• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

I like how Bryan Singer has used these power pieces to delve into individual characters. Like he did in Days of Future Past with Quicksilver.

But these new power pieces seem more reserved. Like they are trying not to reveal too much.

It may be nothing to concern myself with. I just felt the previous releases were more entertaining.

I'll tell you where I went wrong in this conversation...

Talking about the "end" of Days of Future Past, I'm considering the present day, accepting that as the new status quo and knowing that adventures will be new from then on. I remembered the scene where Wolverine got fished out of the bay (by Mystique posing as Stryker, right?), but forgot that takes place AFTER the present day when Professor X asks Logan the last thing he remembers. I thought that scene happened before.

So yes, in the final scene of DoFP, Wolverine does not have his metal skeleton. I never thought it was a question whether or not he'd have it in his next movie appearance. While the events leading to his metal skeleton may have changed with the events of DoFP, I don't think the fact that he was going to get it was ever in question. Despite the fact that the events Origins: Wolverine have been re-written in the timeline, I doubt they'd spend much time in future installments rehashing how Wolverine came upon the Weapon X program. I just figured that any future installment would have him with his shiny claws again without much explanation necessary.

I just watched DoFP again tonight - if the original events in that movie originate from Mystique being captured and killed in 1973 how is she part of the original X-Men trilogy, the events of which are clearly shown to have been 'rewritten' at the end of DoFP?

I just watched DoFP again tonight - if the original events in that movie originate from Mystique being captured and killed in 1973 how is she part of the original X-Men trilogy, the events of which are clearly shown to have been 'rewritten' at the end of DoFP?

It does get a little confusing at what point all these movies come together - or don't. The XCU wiki has structured her story based on the chronological appearances.

X-Men Cinematic Universe wiki: Mystique

The next morning when Bolivar Trask, accompanied by Stryker, were going to show off the X-Gene detector to the Vietnamese officials it gave off strong reactions on one of the Generals and exposed the General as Mystique. She transformed to her normal self and knocked out everybody but Trask.

During the Paris Peace Conference, Mystique reveals her true identity, dispatching the guards and shoots Trask dead. However, Mystique was quickly subdued by William Stryker, who recovers, tasers her, and brings her in for experimentation. She went through countless experiments that torture her. The killing caused governments worldwide to fear Mutants and initiate the Sentinel Program. Eventually Mystique's DNA was replicated and installed into the most recent Sentinels, wherein the nature of her powers are distilled and used to enable the Sentinels to adapt to counter mutant abilities. Trask becomes a martyr for the anti-mutant movement.

It looks like they are saying Mystique was experimented on - but not killed. So it must be she was broken out, leading to the colder and more deadly Mystique that appears in X-Men, X2 and X-Men Last Stand.

But what can be more confusing is if we revisit the beginning of DoFP, when the Sentinels take out Sunspot, Iceman and Blink, Bishop and Shadowcat change events even then.

X-Men: Days of Future Past wiki

As the rest of the X-Men fight the other two Sentinels we see how they share Raven's ability to mimic, the Sentinels quickly adapt to the mutants' abilities. Blink finds Iceman and makes a portal for him to enter to defend Shadowcat and Bishop who run to change the past, and save the group.

So they could say the events at the end of DoFP was just one timeline. Though it would be the go-forward timeline for the new movies.

Well, the first X-Men movie was released in 2000, that's 27 years after Mystique being captured in 1973 - where were the Sentinels in all that time?

Well, the first X-Men movie was released in 2000, that's 27 years after Mystique being captured in 1973 - where were the Sentinels in all that time?

The Sentinels were introduced long ago in X-Men #14 (1965).

Xmen_fosse2_zps877c3ad1.gif

After that, how often did they appear in the early comic books? I don't think it was too often, other than some on-going use in the Danger Room.

X-Men #14-16, 68-69, 138, 141.

How did the original Days of Future Past comics explain this story?

The storyline alternates between the present year of 1980 and the future year of 2013. In the future, Sentinels rule a dystopian United States, and mutants are hunted and placed in internment camps. Having conquered North America and hunted all mutants and other superhumans, the Sentinels are turning their attention to the rest of the world. On the eve of a feared nuclear holocaust, the few remaining X-Men send Kitty Pryde's mind backward through time, to possess the body of her younger self and to prevent a pivotal event in mutant–human history and the cause of these events: the assassination of Senator Robert Kelly by Mystique's newly reassembled Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

Working with the present-day X-Men, Kitty Pryde's future self succeeds in her mission and is pulled back to her own time, while her present-day self is returned with no memory of any interim. The world of 2013 is not shown again in this story arc; the present-day X-Men are left to ponder whether their future dystopia has been averted or simply delayed.

Looks like someone has been maintain a Days of Future Past wiki that outlines the printed, animated, live and game versions of the storyline.

