• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

He was a slave born in Egypt at the time of the Pharaohs.

Was that true in the comics as well? I never read X-Factor, so I don't really know. If that's his back story in the film, it certainly makes sense for him to sport a costume that's reminiscent of Egyptian gods than that dumb costume from the comics with the big "A" for a belt buckle.

Yes. He's always been born in ancient Egypt. His immortality & mutant powers were augmented with Celestial tech however. So he's a got that mix of mutant, ancient Egyptian & Celestial tech all mixed together. I'm guessing they went for the more Egyptian look because they obviously can't mention the Celestial stuff.

Rise of Apocalypse #1-4 took him back to his roots, didn't it? That was where we find out he was part of the Egyptians

The being who would later be called Apocalypse was born thousands of years ago in Aqaba. He is born with the mutant X-gene, possibly the first living being on Earth to express the gene (though that has been disputed with new characters developing in the Marvel multiverse) and a side-effect of this gives him gray skin and blue lips.

Then he was also mentioned being present with the Living Monolith situation from Marvel Graphic Novel #17.

Rise of Apocalypse #1-4 took him back to his roots, didn't it? That was where we find out he was part of the Egyptians

I'm interested enough in the character to want to read this. Just checked Marvel Comics Online and I can't tell that it's available there if you're a subscriber. :pullhair:

Okay, here we go (VERY SHORT NON-SPOILER review!)

I've made sure not to give away anything specific, but I recommend caution before reading.

I know there will be some who disagree with me for very legitimate reasons, but...

Best damn X-Men movie since X2.

Let me start by saying that the trailers reveal very little of the actual events in the movie, which came as a very pleasant surprise. We learn pretty quickly some new information about Apocalypse and his origin that set a very dark tone and a high bar for the rest of the film, which feeds right into one of the best title sequences I've ever seen. I got emotional during it, which is funny because in retrospect, it's very simple.

The other great thing right off the bat is that it doesn't try to force the fact that it's meant to be an X-Men movie down your throat - this is by far the most unique movie of them all, with some very specific callbacks to every other film in the franchise. We all know Wolverine is in the movie, and all I'll say is his role is specific and doesn't in any way overpower the rest of the cast and plot the way he usually does. I'm terrified of giving anything away, but I'll leave it at that.

Let me also say that where this movie beats Civil War is that you REALLY feel the stakes. There are real injuries in this movie (and definitely the gore to match at some parts) and there is a feeling that not everyone might survive. Apocalypse IS powerful and with the help of the Horsemen, he does do some serious damage that doesn't get retconned (basically, the stuff you saw in the trailers does happen, and more).

I was also pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a few characters and locations I wasn't expecting to see!

Let me focus in and summarize.

The Good:

- Most of the new characters, including Nightcrawler, Cyclops and Jean. At one point or another, all three of them stole the show (especially Jean).

- Most of the returning characters! Quicksilver has another "fast" sequence in this film that is VERY important to the characters and the action and steps it up from DoFP. I teared up during this part. Havok is also fantastic, and Beast looks much better this time around (they fixed the face motion).

- Apocalypse was pretty fantastic. He was dynamic in terms of his form (kind of) and his voice went off the charts cool sometimes, but all within our understanding of his abilities. The "science" added up, so to speak. He looked a little goofy at times but for the most part was purely menacing.

- Storm's role in the film was minor but very cool.

- Xavier's characterization is perfect. He's desperate at times, a baffoon at others, but has chosen his path and will do anything he can to help the kids. Also, he definitely sounds like a believable young Patrick Stewart at key points in the film.

- The tone was perfect. It had just enough Marvel in it to be fun, but took itself seriously.

- Magneto's motivations for joining Apocalypse are pretty perfect. There's a pretty intense scene that had the theatre in stunned silence.

- As seen in the trailers, everyone winds up with their costumes at one point, and they are PERFECT.

- By the end of the movie, it's VERY clear which plotline they're going to follow up with, and it's role in the story is very well timed and believable.

The Bad:

- I was caught off guard with how many injuries we were watching unfold directly. The sound effects during such scenes are almost uncomfortably realistic, such that I would be concerned about bringing kids under 12. Think of it this way - during a Wolverine fight scene, there is lots of blood, while in previous movies there's been none.

- The movie takes place how ever many years later, but the actors all come across as the same age as DoFP.

