• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

This still looks kinda "Meh…"

The Thomas the Tank Engine bit was funny though.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sold on it. It has some moments but it doesn't draw me in like some of the other MCU trailers did.

I think my biggest gripe is that I don't feel like Ant-Man is a strong enough character to warrant his own movie.

Kinda like how there are no solo movies for Hawkeye, Jean Grey, or the Invisible Woman. These are secondary characters compared to the major players who have already had movies. These secondary characters only really work if they are in a movie with a stronger lead or an ensemble.

Look to the actual comics for guidance…there hasn't been a solo Ant-Man title until recently. I know Hawkeye has had a solo title in the past and his current solo title is getting great reviews, but did anyone think a Hawkeye solo title would be successful?

I think my biggest gripe is that I don't feel like Ant-Man is a strong enough character to warrant his own movie.

Kinda like how there are no solo movies for Hawkeye, Jean Grey, or the Invisible Woman. These are secondary characters compared to the major players who have already had movies. These secondary characters only really work if they are in a movie with a stronger lead or an ensemble.

Look to the actual comics for guidance…there hasn't been a solo Ant-Man title until recently. I know Hawkeye has had a solo title in the past and his current solo title is getting great reviews, but did anyone think a Hawkeye solo title would be successful?

Feige's original plan had a different cast of characters in his long term plan.

Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

Ant-Man wasn't one of them. With Cable tied up with Fox, and Guardians proving that Marvel could make it's B and C listers a success story, someone must have pushed for Ant-Man to fill the void.

Yeah, I'm not entirely sold on it. It has some moments but it doesn't draw me in like some of the other MCU trailers did.

Their goal is to have movies in every possible genre, fully decoupling from the "superhero" thing. Avengers is their suprehero movie, Captain America 2 was Spy Thriller, Guardians a "space opera" (star wars), Daredevil is a crime thriller, Peggy Carter was a period piece, etc etc, Ant-man is going to be a Heist movie.

I think they recognize that not all movies will be as loved by all people, but they want as many nets in the water as possible, funneling everyone they can into the MCU, and once they are hooked, hopefully watching everything because of the interconnections.

Also, Ant-man was greenlit when the main avengers (and downey) contracts were still up in the air. In addition to having a big shared universe, I think they want to get a large stable of avengers, so pieces can be swapped in an out as needed.

Getting the Pym history, and Ant-man and Wasp created, while adding more characters to Civil War, means Ant-man can still be relevant to the bigger picture while being a smaller scale Heist movie set in its own corner.

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up seeing a young actor cast as Hank Pym in future seasons of Peggy Carter, having him work with Starks Dad, found shield, etc.

Their goal is to have movies in every possible genre, fully decoupling from the "superhero" thing. Avengers is their suprehero movie, Captain America 2 was Spy Thriller, Guardians a "space opera" (star wars), Daredevil is a crime thriller, Peggy Carter was a period piece, etc etc, Ant-man is going to be a Heist movie.

I think they recognize that not all movies will be as loved by all people, but they want as many nets in the water as possible, funneling everyone they can into the MCU, and once they are hooked, hopefully watching everything because of the interconnections.

Also, Ant-man was greenlit when the main avengers (and downey) contracts were still up in the air. In addition to having a big shared universe, I think they want to get a large stable of avengers, so pieces can be swapped in an out as needed.

Getting the Pym history, and Ant-man and Wasp created, while adding more characters to Civil War, means Ant-man can still be relevant to the bigger picture while being a smaller scale Heist movie set in its own corner.

I wouldnt be surprised if we end up seeing a young actor cast as Hank Pym in future seasons of Peggy Carter, having him work with Starks Dad, found shield, etc.

That's how I understand it as well.

I think they are combining Ant-Man into several practical applications, including as a way to tie in movie universe into Civil War / Stark Industries, etc.

In the end I get that there's a master plan now behind everything Marvel, I just don't really find Ant Man that appealing...but I've been wrong before. I might be a good watch. I'll definitely be seeing it.

That's how I understand it as well.

I think they are combining Ant-Man into several practical applications, including as a way to tie in movie universe into Civil War / Stark Industries, etc.

In the end I get that there's a master plan now behind everything Marvel, I just don't really find Ant Man that appealing...but I've been wrong before. I might be a good watch. I'll definitely be seeing it.

.... HG copies of TTA 35 are kind of cool...... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is a laudable and excellent Big Picture perspective.... and likely right on the money. Disney also has a lot of experience in all these sub-genres..... especially the "Honey I Shrunk My Lab Assistant" area..... and they know how enduring and popular that concept can be. We comic fans are maybe 1 in 100, if they alienate us but pull in 20 of the others, they've won their game. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

I wonder why Nighthawk and not Moon Knight?

I wonder why Nighthawk and not Moon Knight?

Nighthawk may have been the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' experiment at that time before they went with the team movie to see how lower-rung characters would do at the box office.

SPOILERS

There will reportedly be two major fights between Ant-Man and main villain Yellowjacket. The first will take place in a briefcase as it falls out of a helicopter, while the second (and final) brawl between the two will be the fight around the Thomas the Tank Engine set we saw in the second trailer. Apparently, we'll see the two accidentally enlarge objects whilst fighting, including an ant and Thomas himself, who apparently crashes out of the room and onto a car outside. Also, Evangeline Lily's Hope Van Dyne will apparently become the Wasp, but it won't happen in this film.