• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

Probably a few days. They will have it hard to get good creators because of the other two shows. Their media guest list will blow up your mind.

So, in other words, the new promoters will have a guest list that looks pretty similar to the lists consistently produced by the old promoters.

All of us "Lone Star" collectors should band together and go with the divide and conquer approach to the May show, assuming it'll be much bigger with the new venue and owner. I'm looking forward to getting some breathing room away from the Irving Con center.

Official statement regarding FAN EXPO and table prices:

" Firstly, Ben isn't going anywhere, he's still show director. Second, moving the Dallas Comic Con to the Dallas Convention Center is a BIG deal - more guests, more space, a lot more attendees... it costs a LOT of money to make a move like that happen, so booth rates will inevitably go up. Have you priced Wizard's Austin event for exhibit space? DCC's new rates are still less than HALF what Wizard is charging for a show nowhere near as big. The important thing is the admission prices for fans are going to be kept low. Dealers will pay more, but they'll also have exposure to two to three times the number of people. Think of it in terms of advertising costs. If a company paid $1000 to run a commercial to 100,000 people, and the station found a way to show that commercial to double or triple that number, wouldn't it naturally make sense that the cost of the ad space would go up? You're talking about a convention that (at the moment) caps out at about 20,000 attendees, and is moving to a facility that can hold three times that or more... a facility that is considerably more expensive too. Try looking at it from both sides."

-Mark Walters

Official statement regarding FAN EXPO and table prices:

" Firstly, Ben isn't going anywhere, he's still show director. Second, moving the Dallas Comic Con to the Dallas Convention Center is a BIG deal - more guests, more space, a lot more attendees... it costs a LOT of money to make a move like that happen, so booth rates will inevitably go up. Have you priced Wizard's Austin event for exhibit space? DCC's new rates are still less than HALF what Wizard is charging for a show nowhere near as big. The important thing is the admission prices for fans are going to be kept low. Dealers will pay more, but they'll also have exposure to two to three times the number of people. Think of it in terms of advertising costs. If a company paid $1000 to run a commercial to 100,000 people, and the station found a way to show that commercial to double or triple that number, wouldn't it naturally make sense that the cost of the ad space would go up? You're talking about a convention that (at the moment) caps out at about 20,000 attendees, and is moving to a facility that can hold three times that or more... a facility that is considerably more expensive too. Try looking at it from both sides."

-Mark Walters

But if those extra fans don't shop in the exhibitor area, and just spend money on autographs, his point is moot. If we cant find a way to bring in comic collectors that want to spend money with comic dealers, the dealers just bear the cost of a bigger show. To go along with the analogy, if you show the "commercial" to three times the people, but 2/3 of them don't speak the language, you're still in the same situation. Having a bigger show, and bringing in bigger celebs, doesn't mean that those people will be at all interested in comics. I spoke to a fan expo rep for about 10 minutes on Sunday, and he assured me that they would be bringing some top comic creators to the show. Stan is a great start, but I think he will probably be a one day attendee. Romita Jr, is a good bet as well, but he's done the last two May shows. Having the show the same day as Big Wow, and Motor City drastically reduces the number of creators available, and then we are doing the local Texas talent again. Courting CGC to the show also would be great, but they are probably already committed to one of the other shows. DWC gives people an opportunity to sub books, but in my experience, it's not as easy or cost effective as going straight to CGC. I'm really looking forward to the show, and I'm anxiously awaiting the guest list, but I hope what the fan expo rep said rings true, and we start to have the show that a lot of the dealers and attendees have wanted for a long time. I'm sure if that happens, the money will be there, and the dealers will have no problem "affording" the more expensive booth.

Another statement by Ben Stevens:

"Ben here. I'm still around. Not going anywhere. Still a partner. Only now DCC has the resources and expertise of the 3rd largest pop-culture event produces in North America! Only behind San Diego and NYCC.

We hope to put Texas on the map as an actual national event in 2 years. We have so many other big things to announce for May it's crazy. On booth prices, we offered a price similar to our old vender spaces last November, space is larger now (10x10 vs the old 8x10). Prices did go up per booth, but price per square foot is still very similar. More soon guys. -Ben"

I would think that if DCC/Fan Expo can deliver a Wizard-sized show that is more geared towards comics and creators, and keep tickets and booth sizes/prices where they are now then that will be a big positive for Dallas.

But if any of those factors change dramatically (ticket and booth prices go up to Wizard levels, or the talent doesn't increase as promised, or *shudder* both) then that would be unfortunate. I'm curious why it will take 2 years to become "an actual national event" with those resources coming to bear. If that is because they have to wait to get a weekend, and thus talent, to themselves that is fine. I just hope that booth/ticket prices don't jump in that time too.

