• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec 31......don't do it......

17 posts in this topic

It was bought (well not really) by nearmint here

Det 31 scam. Blue label with trimmed centerfold.

for 19K. I guess Tec 31 has fallen on hard times if all the seller could get this time was 10K.

I do remember reading this copy before it went to CGC. :cloud9:

If I did see an auction like this I would jump on it just case it was legit then get lots of verifiable info before sending $.

det31_zps19a1eec6.jpg

The listing is a scam. The current owner is in Southern California and has no plans to sell.

The scam originates in the Ukraine. They rope in Americans to set up a Paypal account, accept payment for the auction, then wire the funds to the Ukraine.

I fell for it in a weak moment a few months ago. Paid $9500 for it, and eventually received a full refund from Paypal.

The listing is a scam. The current owner is in Southern California and has no plans to sell.

The scam originates in the Ukraine. They rope in Americans to set up a Paypal account, accept payment for the auction, then wire the funds to the Ukraine.

I fell for it in a weak moment a few months ago. Paid $9500 for it, and eventually received a full refund from Paypal.

How long does Paypal normally take to issue refunds for something like this?

-J.

-J.

Once you file a claim, the seller has 21 days to come up with a tracking number. If that doesn't happen, the refund is issued.

It was bought (well not really) by nearmint here

Det 31 scam. Blue label with trimmed centerfold.

for 19K. I guess Tec 31 has fallen on hard times if all the seller could get this time was 10K.

I do remember reading this copy before it went to CGC. :cloud9:

If I did see an auction like this I would jump on it just case it was legit then get lots of verifiable info before sending $.

det31_zps19a1eec6.jpg

that was a nice copy Leroy.

-J.

Once you file a claim, the seller has 21 days to come up with a tracking number. If that doesn't happen, the refund is issued.

What if the seller sends an empty box with tracking number and insurance? Will Paypal still issue a refund?

Ken

-J.

What if the seller sends an empty box with tracking number and insurance? Will Paypal still issue a refund?

Ken

When it happened to me, Paypal assured me that I was protected even under that scenario, but I suspect that would have further delayed the refund. In my case, and in the case of the listing linked above, there's no reason to send the empty box, as the Ukranians already have the money, and the American foil(in my case, a teenager) is left with a $9500 chargeback to their Paypal account that they almost certainly can't pay.

I would imagine in a worst case scenario that you could call the credit card company that your PayPal is linked to and do a charge back directly with them. Or is that the same thing?

-J.

You're right. It depends on what kind of credit card you have. Years ago, someone charged thousands of dollars of furniture on my Visa. The credit card company called me, I told them it wasn't me, and they immediately credited my account. In the case of the Tec 31, I used a Visa linked to my credit union. When I called them, they told me that it would take at least 30 days to get my refund. At that point, I decided to file the claim with Paypal, as the refund would likely come in 21 days through them. But, I always new that if something went south, I could go back to the credit union and file a claim there.

-J.

Ken

When it happened to me, Paypal assured me that I was protected even under that scenario, but I suspect that would have further delayed the refund. In my case, and in the case of the listing linked above, there's no reason to send the empty box, as the Ukranians already have the money, and the American foil(in my case, a teenager) is left with a $9500 chargeback to their Paypal account that they almost certainly can't pay.

I'm not sure how this was able to work since Paypal would normally place a hold on the funds unitl item is received.

jeff, how did your scam play out...Im not sure I follow it? Ukraines and US teenagers?

This is what Paypal told me. A group in the Ukraine are recruiting Americans to accept payments for Ebay auctions. They then wire the money to the Ukraine. They may not even be aware that the item never ships.

-J.

Ken

I'm not sure how this was able to work since Paypal would normally place a hold on the funds unitl item is received.

Not sure what you mean by that. If someone pays me for an item via Paypal, I can transfer those funds to my bank account in about 48 hours, regardless of whether I've shipped the item yet or not.

-J.

Ken

Not sure what you mean by that. If someone pays me for an item via Paypal, I can transfer those funds to my bank account in about 48 hours, regardless of whether I've shipped the item yet or not.

If you're a new or casual seller on Ebay they will hold your funds until buyer receives item. I know because its happen to me.