• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 100?

11 posts in this topic

Why is the OS value of Batman 100 so out of proportion to the other books around it? 99 in Fine is $198, 101 in Fine is $153, 100 in Fine is $756. Is the book that scarce? Is Wolverine shown as an infant for the first time in the background of a panel? What's the justification?

Actually, Batman #100 is very similar to Superman #100. Both of these books are priced substantailly higher than their surrounding issues. This clearly is the result of the anniversery hype along with the quadruple cover recreations on the front cover of both books. This makes for a very attrative cover and has resulted in significantly higher demand for these two issues.

You should also note that both Action #100 and 'Tec #100 are also priced higher than their surrounding issues. Since they don't have a special anniversery cover, however, they are going for approx. half of what the Bat and Superman issues are going for, even though they are a lot older.

Actually, Batman #100 is very similar to Superman #100. Both of these books are priced substantailly higher than their surrounding issues. This clearly is the result of the anniversery hype along with the quadruple cover recreations on the front cover of both books. This makes for a very attrative cover and has resulted in significantly higher demand for these two issues.

I have also always felt that it's at least partially because they make a good starting point for collectors who can't or don't want to spend the money to put together a set of 1-99 of those runs. Obviously it's a lot easier to have a goal of putting together a set of Batman 100 up than it is to put together a set of Batman 1 up. I also think it is not uncommon for collectors who primarily think of themselves as Silver Age collectors to start their runs at #100 of those two titles.

I do think that BATMAN #100 is harder to find than most issues surrounding it(101 is tough too), but it may be because of demand, not inherent rarity. It does pop up on eBay from time to time, but usually in beater copies. I remember the book in GVG being priced around the OS NM price around 1980; it grew big time from there. I've never owned one, and the prices on low grade copies(let alone nicer ones) have me less interested these days. I'd rather spend the money on an underpriced GA book.

I do think that BATMAN #100 is harder to find than most issues surrounding it(101 is tough too), but it may be because of demand, not inherent rarity. It does pop up on eBay from time to time, but usually in beater copies. I remember the book in GVG being priced around the OS NM price around 1980; it grew big time from there. I've never owned one, and the prices on low grade copies(let alone nicer ones) have me less interested these days. I'd rather spend the money on an underpriced GA book.

I understand your sentiment, and my gut sez that 100 is a bit overpriced, but skipping it will make completing my Batman run very hard.

I really don't collect Batman, but I did pick up the 100 on ebay a few years ago. That is my earliest batman.

Of course as a big superman fan I do have that 100 as well, but i must have over 20 issues lower than that one

628373-sm100.jpg.fd423254d9952d61d584f969ef7b0578.jpg

I like the run of BATMAN's from #90 to #110. The #100 was always a big demand issue, but I always liked the Bat-Hound issues better. One of my favorites that I had graded #103 came back 9.0 . Not bad I'd have to say. Actually looks better then that I think. For some strange reason that run of mine is in great condition. I can't figure why though?