• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

6,328 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I don't know...I don't have the book in hand, but it looks like a bug chew to me.  I know it isn't brittle...

Believe it or not (and i think those who know him will believe it) Joe Naaca called this book a 6.0...

Looks like a sharp copy, other than the corner, but I don't see it as a 6.0.  Be a stretch to make it to 5.0, imo.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My first L.B. Cole . . . This is just a screen grab from ebay(yes, I still look around in there and occasionally find something)

9C450182-F105-4AD9-8A1B-6FF5631CC488.jpeg

Nice.  Did you just get this book?  It's not showing up in the ebay sold listings...Oh wait, now I see it in the completed listings.  Did u make a deal with the seller for a lower price?

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

A few bucks off, is all.  I paid triple guide.  I’m not sure how long the book was up on the internet before I spotted it.

I haven't checked the census, but I think that book is quite scarce in that grade, and L.B.Cole classic covers are taking off for outer space $$$-wise...  (thumbsu  Amazing first pick up for a cole book...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

7 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I haven't checked the census, but I think that book is quite scarce in that grade, and L.B.Cole classic covers are taking off for outer space $$$-wise...  (thumbsu  Amazing first pick up for a cole book...

Surprisingly its tied with one other book for the number one spot.  I found the other using Heritage historical search, and when I saw the other highest book had tan pages, I figured YES on this one.  I tried to buy one unsuccessfully back in the early nineties out of the Comics Buyers Guide, so I was surprised and ready to move when I found this in eBay.  I guess that’s how bad I have the comic bug:  I still comb thru there, looking.  I remember when it was Mecca there.

Thanks for the kind words, Tri-ColorBrian.

5 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Surprisingly its tied with one other book for the number one spot.  I found the other using Heritage historical search, and when I saw the other highest book had tan pages, I figured YES on this one.  I tried to buy one unsuccessfully back in the early nineties out of the Comics Buyers Guide, so I was surprised and ready to move when I found this in eBay.  I guess that’s how bad I have the comic bug:  I still comb thru there, looking.  I remember when it was Mecca there.

Thanks for the kind words, Tri-ColorBrian.

Don't knock ebay too much.  I still find a lot of deals on there...but my tastes are sometimes different than everyone else's... lol  I have been slowly filling in and upgrading some of my SA runs (and also a few undervalued GA books) from ebay.  It just takes patience to find the best buys.  It can be very frustrating to wade thru all the poorly graded and high priced stuff.  I have a long list of sellers I will never buy from on ebay.  Unfortunately, I was not looking at it back in the early days...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

On 2/15/2018 at 8:07 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My first L.B. Cole . . . This is just a screen grab from ebay(yes, I still look around in there and occasionally find something)

9C450182-F105-4AD9-8A1B-6FF5631CC488.jpeg

Love it!

Most recent Cole acquisition :bigsmile:

"This is one very tough L.B. Cole cover issue to acquire in any condition, let alone one of the Top 2 highest graded that CGC has ever certified. A bright and fresh Fine+ CGC 6.5, this is the highest graded for Popular Teen-Agers #5 and it's one of just 2 ever graded by CGC at this top tier."

DSC01940.JPG

8 minutes ago, pmpknface said:

A quick pickup, while these Cole books are still reasonable...

s-l1600.jpg

A cool and very obscure Cole cover. It also has one of my favorite "subset" themes...a manhole cover! Funny Animal books seem to be about the only genre left (with certain exceptions) that still hasn't taken off yet. Luckily, Matt Baker didn't do any "good cat" or "good mouse" covers...

True - I didn't even think about the manhole aspect, although that is cool.  I looked this book up on Heritage and I found a graded one that just says "LB Cole art" so maybe he did some interior art too, but he does get credit for the covers of this short run.  I think now I have a 1 & 7.  Looks like I've got some hunting to do!  

49 minutes ago, Jayman said:

The little "window pane" shines on the shoes are a dead giveaway.

I would tend to say NOT Cole. There is just something about it that doesn't seem quite right if you compare it to say is Frisky Animals or Holiday covers. Maybe the colors, maybe the lack of detail. I can't think of any cover he did that is not signed either. Cool cover nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I would tend to say NOT Cole. There is just something about it that doesn't seem quite right if you compare it to say is Frisky Animals or Holiday covers. Maybe the colors, maybe the lack of detail. I can't think of any cover he did that is not signed either. Cool cover nonetheless.

I agree.  Even Cole's funny animals are not necessarily penciled by him as Jay Disbrow said that on more than one occasion he would ink over someone else's pencils but still sign it.

26 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I agree.  Even Cole's funny animals are not necessarily penciled by him as Jay Disbrow said that on more than one occasion he would ink over someone else's pencils but still sign it.

Interesting to know. I was about to say possibly Cole pencils with someone else's inks. Hence why it doesn't look "quite right". Until your statement I thought Cole penciled all his Funny Animal work. All of his cartoon characters tend to have that shiny balloon effect on them with those window pane highlights. Now I'm back to being not sure...hm