Anyways,

I really am hoping for more for right now but I also see them blowing money on a big name Celeb who may or may not show up, and if he does it will be for a single day. Personally he's been to Texas a few times so drop him and look else where for either different or more unique actors. Haven't seen any of the SHIELD actors around and would actually stand in line for a Celeb if they did show. Maybe go with more Arrow characters, or heck go for Chris Hemsworth who is actually going to a Wizard World show as he's a big thing right now.

On the creator side because of the late start and a date that conflicts with two other shows many of the big name creators are already booked. I mean have you seen Big Wow's line-up. They took everyone that goes to Wizard World Austin and then added a ton more. Not to mention Motor City went ahead and pulled a few great pick-ups on there behalf. I'm honestly at a loss right now for who Dallas can go for on the blow my socks off side or even on the I would be willing to send off for DWC to help me side. I have one book, Amazing Spider-Man #90 I am looking at getting signed by Stan Lee but aside from that one nothing else I want to send and after the way it simply feels as if I am shuttled through like cattle for him I would rather have DWC do it and save my feet some time and pain... I mean aside from saying thank you to the guy his facilitators don't give you a chance to do much else.

Right now I'm more incline with saying push the date back a week, or realize your going to take a hit.

Anyways,

I have one book, Amazing Spider-Man #90 I am looking at getting signed by Stan Lee but aside from that one nothing else I want to send and after the way it simply feels as if I am shuttled through like cattle for him I would rather have DWC do it and save my feet some time and pain... I mean aside from saying thank you to the guy his facilitators don't give you a chance to do much else.

Right now I'm more incline with saying push the date back a week, or realize your going to take a hit.

I would do the Stan auto myself if for no other reason than they have always let me give Stan my own pen to use. I've gotten really nice Stan autos when I've gotten them myself, whereas half the time I have gotten them through third parties they look like Stan had been using the same pen for a week. Just something to think about.

I doubt they can push the dates at this point, it is a big undertaking to book the venue, not to mention all the other talent they've already locked in. I think they just do the best they can this year, and then next year do what they can to get a date to themselves (hence Ben's statement about being national level in 2 years).

I would do the Stan auto myself if for no other reason than they have always let me give Stan my own pen to use. I've gotten really nice Stan autos when I've gotten them myself, whereas half the time I have gotten them through third parties they look like Stan had been using the same pen for a week. Just something to think about.

I doubt they can push the dates at this point, it is a big undertaking to book the venue, not to mention all the other talent they've already locked in. I think they just do the best they can this year, and then next year do what they can to get a date to themselves (hence Ben's statement about being national level in 2 years).

Yeah but that's what bothers me there is that statement. I'm hoping he's not simply looking at throwing away this year and sticking solely with TX talent. Nothing against it I would really like to see it blow up into a huge event but just afraid if it doesn't go well others will feel burned by it.

Personally if I am him I'm looking at a lot of the legends talent or whoever put together SuperCon in Florida for those names. I'm not a big fan of his art but Romita Jr. would have a good following spun the right way for the upcoming Spider-man movie as well as his father. Maybe look towards the Simonson's and see if they would be available. Look towards reaching out to the Hero Initiative and see if Denny O'Neil would come by with them. Heck look over seas at Whilce Portacio and even Leinil Yu.

There is still a lot of talent out there and hopefully they will capitalize on some of that, but until they get a decent bill going I'll save my money for later in the summer and probably in the fall. Here's to desperately hoping I'm wrong and they pick-up every name I mentioned...

Press Release on the old DCC page, which answers my question about the February and October shows:

Dallas Comic Con, Sci-Fi Expo & Fan Days Just Got Even Better

The trio of Dallas fan favorite pop-culture conventions: Dallas Comic Con, Sci-Fi Expo, and Fan Days have joined forces with FAN EXPO HQ. The Fan Expo family will now include seven conventions to host almost 250,000 fans annually.

For over 15 years these well-respected Dallas conventions have united sci-fi to comic fans of all-ages. With the founder Ben Stevens remaining as Director, this partnership will help these shows realize their true potential with new access to extensive resources and expertise.

An essential part of that growth is Dallas Comic Con moving to the Dallas Convention Center for May 16-18, 2014. Now with 4x the space on one floor! 600,000+ square feet of comic and pop-culture family fun. Plus! May will include guests Stan Lee, William Shatner, Nathan Fillion, and Robert Englund.

We look forward to bringing you even more fandom with world-caliber awesome artists and guests, cool programming and events!

12 weeks away! :banana:

Someone has to take some photos and do a report this time. That is usually my job, but considering that I won't be there someone needs to step up. I've noticed that nobody managed to take a single photo at the February show, at least that made it on these boards. :taptaptap:

Comic Guests announced:

-Stan Lee

-Mark Bagley

-Amanda Conner

-Jimmy Palmiotti

-Stephen Platt

-Tony Harris

-Greg Land

-Len Wein

-Yanick Paquette

-Todd Nauck

-Arthur Suydam