• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
39 39

5,954 posts in this topic

On 1/6/2024 at 7:09 PM, pmpknface said:

I need MORE POWER!  ;)  I'd grab a reader of #2 if an affordable one was such a thing just to complete the set (plus it's pretty cool) but these 3 will have to do for now.  The #1 will have to get put in a CGC slab but I can share the cover at least.  GetImage.aspx?c=5694040&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

GetImage.aspx?c=5694041&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

Power_1a_NO_LABEL.jpg

Great stuff, Jaime! I'm 99% sure I owned that copy of Power #4 for many years. If memory serves, a bit of bug chew/fraying on the back of the spine?

On 1/6/2024 at 8:03 PM, Point Five said:

Great stuff, Jaime! I'm 99% sure I owned that copy of Power #4 for many years. If memory serves, a bit of bug chew/fraying on the back of the spine?

Well, I'm glad I took a back cover scan!  You tell me!  (BTW - part of the reason I'm doing this is to add them to my registry so all of these scans if they are CGC books can be seen there, including this)

GetImage.aspx?c=5694041&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=

Also in the realm of "have fun trying to collect" here's 2.  I have no idea how many others there are in this run.  They are 14.5" x 10.25" and don't fit on my scanner.  I got as much of them as I could at once, otherwise I'll have to just take pics.  One was from a boardie and the other I think I found on ebay (the supermarket one).  

I present the most likely rarest of Cole space covers and the most off the wall cover!  :D 

Supermarket_1.jpg

In Space_1.jpg

On 1/6/2024 at 8:30 PM, pmpknface said:

Well, I'm glad I took a back cover scan!  You tell me!  (BTW - part of the reason I'm doing this is to add them to my registry so all of these scans if they are CGC books can be seen there, including this)

GetImage.aspx?c=5694041&t=Full&f=Rev&cb=

Yup, that's it!  (thumbsu  That area around the top staple is what I was thinking of. Like a stain weakened the cover stock there and a few bits flaked off.

On 1/6/2024 at 11:55 PM, pmpknface said:

One more for tonight.  Magazine sized too. 

Dick_Tracy_1.jpg

I'm glad he signed that for who would know he did that work :bigsmile:

Did LB Cole draw any really amazing interior stories, or did he save all his juice for the covers? The stories I've seen of his (only a few, to be fair) have been fairly lackluster.

On 1/16/2024 at 11:05 AM, Point Five said:

Did LB Cole draw any really amazing interior stories, or did he save all his juice for the covers? The stories I've seen of his (only a few, to be fair) have been fairly lackluster.

Well, there's always this famous spread:

image.png.419301cde33dd6cf31f268578104c64a.png

I think some of his interiors were pretty good for the time.  He didn't do that many though.  I have some of his Ace and some on other Manhunt work that I haven't had graded yet.  I'll have to dig them out and take some pics and you can decide for yourself.  

Edited by pmpknface

On 1/16/2024 at 11:19 AM, pmpknface said:

Well, there's always this famous spread:

image.png.419301cde33dd6cf31f268578104c64a.png

I think some of his interiors were pretty good for the time.  He didn't do that many though.  I have some of his Ace and some on other Manhunt work that I haven't had graded yet.  I'll have to dig them out and take some pics and you can decide for yourself.  

Yes, I forgot about this! This is an awesome splash.

Sure, when time allows I'd be curious what those Manhunt stories look like.  (thumbsu