• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2014?

148 posts in this topic

I'm on the fence between, setting goals (which I think help keep you focused, with how expensive OA is that is important) and buying the best available piece you see at the best price. It depends on how well you 'know thyself' You may indeed spend more if you make a list and acquire pieces on it, however you may also spend more in the aggregate if you buy a bunch of pieces that you appreciate, but bought because the were cool and well priced rather than near and dear to your heart.

So each year I do make a list and try to acquire at least one piece off of it (last year I nabbed 2), so this year I have moved others up.

1. A Marvel Cover [Gil Kane, John Buscema, B. Sienkiewcz]

2. Byrne X-Men panel

3. Conan BWS Panel

4. Neal Adams Panel

5. A painted Cover [J. Jean, D. McKean, J. Jusko]

X. A Perez NTT piece. "X" meaning I could throw the rest of the goals out the window if the right :censored: Perez piece came up.

2013 has been another good year for me as for 2014 looking for

1. Batman Sprang page

2. Little Annie Fanny page by Will Elder

3. Don Martin Captain Klutz

4. Ditko Creeper

5. Romita Spider-Man newspaper strip

There is also a cover I have been actively trying to acquire from the owner. 2014 may be the year I get it

Only one month into the year and I can cross one off the list, Ditko Creeper page.

Beware The Creeper #4 page 19

Beware_the-Creeper_4_19.jpg

I've modified my list:

I'm not going to buy one page/commission/cover of art this year. 6 weeks in and I'm winning.

My selling goal is the 76 pieces of art in my comicartfans pages for sale. Sold 1, so 75 to go.

My goals for 2014:

1. A nice example with Everett pencils and inks or at least inks

2. A nice Wally Wood interior page

3. Frank Brunner with crusty inks Doc Strange

4. Frank Miller Wolverine mini

5. More David Finch if its reasonably priced

6. Only buy if its on the 1-5 list

this will be a lot easier said than done

I keep thinking I should go with a high/low strategy, but it keeps eluding me. By high low I mean concentrating on either high end pieces I will want to frame or low end pieces like preliminary art that I really enjoy and sort of "feeds the beast" that is the collector in me that just wants more stuff. The problem is the things in the middle-the shiny quarter syndrome that sucks up more money than the real value to my overall collection. I often think I am buying "opportunistically" but really I am just buying. Nonetheless, 2013 was a banner year for me though I posted nothing to CAF or here either. Eventually I will get around to that, but a year that included a Simon/Kirby golden age Sandman page from 1943, an outstanding Wally Wood Thunder agents page, a blue meanie cel from Yellow Submarine (a long time desire) a Gianni and Schultz Prince Valiant Sunday(middle panels by Schultz) a cover and a splash by indy artist Rich Tommasso, a Shadow pencil commission by Steranko and drawings by Keith, Dringenberg, Campbell, Delbo, Bolland and Plunkett is a year that will be hard to beat. Not that I won't try....

I keep thinking I should go with a high/low strategy, but it keeps eluding me. By high low I mean concentrating on either high end pieces I will want to frame or low end pieces like preliminary art that I really enjoy and sort of "feeds the beast" that is the collector in me that just wants more stuff. The problem is the things in the middle-the shiny quarter syndrome that sucks up more money than the real value to my overall collection. I often think I am buying "opportunistically" but really I am just buying. Nonetheless, 2013 was a banner year for me though I posted nothing to CAF or here either. Eventually I will get around to that, but a year that included a Simon/Kirby golden age Sandman page from 1943, an outstanding Wally Wood Thunder agents page, a blue meanie cel from Yellow Submarine (a long time desire) a Gianni and Schultz Prince Valiant Sunday(middle panels by Schultz) a cover and a splash by indy artist Rich Tommasso, a Shadow pencil commission by Steranko and drawings by Keith, Dringenberg, Campbell, Delbo, Bolland and Plunkett is a year that will be hard to beat. Not that I won't try....

That sounds like quite a year. I totally undertsand the conundrum you are describing.

I crossed off almost all of the must-haves on my list in 2013 with the year ending with a big box-checking buy. As such, there are really only a few items left on my want list...specifically, I'm only looking for A or A+ level panel pages from:

1) Neal Adams X-men

2) Byrne Man of Steel

3) Byrne Iron Fist

3) Miller DD

Mike D

What are your goals for the new year? :popcorn:

To figure out why I'm having such a hard time getting responses from a couple of artist representatives.

I don't have specific pieces in mind for the most part. My goal is to fill at least 3 of these

A 2013-2014 Bill Sienkiewcz painting.

A spider-man (1-16) page by by Todd Mcfarlane.

A page inked by Todd MCfarlane penciled by another artist.

Uncanny X-men and/or Wildcats art by Jim Lee/Scott Williams.

Pre-hellboy page or cover by Mike Mignola.

The right Frank Miller page.

John Byrne/Karl kesel Superman page/cover.

I'd love the right page from Y The Last Man #1. Going to be patient on this one.

Just came in! 2014 goal checked off. I'm done collecting for a long time.

Y: The Last Man Issue 1, Page 10

12471529114_0a7060bbda_b.jpg

Congrats...

*cough*andgoodluckwiththat*cough*

Christmas came early. I think I'm done collecting for a very long time.

11444319916_da062238af_b.jpg

Three more Richard Sala pages arrived today (in line with my collecting aims for 2014):

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=144780

Opening three--page sequence from 'Super-Enigmatix' (a new comic to be published in Fall 2014 by Fantagraphics Books).

Bought directly from the artist (a good guy to purchase from).

Painted artwork - check out the link if you feel so inclined . . .

Three more Richard Sala pages arrived today (in line with my collecting aims for 2014):

Opening three--page sequence from 'Super-Enigmatix' (a new comic to be published in Fall 2014 by Fantagraphics Books).

:golfclap:

Great stuff.

I need to jump on the Sala bandwagon.

great! checked yours out today....i was looking at some of the ealier ones on eder