• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,906 posts in this topic

Here's a recent pickup.  After going through my animal books I was missing this one and needed to fill the hole in the run.  Not many out there, but this is ok for now.  Here's one of those miscuts:

image.thumb.jpeg.d96b491e2a3b659fa80c7252e3c96368.jpeg

For fun I played with the color a bit.  Here's the same book after playing with some options:

image.thumb.jpeg.fae10fe4a49cda07a46536efa7c0f810.jpeg

So what's the symbolism on Suspense 7? On a lot of his stuff the theme is greed, temptation or time to pay the piper for you gluttonous, debaucherous ways type stuff. Here we have Mr. Nobody operating three marionettes, a killer, a hot blonde perhaps in a ballerina suit running from the killer, and a skeleton playing a violin. Any thoughts? 

Not my book of course.

1944 12 Suspense 7.jpg

On 2/29/2024 at 7:52 AM, Professor K said:

So what's the symbolism on Suspense 7? On a lot of his stuff the theme is greed, temptation or time to pay the piper for you gluttonous, debaucherous ways type stuff. Here we have Mr. Nobody operating three marionettes, a killer, a hot blonde perhaps in a ballerina suit running from the killer, and a skeleton playing a violin. Any thoughts? 

Not my book of course.

1944 12 Suspense 7.jpg

Life playing out on a string sounds right to me

On 2/29/2024 at 7:52 AM, Professor K said:

Not my book of course.

1944 12 Suspense 7.jpg

Dancing with death?  Just a guess...

On 2/29/2024 at 11:08 AM, pmpknface said:

Just went through the issue on the digital museum, no puppets.  Mr. Nobody was kind of like a background "I know what's going on" character as things unfolded.  So it also speaks to our "host" in the series.  LB Cole sig on this page:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/preview/index.php?did=17321&page=11

Hey, for some reason I can't load that site. I read it here https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1088

Probably just a cool idea for a cover that L.B. thought up. Puppets on a string. 

Edited by Professor K
Changed my post a little so I don't sound like a total cornball

Cole's a trip, man, the guy's absolutely in touch with some sort of cosmic horror vibe or there's all these covers dripping in blood with monsters from the id, but then you see the Classics Illustrated Juniors or tweaked out funny animal covers.  I love his art, but the guy's a total mystery.

On 3/1/2024 at 10:01 AM, Johnny545 said:

A CGC 8.5 copy went for a strong $19K last night in the Clink auction.

Overall the Cole books did pretty good!  That STT #17 took the cake though.  WoW!

The Mask #1 in 3.0 ended at $12.5 which is pretty much on point where that book / grade has been. The STT #5 continues to be a hot book at $7.3 for a 7.5.The Suspense #7 in 7.0 got $12.2.  I don't have comparative prices for the Spook 6.0's but they seemed to do well.  It'll be interesting to see what the All-Famous Police #11 does tonight!

On 3/1/2024 at 7:56 AM, pmpknface said:

Overall the Cole books did pretty good!  That STT #17 took the cake though.  WoW!

The Mask #1 in 3.0 ended at $12.5 which is pretty much on point where that book / grade has been. The STT #5 continues to be a hot book at $7.3 for a 7.5.The Suspense #7 in 7.0 got $12.2.  I don't have comparative prices for the Spook 6.0's but they seemed to do well.  It'll be interesting to see what the All-Famous Police #11 does tonight!

Agreed, strong prices all around for nearly all the Cole books.  STT #5 was one I thought was going quite a bit higher (think someone got a good deal here), to me it is one of his very best covers.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:56 AM, pmpknface said:

What is STT #17?