• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scientific explanations of why reserve auctions don't work

243 posts in this topic

Now I have to go buy me a Hershey's bar and cut it up to see how I am missing this optical illusion.

What if you cut it up and keep gettin an extra piece????

I dont bother with reserve auctions unless the seller happens to have the only copy of whatever I'm looking for to have come up for sale in at least several months. Even then I'd rather not. Set the opening bid as your reserve and quit cluttering up the real auctions with your 99 cent opening bid that nobody is going to actually get.

RIGHT???

never saw a reserve auction that succeeded-not to say it never happens but whenever i come across one i put it on watch list and it's always a wallflower....

Now I have to go buy me a Hershey's bar and cut it up to see how I am missing this optical illusion.

Then I never have to buy a Hershey's bar again.

I hate to break the news to the scientists...

If I want it. I am going to get it.

You're not the typical consumer though. And you'll probably get it cheaper from a reserve auction since others avoid them-unless it's some ridiculously outlandish price...which actually it usually is....hmmm....would you overpay if you really wanted something? Like $20,000 for a $5000 kirby page?

I overpaid by $3500 because I wanted a 6.0 AF15 without chipped pages and a vibrant cover. (That and I forgot that I pay tax when buying through Heritage.)

I just overpaid by about $500 (maybe a little more) because the ST110 6.0 that I saw looked better than all the other ST110 6.0's that I was being offered by people and actually looked like a 7.0-7.5 (Maybe 7.5 with a press... maybe) candidate.

Original Art is hard NOT to justify overpayment for since each piece is individual. There are certain purchases that are personal to each person. If someone identifies with the image or the page and has the means, then nothing will stop them from getting it as they have a personal attachment to it and if they do not get it, they may never get the chance again.

In retrospect, I should have bid a LOT more than I did for the Romita JR page I wanted in last month's CLink auction. I lost it around 7-8 years ago and was very interested when it resurfaced. I doubt it will ever come up again and I am aware of it.

I know the feeling. There's a Swanderson page that still haunts me.

I dropped out of CL's auction of Kirby's cover to Omac 2 at about 8k. I think it went for $8800. That one still haunts me. I've not seen another Kirby cover I like for half that amount....

You're not the typical consumer though. And you'll probably get it cheaper from a reserve auction since others avoid them-unless it's some ridiculously outlandish price...which actually it usually is....hmmm....would you overpay if you really wanted something? Like $20,000 for a $5000 kirby page?

I overpaid by $3500 because I wanted a 6.0 AF15 without chipped pages and a vibrant cover. (That and I forgot that I pay tax when buying through Heritage.)

I just overpaid by about $500 (maybe a little more) because the ST110 6.0 that I saw looked better than all the other ST110 6.0's that I was being offered by people and actually looked like a 7.0-7.5 (Maybe 7.5 with a press... maybe) candidate.

Original Art is hard NOT to justify overpayment for since each piece is individual. There are certain purchases that are personal to each person. If someone identifies with the image or the page and has the means, then nothing will stop them from getting it as they have a personal attachment to it and if they do not get it, they may never get the chance again.

In retrospect, I should have bid a LOT more than I did for the Romita JR page I wanted in last month's CLink auction. I lost it around 7-8 years ago and was very interested when it resurfaced. I doubt it will ever come up again and I am aware of it.

I dropped out of CL's auction of Kirby's cover to Omac 2 at about 8k. I think it went for $8800. That one still haunts me. I've not seen another Kirby cover I like for half that amount....

Ouch. That's a nice cover.

I'm gonna start cutting up my AF 15.....

That's how I wound up with three. Just be aware, the more you cut it up the lesser the grade.

3287DBF3-8EBD-4940-91DA-BA4A0F57A59B-6119-000003F6ACDB27B5.jpg

That's how I wound up with three. Just be aware, the more you cut it up the lesser the grade.

WHOA! That was mean.

