• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are your collecting goals for 2014?

148 posts in this topic

Three more Richard Sala pages arrived today (in line with my collecting aims for 2014):

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=144780

Opening three--page sequence from 'Super-Enigmatix' (a new comic to be published in Fall 2014 by Fantagraphics Books).

Bought directly from the artist (a good guy to purchase from).

Painted artwork - check out the link if you feel so inclined . . .

:golfclap:

Great stuff.

I need to jump on the Sala bandwagon.

Thanks, I'd recommend buying directly from the artist. Super-nice guy.

Hopefully, this coming year will close on:

(in historical order)

1) Bat/Tec splash page by Don Newton [happily taking PMs on this one!]

2) receiving an iconic painted cover from late '80s, shipping in January

3) an early YTLM page w/ Ampersand

4) an interior page from Locke & Key

5) Star Wars cover from Hugh Fleming

6) splash page from The Wake

...along with a valiant attempt to finish out my high-grade Batman #201-300 set.

And #2 on my 2014 goals is now checked off, as I finally unpacked my painted cover! Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters #2. One of the formative comics of my very early days of collecting. Thanks Stephen for making it all work. The really cool thing is that I also have Mike Grell's prelim to this as well (thanks Malvin). Whew!

IMG_5182_zpsd6210dbf.jpg

IMG_2533_zps5a03b66d.jpg

Well, luckily I managed to check off my main 2014 collecting goal

even before bringing it up in this thread... :)

Getting a Kerry Gammill & Brett Breeding SUPERMAN cover was not just

a goal for 2014, but something I was hoping to achieve ever since I'd

started collecting...

Now that it's done, it's all downhill from now on, isn't it... ;)

And #2 on my 2014 goals is now checked off, as I finally unpacked my painted cover! Green Arrow: Longbow Hunters #2. One of the formative comics of my very early days of collecting. Thanks Stephen for making it all work. The really cool thing is that I also have Mike Grell's prelim to this as well (thanks Malvin). Whew!

Very cool - congrats! (worship)

IMG_5182_zpsd6210dbf.jpg

IMG_2533_zps5a03b66d.jpg

Tremendous! Highly memorable :cloud9:

I was probably a bit more coy than need be about my goals for 2014, but now I have actually acheived one of my long term goals over the past several years and that was to get a nice piece by Robert Crumb. I bid on several in the last Heritage Auction and was disappointed to not be able to take something down from the Introducing Kafka book as I am a big fan of Kafka's work as well as Robert Crumb so it seemed like a good combo. I had no idea that there would be another huge trove to follow and I likely benefitted a little from the fact that a few folks probably acheieved their desire to get a nice Crumb in that auction and it left me a little room to squeeze in and get something for myself. Honestly, I think that was one of only two real concrete goals for this year and now I am likely to mostly try and be opportunistic when something I like comes along at the right price. That has already happened once so who knows what the rest of the year will bring.

I was probably a bit more coy than need be about my goals for 2014, but now I have actually acheived one of my long term goals over the past several years and that was to get a nice piece by Robert Crumb. I bid on several in the last Heritage Auction and was disappointed to not be able to take something down from the Introducing Kafka book as I am a big fan of Kafka's work as well as Robert Crumb so it seemed like a good combo. I had no idea that there would be another huge trove to follow and I likely benefitted a little from the fact that a few folks probably acheieved their desire to get a nice Crumb in that auction and it left me a little room to squeeze in and get something for myself. Honestly, I think that was one of only two real concrete goals for this year and now I am likely to mostly try and be opportunistic when something I like comes along at the right price. That has already happened once so who knows what the rest of the year will bring.

That was one of mine too and I also now have a crumb....congratulations

There are also two specific covers I'm targeting as well.

Got one of the two covers - the UXM #176 at Heritage, which I knew was coming up for sale. I've reached out to the owner of the other cover with a fresh offer and am waiting to hear back... hm

I've ended up buying some smaller pieces this year (Sienkiewicz Moon Knight cover, a couple of X-Men #213 pages, etc.) and can see myself picking up some similar items as the year progresses - high nostalgia '80s material that won't break the bank seems to be where I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

There are also two specific covers I'm targeting as well.

Got one of the two covers - the UXM #176 at Heritage, which I knew was coming up for sale. I've reached out to the owner of the other cover with a fresh offer and am waiting to hear back... hm

Um, your offer never showed up in my inbox. Would you mind resending? :baiting:

Scott

i have one major OA goal this year and thats to get a page from Y the last man. One that definitely has Yorick in it and preferably ampersand. Doest have to be an A+++ page but should be better than your "average" page. :wishluck:

Met my goal :whee: Didn't think it'd happen so soon in the year too!

Y_The_Last_Man_59_p11_zps4a8f73e5.jpg

Probably sell-off a few more high-end pieces to fund some (non-OA) projects that will be of benefit to my family (it's more about lifestyle choice with me, nowadays).

I'll still be collecting artwork, but nothing ridiculously priced.

Looking towards adding some more Kev Walker Magic the Gathering paintings to my collection:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=140935

I'm not big on superheroes, leaning more towards Science-Fiction, Horror and Fantasy, so these are right up my street (and the work's relatively affordable).

Maybe some more Matanias:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=122737

. . . and some Richard Sala:

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=144780

Just in today . . . another Fortunino Matania illustration (very small original, measuring 4.5" x 6"):

MataniaRocket.jpg

There is a personal connection, for me, here. I live in Rainhill, UK, about a mile away from the train station where the locomotive trials took place.

Some background information on the Rainhill Trials and Stephenson's Rocket . . .

"Before the growth of the railways in Britain the average person was born, lived and died within a radius of 15 miles. Within 20 years of the Trials, however, a network of railways had grown and it was possible for a working man to afford to travel from the north to London.

The Rainhill Trials were the first of many such tests but they were by far the most significant and decided two important facts: the first was that the steam locomotive had sufficient possibilities to be used on railways and, secondly, the Trials showed the way in which locomotives should be developed.

Thousands of people from across the country descended on Rainhill, near St.Helens, to see the very best of British engineering design compete to be the winner and claim the prize money of £500 – many thousands of pounds in today’s money.

The impact of what they witnessed would be felt for many decades to come."

I just wrote up my collecting goals for the year last night on my blog - fedres420.blogspot.com It is really just last year's goals for the most part - I like what I like I guess - but there is more of an emphasis on strip art this year I think. Some things on my want list are singular items but some are classes of items, such as BWS art or Harris Starman covers. I guess there is no Frank Miller on this year's list as I got one last year, but many of the things are the same.

Terry, that's beautiful, but you probably know that!

Thanks, Alex, glad you like it.

Some photos of Rainhill station as it is today:

RainhillTrialsSign01.jpg

Northern_Rail_Class_156_156427_Rainhill_railway_station_geograph_3819326.jpg

I use the station of a weekend to travel into Liverpool (about eleven miles away).