• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink December

128 posts in this topic

I liked that Romita Jr Daredevil splash. I came up short though. $3300 was more than I wanted to spend.

Yes, that seemed a bit pricey to me, and there's really very few pages available to compare it with, but Scott Eder did sell a multiple panel page on ebay recently for well in excess of $2K. Then there's the double page splash that sold in the November Heritage auctions for $5K and change, with a great big image of DD. I think that's the only page with DD in the entire series, and it seems like an even bigger bargain that I initially thought.

Definitely feel lucky to have grabbed that DPS (thumbs u back in August. This time, I won the Nick Fury cover with a similar classic, full-figure image that I look for. Also, my tracking bids won both Kraven's Hunt pages which together comprise a pivotal moment in the story: "Just Peter Parker...There is no spider!...MJ, I love you!" Should display nicely as a pair.

Congrats to others on your wins.

I was 'watching' (marker bids) quite a few pieces

On the Steranko, just proves how the Steranko demand-supply picture is - I am sure if the inks were better it would have gone higher - I'd imagine if inking is your profession it would not be for you - or me.

Below my price expectations (well-bought)

- Camelot 3000 page at $1,200...thought it would go perhaps 25% higher

- Marvel Fanfare 2 pages (2) at ~ $200 - This was a popular book at the time

Pages I was serious about but didn't pony up for

- Kirby/Shores Cap 101 - I like Shores (inks matter, right?) - $9.2k

- Gi Combat 68 - Kubert Rock prototype - I have a Unknown Soldier proto by Heath so this would have made a nice pair - $4.5k

- Kirby/Everett Thor 172 - $6.5k

- Ward / Everett - pussycat page - $760

Other Everett:

TTA 89 page - I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread that this went low...but it had no recognizable characters...so not sure there are enough people to drive the price above $1,500 when you can buy a lukewarm page with characters for $3k (I have a TTA Hercules/minor Hulk, I'd sell for that)

Subby 55 - Everett for under $2K, can't say it went high but not low either - just shows the expertise required to buy outside an auction in this hobby - 70s Everett panel page with Subby have sold publicly anywhere from this to $7.5k in past year or two - and while most of us can see some difference, doubt 'normal' folk could!

Don't think anyone mentioned the Steranko Xmen page. 20K??? I love Steranko, and do not wish to be too negative for buyer or seller, but don't the inks matter? Yes you might expect such an ink-centric comment from me, but those Tartaglione inks are just brutal. I guess there is such a dearth of vintage Steranko art that anything of his get's attention. But just, wow.

Scott

Hi Scott,

I'll be honest. Inks don't matter here as much as Steranko and X-Men. There aren't many SHIELD fans these days, and the Captain America art is even rarer. I used to own this page, and to be honest they are real nice in person. I have another nicer page from the run that I have framed on my wall, and folks who visit always gravitate to it. Steranko's genius still comes through loud and clear on all his pages.

Reserve on this page was $20K and one and only one person tripped it. Frankly, it looks to me like an overpay by someone who really wanted a decent Steranko X-Men page and was willing to pay up to secure an example given how scarce they are. I think most were expecting Reserve Not Met, as this is a good, but far from great, example, but sometimes all it takes is one person to skew a result.

I liked that Romita Jr Daredevil splash. I came up short though. $3300 was more than I wanted to spend.

Yes, that seemed a bit pricey to me, and there's really very few pages available to compare it with, but Scott Eder did sell a multiple panel page on ebay recently for well in excess of $2K. Then there's the double page splash that sold in the November Heritage auctions for $5K and change, with a great big image of DD. I think that's the only page with DD in the entire series, and it seems like an even bigger bargain that I initially thought.

Definitely feel lucky to have grabbed that DPS (thumbs u back in August. This time, I won the Nick Fury cover with a similar classic, full-figure image that I look for. Also, my tracking bids won both Kraven's Hunt pages which together comprise a pivotal moment in the story: "Just Peter Parker...There is no spider!...MJ, I love you!" Should display nicely as a pair.

