• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

Directed by Sam Liu, I'm onboard. He's worked on some the finest animated DC movies (All-Star Superman, Batman: Year One & Superman/Batman: Public Enemies).

I like that there are going to be digital comics released that go along with the story. That's a cool approach.

Just finished Batman Vs. Robin. Even though a second grader could figure out the villain's hidden identity by their first appearance, I still very much enjoyed Jay Olivia's follow-up to the solid "Son of Batman" movie. I look at it at as more of an equal and a worthy continuation of Damian's story and this is only the second act of the route he is going to take towards the Mantle of the Bat. I'm hoping there is a third movie to finish his unique storyline. Jason O'Mara as Batman's voice easily rivals the great Kevin Conroy (who lends his voice as Thomas Wayne). Even "Weird" Al Yankovic's Dollmaker conveys sympathy for basically a very sick person, for what limited time he has. Jeremy Sisto's voice (Like Darkseid's in Superman/Batman: Apocalypse) might be a bit too calm and seductive for the mayhem he creates, for my tastes. Most of his 'drama' scenes just fall flat.

But, a (thumbs u nevertheless.

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

11. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

12. Wonder Woman***

13. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

14. Batman: Year One***

15. Superman: Doomsday***

16. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

18. Superman Unbound***

19. Green Lantern: First Flight***

20. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

21. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

22. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

23. Justice League: Doom**

24. Justice League: War*1/2

25: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

Just finished The Batman Vs. Dracula (2005). I have only watched one episode of The Batman TV show ("Ring Toss"), so I wasn't overly familiar with the animation style. I dragged my feet on this one, because the box art looks like one of those direct-to-video Scooby-Doo opuses. I thought the movie was really good in places and really ordinary in others. One thing is for certain, it was really violent for a family friendly looking Batman production. One by one, elite members of Gotham's SWAT team are quickly whisked away to their doom by Dracula (offscreen). A cute blood bank girl, is killed by the Joker who was turned into a vampire (offscreen), he then gets into a fight with Bats, as it literally rains blood (color muted to dark brown/black, due to being nightime) from overturned shelves. Vicky Vale even finds the time to get kidnapped twice (I thought Kim Bauer held that record) during the climax. It's not rated, but might be too intense and moody for the wee ones.

Borderline thumbs up, there are worse Marvel animation efforts out there. I'll revisit this one during Halloween, a little down the road.

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

23. The Batman Vs. Dracula**1/2

24. Justice League: Doom**

25. Justice League: War*1/2

26: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Picked up Justice League: The New Frontier & Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman on the cheap tonight for my DVD collection.

Getting kind of scared as I'm running out of DC movies to watch.

Is there any that I'm missing?

Mr. Davenport, what did you think of Superman: Brainiac Attacks? hm

Picked up Justice League: The New Frontier & Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman on the cheap tonight for my DVD collection.

Don't do it, man. :o Avoid that one like the plague. Seriously.

edit: I don't see the aforementioned 'Batman: Mask of the Phantasm' on your list. It's decent and part of Batman:TAS history.

And once you run out of movies, dig into Young Justice. It's movie-quality and 2-seasons worth.

Edited by Davenport

Don't do it, man. :o Avoid that one like the plague. Seriously.

edit: I don't see the aforementioned 'Batman: Mask of the Phantasm' on your list. It's decent and part of Batman:TAS history.

And once you run out of movies, dig into Young Justice. It's movie-quality and 2-seasons worth.

I knew you would know with your expertise with the Superman: The Animated Series. I just saw it looked very similiar to it and almost bought it. But, there was something empty about it too (no extras even).

Yup, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is definitely next to complete my trilogy (SubZero, Batwoman). (thumbs u

Yeah, I bought half the first season of Young Justice (Christmas Tree Shop) and loved it! It wasn't what I was expecting at all (Tiny Teen Titans or something along those lines). Aqualad was bad-azz, Artemis too. Miss Martian. :luhv: I felt so cheated. My generation had the Superfriends. :facepalm:

I felt so cheated. My generation had the Superfriends. :facepalm:
lol That's funny, but too true.

There are other movies out there, but mainly 3-part excerpts from Justice League and the like. The Thanagar invasion / Hawkgirl traitor arc comes to mind, really good, but I can't think of the 'title' for the dvd.

edit: Oh, and Young Justice S2 will be a surprise. Jumps ahead five years, with new character designs. Series long "Invasion" story arc, sort of a graphic novel for tv. (thumbs u

One more: Didn't see Superman vs. The Elite on your list. It's an animated imagining of Action #775 "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?"

220px-SupermanvsElite_coverart_2012.jpg

Edited by Davenport

While they have the live action race on lock so far, only two of Marvels animated endeavors make my list. Most of their animated efforts have a ' camp' element to the voice acting to me. So here goes 10-1

10)Spider-Man:The New Animated Series (MTV) this short lived effort is worth owning on DVD

9)Challenge of the Super-Friends. (Produced when camp was expected in such fare , but it made stars out of the DC super villain roster)

8)Wonder Woman( if only DC would adapt THIS for the live action movie. WW origin story 101)

7)Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes (Marvels BEST animated effort to date, hands down! A shame they ditched it for a series closer to the Movie versions of the team)

6)Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths( in a word...Owl-Man)

5)Superman/Batman: Public Enemies( captures the uneasy alliance perfectly)

4)Batman: The Dark Knight Returns ( spot on adaptation)

3)Justice League Unlimited: Season Two (masterpiece )

2) Max Fleischer's Superman( Grand daddy. Inspired my number one choice.....)

1) Batman: The Animated Series ( if you have to ask.....)

Edited by Sagii

9. Son of Batman***

10. Batman Vs. Robin***

12. Wonder Woman***

18. Superman Unbound***

23. Justice League: Doom**

24. Justice League: War*1/2

25: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

I just finished 'Superman/Batman: Public Enemies' and now get why you rank it so high. I loved how the production team weaved a world together like that involving not only traditional characters (Superman, Batman, Lex Luthor, Shazam, Hawkman), but also newer characters (Amanda Waller, Captain Atom, Major Force, Powergirl, Gorilla Grodd, etc.). By the way, I noticed in the credits Bruce Timm does the voice of Mongul in this movie. Clancy Brown as the voice of Lex is exactly how I would personally expect him to sound.

:applause:

But you are missing one major fantastic DC animated movie from this list that for me ranks very high.

88723.jpg

It is set in the 1950's/1960's, and has many of the key characters. And some of the voice actors (Neil Patrick Harris as The Flash, Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman, Kyle MacLachlan as Superman, Miguel Ferrer as Martian Manhunter) alone make it well worth the experience.

4/5 Stars

But you are missing one major fantastic DC animated movie from this list that for me ranks very high.

88723.jpg

It is set in the 1950's/1960's, and has many of the key characters. And some of the voice actors (Neil Patrick Harris as The Flash, Lucy Lawless as Wonder Woman, Kyle MacLachlan as Superman, Miguel Ferrer as Martian Manhunter) alone make it well worth the experience.

4/5 Stars

I've got the 2-disc Special Edition under the telly ready to watch when I'm back in the mood. Want to get Mask of the Phantasm and the two-disc Crisis on Infinite Earths in two weeks to watch with.

Just got done watching the entire DVD. And this one is jammed with incredible extra DC Showcase episodes containing Jonah Hex, The Spectre, Green Arrow, Justice League Unlimited x 2.

- Main Shazam origin story with Black Adam: ***1/2

- Overall DVD content: ****

I'd personally rank this much higher.