• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has the walking dead comic series "jumped the shark"?

30 posts in this topic

Well on topic, I still love the book. It is moved the top of the stack as soon as I get home from the store, and I always enjoy reading it. It is constantly a solid read and rarely disappoints.

The events of 100 proved that anyone is at risk, in my opinion. I still think there is a chance Rick could die as a result of the current storyline, although I think it is doubtful because of the popularity of the show.

I've never felt Rick was weak. If anything Kirkman did a great job humanizing Rick. When he was struggling to get by and survive, I really felt like anyone in a similar situation would too. Rick also seemed to come out the other end stronger even though he still questioned himself at odd times.

I still don't understand why people follow Rick Superior Spider-man. He has made so many bad decisions, it isn't funny. He also isn't very likeable. I have been reading the floppies these last 5 1 years and have been consistently disappointed. I feel like I am stuck in a bad marriage and hoping she will change back into the girl I dated. But for some reason I cannot file for divorce. I must be a sadist.

Fixed that for my purposes.

I've never felt Rick was weak. If anything Kirkman did a great job humanizing Rick. When he was struggling to get by and survive, I really felt like anyone in a similar situation would too. Rick also seemed to come out the other end stronger even though he still questioned himself at odd times.

I agree witj you that Kirkman was trying to humanize Rick. I just think he humanized him in a wimpy and whiney manner. I can see how it can make a character sympathetic to the audience but it just didn't work for me. I mostly see him as a big f up and wonder why people follow him.

since the something to fear storyline ended and the all out war run began i've become bored with the walking dead series. Not trying to add any spoilers but a 2 page spread of some character screaming out something about believing in rick grimes hardly seems to be a revelation. i had hoped that issue #115 would've been the death of the latest villian but sadly it has not happenned. My guess is kirkman is still formulating what the next storyline will be and wants to drag this out over the next 6-12 issues. this book is moving slower than the zombies without legs these days. just my opinion feel free to pile on or tell me i'm wrong and how cool the series remains.
Jumping the shark would be bringing someone back to life, not killing off villains fast enough for one's liking.

since the something to fear storyline ended and the all out war run began i've become bored with the walking dead series. Not trying to add any spoilers but a 2 page spread of some character screaming out something about believing in rick grimes hardly seems to be a revelation. i had hoped that issue #115 would've been the death of the latest villian but sadly it has not happenned. My guess is kirkman is still formulating what the next storyline will be and wants to drag this out over the next 6-12 issues. this book is moving slower than the zombies without legs these days. just my opinion feel free to pile on or tell me i'm wrong and how cool the series remains.
Jumping the shark would be bringing someone back to life, not killing off villains fast enough for one's liking.

Not true at all.

The TV show was as boring as hell when they were on Hershel's farm shooting the breeze like nothing was wrong.

Just like a shark if a story stops moving it will die.

I don't think this is entirely fair. The OP is talking about the current storyline in the comics. It's not about the TV show, it's not about the bubble on pricing popping. Nor is it really about what looks to be the general discussion of the comic. That mostly seems to be people showing off their latest acquisitions.

Probably belongs in the modern forum, but otherwise it seems to be different than the threads above.

Not true at all.

The TV show was as boring as hell when they were on Hershel's farm shooting the breeze like nothing was wrong.

Well, it could have other meanings to other people - but the popular meaning of "jumping the shark" actually comes from the Happy Day's TV show. It is the episode where the Fonz jumped a shark on water skis. It was regarded as the lowest point of the TV show and widely ridiculed. The show ran for another seven years but the feeling amoung fans and critics is after that episode the writers ran out of good ideas and the show became something of a caricature of itself. So the meaning of "jumping the shark" is when something that was popular reaches a notable low point - usually something ridiculous - and begins an inevitable decline in quality and popularity.

Not true at all.

"Jumping the shark" is traditionally meant an event that breaks the suspension of disbelief. An outrageous plot twist. Not a lack of action. The phrase was coined when Fonzie literally jumped over a shark on waterski's. For me, superhero comics jumped the shark at the end of Funeral For A Friend and Knightfall. That's the moment I realized I couldn't read them anymore, the point where I noticed the gimmicks came before the story. Once you see it you can't unsee it.

But you could argue the end of the first season of TWD jumped the shark with that science lab explosion. I've never seen the term used to describe a lack of action though. What an ironic name for business as usual, jumping over a shark. That's kind of like calling a boring basketball game a halfcourt 360 slam dunk.

"Jumping the shark is an idiom created by Jon Hein that was used to describe the moment in the evolution of a television show when it begins a decline in quality that is beyond recovery, which is usually a particular scene, episode, or aspect of a show in which the writers use some type of "gimmick" in a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest. Its name is taken from a scene from a fifth season episode of the sit-com Happy Days when the character Fonzie jumps over a shark on water-skis.

In its initial usage, it referred to the point in a television program's history when the program had outlived its freshness and viewers had begun to feel that the show's writers were out of new ideas, often after great effort was made to revive interest in the show by the writers, producers, or network.[1][2][3]

The usage of "jump the shark" has subsequently broadened beyond television, indicating the moment when a brand, design, or creative effort's evolution loses the essential qualities that initially defined its success and declines, ultimately, into irrelevance."

You guys are taking it too literally.

When a once great (good?) show starts to suck it has jumped the shark.

When Ricks mostly nomadic group finds a home n Herschel's farm with its shelter and abundant resources well there is your gimmick right there.

Fortunately the writers wised up and had a herd of roamers tear the place down.