Congrats to others on your wins.

Even though they are not 'in costume panels' I thought the Kraven's Last Hunt sequence you got was well bought. Sometimes it pays to wait until after the initial hype / offering dies down a bit and pages recycle onto the market. (thumbs u

Frank MIller DD 170 fight page 5500, i think this went right where i expected

What do you guys make of the miller wolverine page. i think if it wasn't colored it would be a10k page. I'm pretty sure it was offered on ebay 2 years ago for less than the current BIN of 8k

I thought that Miller DD 170 page went cheap - I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn up on a dealer site for $7,500-$9,500. If I hadn't picked up a great page from the run recently, I would have definitely bid it up to that range myself as I think it would have made a decent placeholder at that price.

I was very tempted by the Miller Wolverine page. Problem is, of course, that the post-production coloring is very few people's cup of tea, so once you own it, you really own it (as the owner is finding out, having paid more than $10K for it 2 years ago).

No, it sold privately (Allen bought it from Bill Woo a few years ago).

To answer Bronty's question, this is the cover to Uncanny X-Men 281. This happened at the same time as the Jim Lee X-Men #1 launch, and so the Uncanny team lineup changed at the same time (one was the blue team, the other the gold team, IIRC).

Definitely a memorable cover (this book was kind of a big deal at the time), and arguably Portacio's best...but the book itself really had no lasting impact on the X-Men and, having re-read it recently, I have to say that the story was absolutely HORRIBLE.

Did Portacio get a couple of big-haired strippers to pose for him as reference for Jean and Storm? hm

Frank MIller DD 170 fight page 5500, i think this went right where i expected

What do you guys make of the miller wolverine page. i think if it wasn't colored it would be a10k page. I'm pretty sure it was offered on ebay 2 years ago for less than the current BIN of 8k

I thought that Miller DD 170 page went cheap - I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn up on a dealer site for $7,500-$9,500. If I hadn't picked up a great page from the run recently, I would have definitely bid it up to that range myself as I think it would have made a decent placeholder at that price.

I was very tempted by the Miller Wolverine page. Problem is, of course, that the post-production coloring is very few people's cup of tea, so once you own it, you really own it (as the buyer is finding out, having paid more than $10K for it 2 years ago).

5500 is where i would be comfortable on that dd page I agree with your comment re dealers 7500-9500

That post production coloring on the wolverine page has got to be the issue. Lesson for all us boar dies to learn ahead of time.

I was stunned at what the Finch Spider-Woman page went for. I think that was probably the biggest surprise of the auction. While it is a great page, it's still a panel page. When it hit $1k, I was very surprised.

I think that for alot of fans its that one panel of Spider-Woman decending the staircase that will stick in thier brains 10-20 years later when remembering Finch's run on the New Avengers.

Jay

I don't follow as widely as others, but regarding some pieces I was following:

I was very surprised how high these went:

----- Iron Man #135 page (Bingham) -- $3200 (it sold earlier this year

on ComicConnect for $1800, which I thought was a bit high)

----- FF #358 Doom Pin-Up (Frenz) - $4100 (a very nice Frenz/Sinnott splash

but wow, and the other Frenz/Sinnott Doom splash from Thor "only"

went for $1699)

----- New Avengers #4 page (Finch) -- $2601 (that has to be a record for a

panel page of his from Avengers--clearly that very nice Spiderwoman was the cause)

and somewhat surprised at:

----- Avengers Prime #4 cover (Davis) -- $950 (I thought it would have hit

over $1000)

----- Iron Man #96 cover (Hopgood) -- $1899 (somewhat high for this cover

for a variety of reasons)

----- Mighty Avengers #7 cover (Cho) - $6300 (the other Cho covers from his

Avengers run did not do as well on HA--maybe it was the Venom factor)

and I thought the following were just about right:

----- New Avengers Illuminati #1 (Cheung) - $3200

----- Invincible Iron Man #3 cover (Larocca) - $1111

To answer Bronty's question, this is the cover to Uncanny X-Men 281. This happened at the same time as the Jim Lee X-Men #1 launch, and so the Uncanny team lineup changed at the same time (one was the blue team, the other the gold team, IIRC).