- Mystique. They made a very specific choice for her character's path post-DoFP and it's felt here, and it was cool, but I'm not sure Mystique was the right character for this specific purpose. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

- Magneto. I'm not sure I like him being a pawn all the time, and so reserved. I miss him being the straight up baddie, which he definitely gets a little bit of here, but I hope he comes back as the main villain soon.

I have much more I'd like to share and discuss once the movie is actually out, but let me leave you with this.

I loved Civil War.

But Civil War didn't have me crying at any point.

This was a movie that knows where it came from and has plans for the future. It knows who the characters are and what they should and shouldn't be. They know which characters need to have relationships and which ones are perfectly fine as background characters to bounce off of. It knows which threads to tug on and which to leave alone. It also knows how to cast a movie pretty perfectly.

I walked away from this movie feeling like a million bucks. I will go see this again, and tell all of my friends to see it.

Is it a perfect movie? But did it absolutely rule?

Yes.

Excellent review. This has my hopes back up after all the trailers kind-of muted them.

Can you tell some spoilers via PM, perhaps? They don't impact my viewing of a film at all and I'd like to know more.

X-Men: Apocalypse Review: Fast, Funny, and Full of Fan-Service

Oscar Isaac’s Apocalypse is pretty much exactly what he needs to be. While you don’t necessarily empathize with him or his motivations, you certainly see him as charismatic and godly. It felt like the aloof nature of the character and his performance was purposeful. Occasionally, he’d talk directly with a mutant and try to guide them along, like a slightly condescending parent – Apocalypse truly believes he’s fair above all others, and that shows.

The final standout of the film we’re not going to spoil here. Let’s just say that tease at the end of the final trailer is insanely well paid-off, and will leave you more excited for that character than you’ve been since his debut.

X-Men: Apocalypse has a lot of action, balanced with humor and emotion that make you think of more than just “When’s the next superpower?” There’s a ton of fan-service, especially for longtime fans of the X-Men (whether from comics, videogames, the 90s animated series, or the films) and in-jokes (including one laugh-out-loud one at their own expense) that should make X-fans extremely happy.

From the climactic battle all the way through the final scene of the movie, my inner ten-year-old was screaming out loud. The audience of oft-jaded press and guests were whooping and left the theater smiling – a telling indication of a flat-out fun time.

:whee:

I've made sure not to give away anything specific, but I recommend caution before reading.

I know there will be some who disagree with me for very legitimate reasons, but...

Let me start by saying that the trailers reveal very little of the actual events in the movie, which came as a very pleasant surprise. We learn pretty quickly some new information about Apocalypse and his origin that set a very dark tone and a high bar for the rest of the film, which feeds right into one of the best title sequences I've ever seen. I got emotional during it, which is funny because in retrospect, it's very simple.

The other great thing right off the bat is that it doesn't try to force the fact that it's meant to be an X-Men movie down your throat - this is by far the most unique movie of them all, with some very specific callbacks to every other film in the franchise. We all know Wolverine is in the movie, and all I'll say is his role is specific and doesn't in any way overpower the rest of the cast and plot the way he usually does. I'm terrified of giving anything away, but I'll leave it at that.

Let me also say that where this movie beats Civil War is that you REALLY feel the stakes. There are real injuries in this movie (and definitely the gore to match at some parts) and there is a feeling that not everyone might survive. Apocalypse IS powerful and with the help of the Horsemen, he does do some serious damage that doesn't get retconned (basically, the stuff you saw in the trailers does happen, and more).

I was also pleasantly surprised by the inclusion of a few characters and locations I wasn't expecting to see!

The Good:

- Most of the new characters, including Nightcrawler, Cyclops and Jean. At one point or another, all three of them stole the show (especially Jean).

- Most of the returning characters! Quicksilver has another "fast" sequence in this film that is VERY important to the characters and the action and steps it up from DoFP. I teared up during this part. Havok is also fantastic, and Beast looks much better this time around (they fixed the face motion).

- Apocalypse was pretty fantastic. He was dynamic in terms of his form (kind of) and his voice went off the charts cool sometimes, but all within our understanding of his abilities. The "science" added up, so to speak. He looked a little goofy at times but for the most part was purely menacing.

- Xavier's characterization is perfect. He's desperate at times, a baffoon at others, but has chosen his path and will do anything he can to help the kids. Also, he definitely sounds like a believable young Patrick Stewart at key points in the film.