Days of Future Past

Movie Version:

X-Men: Days of Future Past is the sequel to First Class. Several actors from the franchise returned, including Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Anna Paquin, Ellen Page, Shawn Ashmore, Daniel Cudmore, Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence, and Lucas Till. Newcomers Peter Dinklage, Omar Sy, Adan Canto, Fan Bingbing, Booboo Stewart and Evan Peters were also signed to play Bolivar Trask, Bishop, Sunspot, Blink, Warpath and Quicksilver, respectively. Although Wolverine is the one to actually return to his "younger" body, director Bryan Singer described Pryde as the prime facilitator and it is Pryde's phasing ability that enables time-travel to happen.[9] In this film, the catalyst for the Sentinel-dominated future was Mystique's assassination of Bolivar Trask and her subsequent capture, with analysis of her DNA allowing humanity to devise a new form of Sentinels that can rapidly adapt to mutant powers. After Shadowcat learns how to use her abilities to 'phase' someone into their past self, the surviving mutants decide to send someone back in time to the 1970s to prevent Mystique from killing Trask, with Wolverine being selected as the process is so physically dangerous that he is the only person who could survive the strain. Although the past Magneto nearly jeopardizes the plan when he tries to kill Mystique and take control of the Sentinels to attack humans, Wolverine is able to work with the younger Xavier and Hank McCoy — including one scene where he acts as a psychic 'bridge' so that the younger Xavier can communicate with his future self — to give the young Xavier a chance to talk Mystique down, resulting in her being publicly shown defending President Richard Nixon from Magneto. Trask is later arrested for trying to sell his designs to foreign powers after failing to get the President to accept his plans. The film ends showing Wolverine waking up in a changed future where there are no Sentinels and the previously-deceased Cyclops and Jean Grey are once again alive.

You made me watch Days of Future Past again, as now I was interested to see if there is a straight answer. But to make it fun, I watched the Rogue Cut. First time I saw the credit scene with Trask.

The only logical answer is alternate timelines.

You made me watch Days of Future Past again, as now I was interested to see if there is a straight answer. But to make it fun, I watched the Rogue Cut. First time I saw the credit scene with Trask.

The only logical answer is alternate timelines.

It is explained at the beginning and during flashbacks.

The alternate timeline begins when Trask isn't killed. The Sentinels were not launched originally because Mutants were hidden. Only after getting her DNA and being revealed leads to an early launch. If you remember Trask did not have funding or Congress until he meets with the President after an open battle with Mutants at the Peace Conference.

In the original timeline Trask's mission is dark - hidden with the research of Mystique's DNA until they can create modern Sentinels.

The shape - shifting Sentinels remain canon without rewriting history because Trask still needed time to develop them.

It can also be explained that this leads to Apocalypse's early awakening because Mutants are now 10 years part of open society.

You're welcome.

Sitting in the audience of the press screening... So pumped. Will report back shortly.

:popcorn:

I so want this to be as good as - if not better - than Days of Future Past.

:wishluck:

Sitting in the audience of the press screening... So pumped. Will report back shortly.

The concept has more legs. Time travel is always fairly goofy in any film, but the idea of an immortal mutant who has been around longer than humans have is a compelling one.

The concept has more legs. Time travel is always fairly goofy in any film, but the idea of an immortal mutant who has been around longer than humans have is a compelling one.

If he has been around longer than humans, what exactly is he a mutant of? (shrug)

Edited by rjrjr

If he has been around longer than humans, what exactly is he a mutant of? (shrug)

I meant to say human civilization, not humans. In the comics they say he's a few thousand years old, whereas the current oldest known sapiens fossil is about 160,000 years old.

I meant to say human civilization, not humans. In the comics they say he's a few thousand years old, whereas the current oldest known sapiens fossil is about 160,000 years old.

He was a slave born in Egypt at the time of the Pharaohs. They're not even the oldest KNOWN civilization. They're only about 5-8,000 years old.

So while yes, he's very very old & nigh immortal, he's not older than human civilization by any stretch either. He's older than western civilization, sure. But there are other civilizations that are even centuries older than the ancient Egyptians.

He was a slave born in Egypt at the time of the Pharaohs.

Was that true in the comics as well? I never read X-Factor, so I don't really know. If that's his back story in the film, it certainly makes sense for him to sport a costume that's reminiscent of Egyptian gods than that dumb costume from the comics with the big "A" for a belt buckle.

apocalypse-cosplay-vs-movie-146212.jpg

He was a slave born in Egypt at the time of the Pharaohs.

Was that true in the comics as well? I never read X-Factor, so I don't really know. If that's his back story in the film, it certainly makes sense for him to sport a costume that's reminiscent of Egyptian gods than that dumb costume from the comics with the big "A" for a belt buckle.

Yes. He's always been born in ancient Egypt. His immortality & mutant powers were augmented with Celestial tech however. So he's a got that mix of mutant, ancient Egyptian & Celestial tech all mixed together. I'm guessing they went for the more Egyptian look because they obviously can't mention the Celestial stuff.