• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Bobby Cannavale Will Be Playing A New Character In Ant-Man

Cannavle's Ant-Man character is named Paxton, but we don't know much more than that. There's a good reason for that, as he isn't from Marvel Comics. "Yeah. He’s a new character," Cannavale told Collider. "I mean the whole story is pretty new because the origin story of Dr. Hank Pym who’s the original Ant-Man, that’s Michael Douglas’s character, and so Paul’s (Rudd) character is sort of a protégé. The whole story is really new so he’s a new character."

Cannavel seemed to be in heaven shooting Ant-Man as he was impressed with the talent of the cast, the humor of the -script and getting to work with blue/green screens quite a bit for the special effects. "That was a really cool experience, because as big as that movie is and really as big a production as that was, the actual work in the scenes were really fun," Cannavle explained. "It felt like we were on an indie film. Rudd is one of my oldest friends. Most of our scenes are together, like me and Paul and Judy Greer. And so, both those actors are really good improvisers. Adam McKay and Paul did a big rewrite on that -script. So the scenes themselves felt like an indie film. It really felt like a comedy that we were doing. And then, of course, you have those big scenes. I spent so much time in front of a blue screen and that was just a trip for me. I’m not used to that kind of thing. But it was really a good combination of bringing a real off-the-cuff sensibility to a big, huge action movie. That was really fun and I think that probably happened because Guardians of the Galaxy was such a success. So it didn’t feel like I was working in a really serious superhero movie. It didn’t feel like Thor or something like that."

Bobby Cannavale on Bobby Collins, Meeting Pacino and De Niro, and Joining Ant-Man

Is it true that you and Paul Rudd, who's playing Ant-Man, are actually friends?

Yeah, we're friends. He's the one who called me and said, "They're going to call you, dude. You should do it. We'd have a lot of scenes together."

How does it feel to be part of a big Marvel movie?

You know, look, I'm not playing the guy in the suit. So I don't have that kind of pressure. But if you know Paul, you know he's a pretty down-to-earth guy. I have to say, the whole thing, for as big as it was, felt like an indie film. With the exception of all the blue screen and the ridiculous suit that he's in. And the fact that I've got to look at something that's not there and react to something like an explosion when there's no explosion. Aside from that, the actual scenes themselves were really fun and funny and we improvised a lot. It almost felt like an Adam McKay film. Since Guardians of the Galaxy, I think Marvel's sort of taken a different approach to their films and have injected them with a lot of levity. It's a great choice to have Paul play that role, sort of in the same vein as having Chris Pratt do Guardians. It still has the totemic idea of the hero, but the sense of humor is what's different in comparison to something like Thor.

Many, many details. But no spoilers.

More From Bobby Cannavale On 'Baffling' ANT-MAN Shoot, Co-Stars, And Insect Action Scenes

"The actual work — the scenes with me and Paul Rudd, and Judy Greer and Michael Pena — felt like an indie film," Cannavale said. "It felt like fun. Peyton Reed [and the studio], they weren’t mercurial about the -script. They weren’t mercurial about the humor, at all. They let us be in charge of that. We improvised a lot. Judy Greer’s very funny. Paul’s very funny — he’s a great improviser. The rewrite of the -script that Paul did with McKay — and I’ve worked with McKay before — lent itself to that." He added, "You could see that there’s a funny scene and we could actually riff off of that, and that felt impressive to me in this big huge blockbuster film. It made me feel kind of good, that it felt like Marvel was going for something different. It didn’t feel like Thor. It felt more like Guardians of the Galaxy, which I really enjoyed and I thought brought a certain levity to a superhero movie that I had never seen before."

Sounds Like ANT-MAN Reshoots Are Taking 'Scott Lang' Back To His Criminal Roots

The change in description from "con-man" to "master thief" in the updated synopsis really bothered some fans, so this should come as welcome news. The site theorises that the success of Guardians of the Galaxy might have had something to do with Marvel now feeling comfortable reintroducing these roguish aspects of Scott's personality. Latino-Review's @umbertogonzalez meanwhile adds that, "[One] of the things I heard is that they're making Scott a criminal again with these reshoots - putting back the plot point they originally demanded be cut from Edgar Wright's draft."

Marvel's Not-So Secret Solicitations For June 2015 - And Ant-Man: Larger Than Life!

And Ant Man is getting replaced with the new series Ant-Man: Larger Than Life by Will Corona Pilgrim and Andrea DiVito, which reprints his first stories and tells a new story with him facing Bullet Ant… nicely in time for the movie.

ANTMANLTL2015001-4c410-600x894.jpg

Kevin Feige Explains Importance Of ANT-MAN In The Marvel Cinematic Universe

"It is not [an after-thought]," Feige said of Ant-Man. "The truth is the phases mean a lot to me and some people but…Civil War is the start of Phase Three. It just is. And Ant-Man is a different kind of culmination of Phase Two because it very much is in the Marvel Cinematic Universe."

Kevin Feige continued, "You meet new characters and you learn about Hank Pym and his lineage with the MCU over the years. But at the same time, it also picks up the thread of Age of Ultron in terms of heroes – major heroes, Avengers – coming from unexpected places. Whether it’s prison in the case of Scott Lang or being a very disgruntled Sokovian Twins as Wanda and Pietro are in Age of Ultron. And in that way it connects a lot. Also, Hank Pym’s attitude towards Avengers, towards S.H.I.E.L.D, and kind of the cinematic universe in general, is much more informed after Age of Ultron events, and in a certain way, before the events of Civil War."

New Trailer For ANT-MAN Set To Premiere On Monday!

During the star-studded press conference for Avengers: Age of Ultron earlier today, Marvel Studios President of Production Kevin Feige had announced that Ant-Man trailer #2 will be released online on Monday, April 13. The producer then treated the many journalists in attendance with an early look at the full teaser, and then they shared their first impressions as well as some details on Twitter.

i0tfNSc.png

wkfu45I.png

sP80skF.png