• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comicon (Fan Expo Dallas) -- May 16-18, 2014

319 posts in this topic

I hope you're right, but Wizard has the ability to sign guests to long-term deals for their "tour" and that could impact who is available for Dallas. And even if 5% of the people who attend a St. Louis show would consider coming to Dallas instead that would significantly impact attendance and income for the show. I'm of the opinion that any large show that presents competition for Dallas is not a good thing. Any other larger show in other areas of the country will negatively impact the availability of guests, fans, and dealers, in that order (in my opinion) and any growing show can use all of those that they can get.

EDIT: I'm really starting to fear that the market is going to get oversaturated with shows. Wizard adding a February show in Wisconsin seems like the shark-jumping moment to me. I hope I'm wrong, and we're not at the moment the bubble starts to collapse on the larger shows, but I'm concerned.

Wizard does but they are getting to the point where they need to shake something up and stop with the same old song and dance routine. I enjoy Wizard when it's either close to where I live or when there isn't steady competition like this past week. Ask almost any artist and I can guarantee they will say this was a slow show. Had regulars not pumped money into there pockets it would have been even harder.

Friday was odd as I wasn't in any hurry to rush in but yet knew there wasn't a big crowd waiting behind us. Normally I am ready to run the 100 meter dash but walking up to EVS without a line, people walking by Kindt without associating what his past work was, or any of the others just seemed out of place. I traveled from Texas as a Facilitator with my CAW from Arizona and it didn't look like locals in the area were much to wanting in the door. I'm not downing the market but if they want bigger and better then St. Louis needs to step up.

Dallas and Texas though seem to always draw good crowds. Wizard World Austin last year was crowds packed day one and was a day I needed to do the sprint to get on a commission list. Fan Days always seems consistent and Fan Expo has the backing to be successful. To me they got a late start this year compared to EVERYONE but probably already rectifying that next year.

Dallas and Texas though seem to always draw good crowds. Wizard World Austin last year was crowds packed day one and was a day I needed to do the sprint to get on a commission list. Fan Days always seems consistent and Fan Expo has the backing to be successful. To me they got a late start this year compared to EVERYONE but probably already rectifying that next year.

I love the Texas shows I've been to. My favorite will always be the Chicago Comicon (which I only begrudgingly refer to by its new name), but of all the other shows I've been to I really enjoy coming to Texas shows. WW Austin has become one of my favorite shows of the year, even though it has been one of the more difficult to get to because of the distance I have to cover. I also really look forward to Fan Days, Sci-Fi Expo, and the DCC. I badly want these shows to prosper, and am hopeful that we'll see that happen. I had to miss February and will miss May this year, but I am so looking forward to finally getting back to one in October.

Talked to Mark now. Wizard are hurting everyone. They want to get exclusive celebs, Bruce Campbell is exclusive to Wizard next year, and they will proably try to get more. I know that Sean Clark was approached by Wizard because they want the exclusivity of Norman Reedus, but Sean told me he won't accept it.

Nightmare on Elm Street and Alice Cooper added.

SLASH will be added, they are just working on dates, but he showed up on the website. Announcement soon.

Looks like it's been confirmed on their FB; JSC and Lee are the big draws for me but the lineup is interesting. hm

10154077_651323134941456_6650966126746895372_n.jpg

1959261_651167101623726_8754903053319570396_n.jpg

I talked today with Mark and Vo Nguyen who is a regular artist at almost every Texas show (his art rocks).

Slash's announcement will come, and Vo told me he has some sources that say that this show still has way too more stuff to announce.

Exclusive Marvel variant will be available at this show.

I talked today with Mark and Vo Nguyen who is a regular artist at almost every Texas show (his art rocks).

Slash's announcement will come, and Vo told me he has some sources that say that this show still has way too more stuff to announce.

Exclusive Marvel variant will be available at this show.

Well JSC is attending hm

LeVar Burton, Brent Spiner, Marina Sirtis, Jonathan Frakes, Michael Dorn and John DeLancie added to the lineup.

Soooo.....this show just went to 11, sci-fi wise, good gravy.

Yep... I'm hoping everyone that's booked plays nice and shows up. Sounds like it's seriously going to be jam packed though. :headbang:

Not sure if anyone is interested here but photo op pricing is now available. Great prices, Nathan Fillion is $70 while at Wizard shows he is around $100.

http://www.fanexpodallas.com/photo-ops/

Yeah, they usually adjust pricing depending upon location.

Not sure why but Stan Lee's fee is much higher at any Wizard World show than it is for any other con that doesn't have the WIZARD WORLD brand. At least that's what I've seen on their website.