• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scientific explanations of why reserve auctions don't work

243 posts in this topic

I hate to break the news to the scientists...

If I want it. I am going to get it.

You're not the typical consumer though. And you'll probably get it cheaper from a reserve auction since others avoid them-unless it's some ridiculously outlandish price....

Of course once the reserve is met and everyone can see the accepted bid then you'll be competing for real....best idea is to determine your max price then try to snipe....

You're not the typical consumer though. And you'll probably get it cheaper from a reserve auction since others avoid them-unless it's some ridiculously outlandish price...which actually it usually is....hmmm....would you overpay if you really wanted something? Like $20,000 for a $5000 kirby page?

I overpaid by $3500 because I wanted a 6.0 AF15 without chipped pages and a vibrant cover. (That and I forgot that I pay tax when buying through Heritage.)

I just overpaid by about $500 (maybe a little more) because the ST110 6.0 that I saw looked better than all the other ST110 6.0's that I was being offered by people and actually looked like a 7.0-7.5 (Maybe 7.5 with a press... maybe) candidate.

Original Art is hard NOT to justify overpayment for since each piece is individual. There are certain purchases that are personal to each person. If someone identifies with the image or the page and has the means, then nothing will stop them from getting it as they have a personal attachment to it and if they do not get it, they may never get the chance again.

In retrospect, I should have bid a LOT more than I did for the Romita JR page I wanted in last month's CLink auction. I lost it around 7-8 years ago and was very interested when it resurfaced. I doubt it will ever come up again and I am aware of it.

You're not the typical consumer though. And you'll probably get it cheaper from a reserve auction since others avoid them-unless it's some ridiculously outlandish price...which actually it usually is....hmmm....would you overpay if you really wanted something? Like $20,000 for a $5000 kirby page?

I overpaid by $3500 because I wanted a 6.0 AF15 without chipped pages and a vibrant cover. (That and I forgot that I pay tax when buying through Heritage.)

I just overpaid by about $500 (maybe a little more) because the ST110 6.0 that I saw looked better than all the other ST110 6.0's that I was being offered by people and actually looked like a 7.0-7.5 (Maybe 7.5 with a press... maybe) candidate.

Original Art is hard NOT to justify overpayment for since each piece is individual. There are certain purchases that are personal to each person. If someone identifies with the image or the page and has the means, then nothing will stop them from getting it as they have a personal attachment to it and if they do not get it, they may never get the chance again.

In retrospect, I should have bid a LOT more than I did for the Romita JR page I wanted in last month's CLink auction. I lost it around 7-8 years ago and was very interested when it resurfaced. I doubt it will ever come up again and I am aware of it.

I know the feeling. There's a Swanderson page that still haunts me.

Kav what looking to get for Christmas.....1000 post? I give you credit for starting all these threads. Some are pretty good. Enjoy your new found love.

What can I say? I don't have a life....and people seem to gravitate to my posts....it gives them pleasure to mock me or chuckle and i don't mind....it's a win-win.

Merry Christmas :foryou:

Kav what looking to get for Christmas.....1000 post? I give you credit for starting all these threads. Some are pretty good. Enjoy your new found love.

What can I say? I don't have a life....and people seem to gravitate to my posts....it gives them pleasure to mock me or chuckle and i don't mind....it's a win-win.

Merry Christmas :foryou:

Chipmunks roasting by an open fire.....