- The tone was perfect. It had just enough Marvel in it to be fun, but took itself seriously.

- Magneto's motivations for joining Apocalypse are pretty perfect. There's a pretty intense scene that had the theatre in stunned silence.

- As seen in the trailers, everyone winds up with their costumes at one point, and they are PERFECT.

- By the end of the movie, it's VERY clear which plotline they're going to follow up with, and it's role in the story is very well timed and believable.

The Bad:

- I was caught off guard with how many injuries we were watching unfold directly. The sound effects during such scenes are almost uncomfortably realistic, such that I would be concerned about bringing kids under 12. Think of it this way - during a Wolverine fight scene, there is lots of blood, while in previous movies there's been none.

- The movie takes place how ever many years later, but the actors all come across as the same age as DoFP.

- Mystique. They made a very specific choice for her character's path post-DoFP and it's felt here, and it was cool, but I'm not sure Mystique was the right character for this specific purpose. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

- Magneto. I'm not sure I like him being a pawn all the time, and so reserved. I miss him being the straight up baddie, which he definitely gets a little bit of here, but I hope he comes back as the main villain soon.

I have much more I'd like to share and discuss once the movie is actually out, but let me leave you with this.

I loved Civil War.

This was a movie that knows where it came from and has plans for the future. It knows who the characters are and what they should and shouldn't be. They know which characters need to have relationships and which ones are perfectly fine as background characters to bounce off of. It knows which threads to tug on and which to leave alone. It also knows how to cast a movie pretty perfectly.

I walked away from this movie feeling like a million bucks. I will go see this again, and tell all of my friends to see it.

Yes.

It reads like you are a huge X-men fan. Nothing wrong with that so am I, but did it taint your review of the film? Were unbiased? Its very hard sometimes.

I hope it is great I just wanted to point that out. I loved the first X-men film, but there were all types of holes I ignored well because of my love for the X-men.

The Good:

The Bad:

I loved Civil War.

Yes.

It reads like you are a huge X-men fan. Nothing wrong with that so am I, but did it taint your review of the film? Were unbiased? Its very hard sometimes.

I hope it is great I just wanted to point that out. I loved the first X-men film, but there were all types of holes I ignored well because of my love for the X-men.

It's possible. I don't consider myself a big X-Men fan, and really don't know much more about them than any other general Marvel collector here. I'm a much bigger Spidey fanboy. If anything, my bias is towards Marvel getting the rights back so in theory, I wanted the movie to flop. It might, if the negative reviews do take over, but I don't feel there was anything so wrong with the movie that I had any reason not to enjoy it. In my head, it legitimately was a well-crafted movie.

On second read, I am very curious as to which lines read as me being a huge X-Men fan. As far as I can tell, everything I commented on was from the perspective of a geek-culture-educated-moviegoer who simply knows his mess, which I consider myself to be.

I can't wait to see this movie I love the X-Men!! Critics and more critics (some good and some bad) so who cares what they say just enjoy the movie for yourself!! We only get a few new movies each year so make the best of it go into it with a positive attitude!!

Edited by Hulk1962

On second read, I am very curious as to which lines read as me being a huge X-Men fan. As far as I can tell, everything I commented on was from the perspective of a geek-culture-educated-moviegoer who simply knows his mess, which I consider myself to be.

Wait a minute. Last time you described yourself as the 'cool dude in a wild mood, and all the ladies love him for his comic knowledge and chiseled features' or something humble like that.

:baiting:

I can't wait to see this movie I love the X-Men!! Critics and more critics (some good and some bad) so who cares what they say just enjoy the movie for yourself!!

Bingo!

I have them all - even Origins for the early Wolverine origin and extensive characters.

Wait a minute. Last time you described yourself as the 'cool dude in a wild mood, and all the ladies love him for his comic knowledge and chiseled features' or something humble like that.

:baiting:

Man, ladies these days love a man dripping with geek juice. :cool:

...and with that sentence, any swag I had has vanished. :cry:

Ouch. 18 reviews in on meta means it's gonna be a stinker critic wise. Trailers looked bad but Singer has made ok movies - seems odd to me to let reviews out 3 weeks early when they're not great.

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 45%!

Rotten Tomatoes X-MEN ratings,

That means I will like it better than BvS!

:whistle: