• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Are Your Favourite Methods For Storing Your Moderns?

21 posts in this topic

Hi All. I'm a new-ish poster on these boards and I was curious as to what are some of your preferred methods for storing your favourite/valuable, unslabbed moderns for maximum preservation/presentation purposes. Right now I'm just putting mine inside standard bags with boards and then sliding that into a top loader. Doesn't seem adequate to me though. I'm curious what you all are doing?

-J.

if its long term or high value, you want mylar, but for 99% of my raw books its just standard bag and board. As long as the environment/room they are in is good, shouldnt be a problem. No basements (tsk)

Thank you guys I appreciate the responses. If anyone else has any tips or tricks I would love to hear them. And yes I was indeed asking for higher dollar moderns. Basically $100+ prized variant covers that I have.

But right now mylites2 with full or half backer boards slipped into a top loader seems to be the general consensus for the "better" books. I never even knew mylites2 existed until right now. Thank you again for your replies.

-J.

All my Walking Dead floppies go in these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201003111158

with a backing board.

Those are way too wide for a modern book - your books would be swimming in that bag.

But right now mylites2 with full or half backer boards slipped into a top loader seems to be the general consensus for the "better" books. I never even knew mylites2 existed until right now. Thank you again for your replies.

Toploaders are not archival-safe - so you'd basically be taking an archival-safe storage solution (mylar with a true acid-free backing board) and putting it inside one that's not ... which doesn't make much sense.

Usually, I'll purchase 2 copies of my favorite series issues; the copy that I've just read (which is once), will simply be bagged & boarded...with the spare copy, I'll put a couple pieces of microchamber paper in the inside front & inside back of the book, place it in a single bag without the board, then place it in a slightly larger bag with board, upside down, to prevent any unseen dust particles to enter the bag, just in case...

Would love to "mylar" them all, but I save them for older books..plus, mylars are so expensive these days... :o

All my Walking Dead floppies go in these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201003111158

with a backing board.

Those are way too wide for a modern book - your books would be swimming in that bag.

Toploaders are not archival-safe - so you'd basically be taking an archival-safe storage solution (mylar with a true acid-free backing board) and putting it inside one that's not ... which doesn't make much sense.

+1 Using a SA/GA size mylar for a modern book is like not taping a bag to cardboard when shipping - you're just asking for trouble. Key words are "limit movement within" but large enough to avoid any stress when removing or re-inserting.

Mylites2s and fullbacks

(thumbs u

double (thumbs u , but only for some books that are more desirable, or I just like them and they are in top shape. Most of my stuff just gets the standard SA size bag with 1 to 2 backing boards-the re-sealable kind.

Mylites2s and fullbacks

(thumbs u

double (thumbs u , but only for some books that are more desirable, or I just like them and they are in top shape. Most of my stuff just gets the standard SA size bag with 1 to 2 backing boards-the re-sealable kind.

Great advice thank you all. Looks like I'll go with mylites2 and fullbacks (no top loaders) for the $10-$100 books, and anything more valuable or "collectible" than that I will just go ahead and spring for the slab cost. I just always seem to suffer from a bit of separation anxiety whenever I ship books off to CGC. :pullhair:

-J.

PS: Great Signature Lines, Flatliner and ThoseBackPages. (worship)