Definitely a memorable cover (this book was kind of a big deal at the time), and arguably Portacio's best...but the book itself really had no lasting impact on the X-Men and, having re-read it recently, I have to say that the story was absolutely HORRIBLE.

Did Portacio get a couple of big-haired strippers to pose for him as reference for Jean and Storm? hm

I'm biased, but I think my X-Men 289 cover is his best. It doesn't hurt that Scott Williams did the inking on mine. Both these covers were available in 2008 when I bought mine in San Diego Comic Con. I purposefully chose the 289 as the superior cover, and left the other one. They were at Anthony's booth (not sure who the consignor of them was). Cool thing was that both Whilce and Scott were at the convention, so I was able to get both to sign the cover at the same time! Not much into getting my art signed, but that was a very cool and unique opportunity to buy a cover and get it signed by both penciler and inker all at the same convention.

I'm biased, but I think my X-Men 289 cover is his best. It doesn't hurt that Scott Williams did the inking on mine. Both these covers were available in 2008 when I bought mine in San Diego Comic Con. I purposefully chose the 289 as the superior cover, and left the other one. They were at Anthony's booth (not sure who the consignor of them was). Cool thing was that both Whilce and Scott were at the convention, so I was able to get both to sign the cover at the same time! Not much into getting my art signed, but that was a very cool and unique opportunity to buy a cover and get it signed by both penciler and inker all at the same convention.

Great Choice!

Curiously, ComicLink listed the page as Layton (primary) and Bingham (secondary) whereas ComicConnect listed it as Bingham (pencils) and Layton (inker)....may explain the higher price realized with more prominent Layton credits. Not sure which is more accurate.

(shrug)

Curiously, ComicLink listed the page as Layton (primary) and Bingham (secondary) whereas ComicConnect listed it as Bingham (pencils) and Layton (inker)....may explain the higher price realized with more prominent Layton credits. Not sure which is more accurate.

(shrug)

Which is weird because Layton inks would make it more valuable to me since his inks would dominate the image you'd see.

(shrug)

In issue #135 Bingham is listed as "pencil art" and Layton is listed as "plot/finished art" -- contrast that to issue #133 where Bingham is listed as "layouts" and Layton is listed as "plot/finished art"

While Layton's first few issues in Iron Man listed him as "inks", most of the run he is listed as "finished art" and the penciller (JR JR/Bingham) is listed as "pencil art" (except when Layton was also the penciller and then he is listed as "artist")

I

Other Everett:

TTA 89 page - I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread that this went low...but it had no recognizable characters...so not sure there are enough people to drive the price above $1,500 when you can buy a lukewarm page with characters for $3k (I have a TTA Hercules/minor Hulk, I'd sell for that)

Subby 55 - Everett for under $2K, can't say it went high but not low either - just shows the expertise required to buy outside an auction in this hobby - 70s Everett panel page with Subby have sold publicly anywhere from this to $7.5k in past year or two - and while most of us can see some difference, doubt 'normal' folk could!

The TTA did not have Subby on the page so while it was a quality piece I'm sure that absence affected the bidding.

The Subby 55 did not look like Everett inks at all to me. A big part of the joy of Everett's art to me is his inking and I suspect that it probably matters to others as well.

I want a Wolverine page but no way I am buying a page that has been colored.

Ceterus paribus, I'd want an uncolored page as well. But, some of the nicer pages from the series, like this one, have been colored and, to me, look pretty cool. That said, I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable spending $8K for a colored page, let alone the $10K+ the page fetched at Heritage in 2011. 2c