• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scientific explanations of why reserve auctions don't work

243 posts in this topic

No the show doesn't specifically address reserve auctions but the information gleaned from it can be extrapolated to explain why they rarely work.

Kav what looking to get for Christmas.....1000 post? I give you credit for starting all these threads. Some are pretty good. Enjoy your new found love.

What can I say? I don't have a life....and people seem to gravitate to my posts....it gives them pleasure to mock me or chuckle and i don't mind....it's a win-win.

ps the best way to ignore me would be to just ignore me-not keep posting 'just ignore him' and 'dont feed the troll'.

Good for you.....don't think I could start a thread in here. hm ....maybe that's a topic you can run with. Do people feel if they start a thread here it will be a waste of time? Seems like it's about points and insults. I don't think I ever would start one in comic general. It's like a train wreck I can't seem to stop looking at.

anyone watching the video will see the discussion on 'anchoring' where people were asked to put the last 2 digits of their SSN on the back of their bid card then bid on a bottle of wine. The people with the highest SSN bid the highest. With a reserve auction there's no initial number to anchor on.

Good for you.....don't think I could start a thread in here. hm ....maybe that's a topic you can run with. Do people feel if they start a thread here it will be a waste of time? Seems like it's about points and insults. I don't think I ever would start one in comic general. It's like a train wreck I can't seem to stop looking at.

You're a wise man, James. You said it all. Would love to see a PBS special on forum dynamics and the perpetual need for an 'odd man out' similar to classroom bullying. Every single class has one kid everyone picks on-it's some basic human need.

You could definitely start a thread in here! I will give you a hint on how to do it - look at how kav started out and don't do that.

;)

-slym

Just like there's a kid in every class that can't stand not being the center of attention.

This is true but that's always a different kid-the popular kid. I say this as a teacher of 12 years.

Which do you see yourself as?