• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF1 or Showcase 4...which is in 2nd place in the SA?

156 posts in this topic

If we're talking about importance, Showcase 4 > Fantastic Four 1 > Amazing Fantasy 15. Showcase 4 got the ball rolling for the Second Heroic Age and Fantastic Four 1 kicked off Stan Lee's Marvel Universe. Granted, Amazing Fantasy 15 is currently far and away the most popular comic of the three but that's not the same thing as the most important of the three.

:preach:

If we're talking about importance, Showcase 4 > Fantastic Four 1 > Amazing Fantasy 15. Showcase 4 got the ball rolling for the Second Heroic Age and Fantastic Four 1 kicked off Stan Lee's Marvel Universe. Granted, Amazing Fantasy 15 is currently far and away the most popular comic of the three but that's not the same thing as the most important of the three.

+1

If you believe that Showcase 4 is not overrated and is the book that started the SA, and first SA appearances can be at times more significant than original creations, than this book could be more valuable if demand and supply for the two books is similar.

Otherwise, the book that started the Marvel Silver Age is more historically significant and valuable.

Having both books in your collection solves this issue.

..... my thinking is similar. I think one of the reasons that this issue can never be fully resolved is that it attempts to signify Marvel and D.C. as the same.....which they aren't. They were available at the same time..... but two different animals completely. Each has it's own advocates and I'm glad to say I appreciate both publishers ..... and I would be hard pressed to decide. Each publisher has it's own timeline..... and without the competition that Marvel provided a few years after DC kicked it off, who knows if there would have even BEEN a Silver Age ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'm a lifelong FF fan...... so it's hard for me to be unbiased...

I vote for scarcity of the SA keys. You may find 20 FF #1 for each Showcase #4 or 10 AF #15 for each Showcase #4 at a comicon.

And migrate up the grading scale. No comparison which one is scarcer in > 6.0.

I like the person who said buy both. :golfclap:

..... my thinking is similar. I think one of the reasons that this issue can never be fully resolved is that it attempts to signify Marvel and D.C. as the same.....which they aren't. They were available at the same time..... but two different animals completely. Each has it's own advocates and I'm glad to say I appreciate both publishers ..... and I would be hard pressed to decide. Each publisher has it's own timeline..... and without the competition that Marvel provided a few years after DC kicked it off, who knows if there would have even BEEN a Silver Age ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'm a lifelong FF fan...... so it's hard for me to be unbiased...

I agree.

AF15>Hulk 1>FF1>Showcase 4

Agreed, these books are both behind Hulk

That order is the same thing I was thinking. It will be interesting to see what book will fall into third place now, FF1 will get a boost with the new movie coming in 2015 and the Showcase will get a boost with the new Flash TV show.

Was thinking about this recently...Historically, Famous Funnies nn (or #1 - take your pick) is more important than Action #1, but honestly, which would you rather have?

Historically, if you believe Showcase 4 launched the Silver Age, then perhaps its extremely important to you. However, I don't find the character to be relevant, and it was several years before he was deemed popular enough to support his own title.

Having a book for historys' sake is nice, but I'd much rather have a book that is relevant to me, and in particular, DC characters never did anything for me compared with Marvel Silver Age characters and I'm sure that applies to a lot of boardies. I've always been happy/interested/passionate about chasing Marvel Keys, and never about DC Silver...its just not relevant to me and quite frankly, with very few exceptions, DC Silver Age is lame.

On the flipside, DC rules the Golden Age. Marvel rules the Silver Age, and honestly, that's all there is to it.

Do this...

Ask any grade school kid to name superheroes and I can bet that Flash nor any member of FF come up.

You will hear:

Superman

Batman

Iron Man

Hulk

Spider-man

Thor (maybe)

Like it or not these are the kids who will be relieving you of your collections....

AF15>Hulk 1>FF1>Showcase 4

Agreed, these books are both behind Hulk

That order is the same thing I was thinking. It will be interesting to see what book will fall into third place now, FF1 will get a boost with the new movie coming in 2015 and the Showcase will get a boost with the new Flash TV show.

I agree with that order as well

Do this...

Ask any grade school kid to name superheroes and I can bet that Flash nor any member of FF come up.

You will hear:

Superman

Batman

Iron Man

Hulk

Spider-man

Thor (maybe)

Like it or not these are the kids who will be relieving you of your collections....

Good list.

I would remove Superman and Thor, and add Wolverine/X-Men

Historically, if you believe Showcase 4 launched the Silver Age, then perhaps its extremely important to you. However, I don't find the character to be relevant....

Relevant? Relevant! Are you forgetting that we're discussing comic book superheroes here? None of them are relevant in any meaningful sense of the word.

...and it was several years before he was deemed popular enough to support his own title.

Put it down to the editors at DC being sticks in the mud. When they did give the Flash a title of his own, it went on an uninterrupted run of over fifty years and counting. Moreover the verdict of history is that his appearance in Showcase 4 kicked off the Silver Age. While that's not exactly relevant in the real world, it passes for such in the comic magazine universe.

I should also point out that on first attempt your main man the Hulk supported a title for only six issues before it was cancelled.

Having a book for historys' sake is nice, but I'd much rather have a book that is relevant to me, and in particular, DC characters never did anything for me compared with Marvel Silver Age characters and I'm sure that applies to a lot of boardies. I've always been happy/interested/passionate about chasing Marvel Keys, and never about DC Silver...its just not relevant to me and quite frankly, with very few exceptions, DC Silver Age is lame.

Flash, Green Lantern, Justice League, Atom, Aquaman are all still "relevant" (using your word) to me because they're the titles that really drew me into comics when I was a kid in 1961-62 and they were the ones I bought until 1964-65 when I moved onto other interests such as Mad, hot rod/drag magazines and the Warrens..

With respect to Marvel just like any other little kid I liked all the punch-ups on every page and the continuity that Stan Lee wrote into all the titles was a powerfully appealing factor. It made you want to get the other issues! But all that emoting put me off. I mean even as a kid I was thinking that real men should suck it up and shouldn't be wrestling with all these personal problems right up front in their comic mags! Worse yet the artwork just seemed crude compared with DC's polished house style. As a result the Marvel comics on the newsstands never actually manage to draw my quarters and dimes.

Do this...

You will hear:

Superman

Batman

Iron Man

Hulk

Spider-man

Thor (maybe)

Good list.

I would remove Superman and Thor, and add Wolverine/X-Men

I love FF1 but I believe TOS 39 will prove to be the more important book over time based on pop culture and those who grew up with the character.

Of course, I am a bit biased but I really believe that behind AF15 is TOS 39 and then Hulk 1/FF1