• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

I'll recommend one more movie "not on the list"..."The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest" . I think it's fairly significant for several reasons:

*It bridges Batman:TAS and Superman:TAS with their first ever meeting.

*Joker in Metropolis/Lex Luthor

*a Harley Quinn/Mercy Graves throwdown.

*Dana Delany (Lois Lane) and Kevin Conroy (Bruce Wayne) doing a romantic number on (Tim Daly) Clark's ego.

*Clark's frame of reference on Bats probably comes form his Mother when he first started out in costume, "I don't want people to think you're like that nut in Gotham City." And with all the hoopla over the upcoming live-action crossover it's fun to see how it was handled in the Animated Universe.

Yup. I saw that one on my Superman Animated Series: Volume Two DVD set. It was broken up in three episodes. Great stuff. I'll add it to the list. :)

I also enjoyed Season 3's "Knight Time", where Superman teamed up with Robin (dressed as Batman) to find the missing Bruce Wayne. Funny parts where he has to act all pompous around Commissioner Gordon and his very brief fight against Bane.

Your mention of Knight Time reminds me of why I'm such a fan of Superman:TAS. The Tim Daly interpretation of Superman is pitch-perfect imho. In my mind it runs from Superman:TAS s1e1 up to your #1 pick, Superman/Batman: Apocalypse. I think that was his last performance.

There's a calm, kinder confidence there that's missing in the more recent "new 52" animated incarnation. He comes across as a bit of an aloof snarky jerk with an 'I'm all that, and then some' attitude.

I agree with you Tim Daly was the best voice talent of Superman when animated. He did do the voice again for Justice League: Doom (Conroy returned for Batman too) and really stood out when he was trying to talk a jumper down without using his powers.

Other than The Flashpoint Paradox, the new 52 team movies have left little impact with me. It's why I'm gonna drag my feet picking up Throne of Atlantis, that and the blizzard going on up here.

Just finished Justice League: Throne of Atlantis

Where it places on my DC list...

1. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

2. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

3. All-Star Superman***1/2

4. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

5. Wonder Woman***

6. Son of Batman***

7. Batman: Year One***

8. Superman: Doomsday***

9. Superman Unbound***

10. Green Lantern: First Flight***

11. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

12. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

13. Justice League: Doom**

14. Justice League: War*1/2

15: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

Like Justice League: Doom, I really enjoyed bits and pieces of this one. Green Lantern and Batman have a really amusing bromance still, there was a realistic Steel cameo and Superman & Wonder Woman's relationship is a little better "fleshed" out. What kills the good stuff is the return of the very annoying Shazzam (voiced immaturely by Sean Astin), hardly any Flash and Cyborg's character's arc (who am I?) that is totally abandoned and abruptly resolved with a promise of a date. There are two major swear words and loads of blood. I mean we are talking Evil Dead type gore. Blood actually runs down the screen. lol The most bloodthirsty character might be Mera. She impales, disembowels, stabs and so much more stuff than Jason Vorhees could ever imagine with h2o. At the end, they invite Aquaman to join the Justice League, but it makes you wonder why they didn't invite Mera instead. She could level armies with her will alone. Maybe she could do something about Shazzam for the next movie. hm

I wanted to read your Atlantis review and maybe watch it again later before being too brutal on it. So just a couple of thoughts...

An initial reaction during the opening sequence was "Uh oh." The voice-acting seemed very flat and emotionless in relation to the drama and action taking place. Like they were reading a laundry list or something. But maybe the Navy trains submariners not to react to stress...at all.

And I 100% agree about Shazam. :facepalm: It's like they totally ignore 'Shazam' is supposed to be a magical acronym for Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury.

Right? The "wisdom of Solomon", and so on.

They could write Shazam 'adult, but very naive', but for some inexplicable reason they go with Billy-in-a-big-body-brain-farts. Annoying as hell.

After struggling to sit through the preachy and plodding "Thor: Tales of Asgard" from Marvel/Lionsgate, I figured I would update my list with a better movie (from DC no less).

3. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

4. All-Star Superman***1/2

5. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

6. Wonder Woman***

7. Son of Batman***

8. Batman: Year One***

9. Superman: Doomsday***

10. Superman Unbound***

11. Green Lantern: First Flight***

12. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

13. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

14. Justice League: Doom**

15. Justice League: War*1/2

16: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Now that I have had a chance to review some of the Birds of Prey TV show discs, I had a chance to watch the 30 episodes of Gotham Girls.

Gotham Girls

It lasted for three seasons, and the first two seasons had some really funny moments between Poison Ivy, Batgirl, Harley Quinn and Catwoman. I would now rank these high up on the 'must watch' list.

Just finished Batman: Assault on Arkham. It was way better than I was expecting (Heath Corson screenplays haven't been so great). It's definitely not a kid's movie, it's very violent (but not as gory as Justice League: Throne of Atlantis) and aimed more for adults with a few profanities and a sexual situation. I feel everybody's reviews on this one are pretty spot on. It moved at a frantic enough of a pace with a winning combination of characters. Loved The Dark Knight easter egg, when Harley was digging through the Joker's stuff and many others scattered throughout. Recommended.

6. Batman: Assault on Arkham***

7. Wonder Woman***

8. Son of Batman***

9. Batman: Year One***

10. Superman: Doomsday***

11. Superman Unbound***

12. Green Lantern: First Flight***

13. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

14. Batman: Gotham Knight**1'2

15. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

16. Justice League: Doom**

17. Justice League: War*1/2

18: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Just finished Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker. Now that one had a lot of plot, you don't see in the New 52 animated opuses. I just wish it had a darker ending for some reason. I regret passing it up all these years.

6. Batman: Assault on Arkham***

7. Wonder Woman***

8. Son of Batman***

9. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

10. Batman: Year One***

11. Superman: Doomsday***

12. Superman Unbound***