I dont bother with reserve auctions unless the seller happens to have the only copy of whatever I'm looking for to have come up for sale in at least several months. Even then I'd rather not. Set the opening bid as your reserve and quit cluttering up the real auctions with your 99 cent opening bid that nobody is going to actually get.

RIGHT???

never saw a reserve auction that succeeded-not to say it never happens but whenever i come across one i put it on watch list and it's always a wallflower....

I agree that most of the time reserves suppress bidding. However, if the reserve is reasonable, once the reserve is met the the auction will behave from that moment on like a normal auction. There is one reason to use a reserve on eBay no one else has brought up.

eBay lets you add a buy it now price to an auction. But if you don't have a reserve, then the first bid eliminates the BIN option. So if you'd like your BIN offer to linger a while, then you have to use (and pay for) a reserve price.

This is really just eBay foolishness. There's no good reason you shouldn't be able to have a no reserve auction and set a price that has to be reached before the BIN offer goes away.

RIGHT???

I agree that most of the time reserves suppress bidding. However, if the reserve is reasonable, once the reserve is met the the auction will behave from that moment on like a normal auction. There is one reason to use a reserve on eBay no one else has brought up.

eBay lets you add a buy it now price to an auction. But if you don't have a reserve, then the first bid eliminates the BIN option. So if you'd like your BIN offer to linger a while, then you have to use (and pay for) a reserve price.

This is really just eBay foolishness. There's no good reason you shouldn't be able to have a no reserve auction and set a price that has to be reached before the BIN offer goes away.

That's a good point-and the best argument for reserve auction to date. The sad part is most sellers who like the reserve option have some wildly unrealistic idea of the value of their item. Like the sellers who have listed original art pages for years at 3 times the price you could get similar pages at Splashpage....banking on ignorance to sell a high ticket item is foolishness-most people who collect such things are incredibly knowledgeable about what an item is worth...

Buzz, you have officially replaced Beyonder as the man I envy the most on these boards

Buzz, you have officially replaced Beyonder as the man I envy the most on these boards

he's top dog and a gentleman to boot.

PS about that OMAC #2 cover-console yourself that the art was only about half the cover area-that might make it easier to swallow.

Ha! If I only I had the number of copies that Cal has of IM/SM 1

I am extremely impressed by the "Scientific" explanation why no reserve work..... ;) Heads up to the starter of the tread! FU

Hard to say how most of the topics even get a single reply in the "General" page. One more hopeless than the next. Now and than there is something important but it drowns in Captain Bull6hit posts, meaning that people who don't want 16.000 posts or eating popcorn will get little or nothing out of even checking it out.

Starting a topic or replying non-sense doesn't make your books look better. In best case you get cred from people who are normally the 5th or 6th under-bidder in every possible auction; using 10-15 postings to reply how "expansive" everything is :)

Another tinynascarfan thread. shifter.gif

Has he denied it yet?

At first I thought this to be a joke....like you have been band. But it seems to be a sticking point with people. By posting this link are you saying Kav is really someone that got banned? I would think that since it has been posted more than a few times someone has proof to this. Kav is this true? (shrug)

I don't believe everything I read so I will just ask...Kav do you know this person or was this you?

Another tinynascarfan thread. shifter.gif

Has he denied it yet?

At first I thought this to be a joke....like you have been band. But it seems to be a sticking point with people. By posting this link are you saying Kav is really someone that got banned? I would think that since it has been posted more than a few times someone has proof to this. Kav is this true? (shrug)

I don't believe everything I read so I will just ask...Kav do you know this person or was this you?

Every forum I ever go to people immediately start accusing me of being someone from the past. No it is not true-if I was banned that would be the end of it for me-I would feel no need to come back in some secret identity. I've been accused of being Cal, Tiny, SACRO, and a few others-I lose track. I think it boils down to some people just cant believe some new guy just shows up and when he's treated like 'the new guy', doesn't just crumple into the fetal position...they think a new guy wouldn't be so un-cowed by a crowd so it's gotta be some guy who already knows the ropes....I always take it as a compliment.