• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

8. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

:o

And I had this movie in my hand today while shopping with the family. And I put it back.

:ohnoez:

Oh, it was unexpectedly fun like Assault on Arkham. I wasn't expecting too much and was surprised how much everything fit together. There's like a 26 minute documentary on Robin on it too, with two B:TAS cartoons. (thumbs u

Batman frank Miller dark knight? not #1

I'm only halfway through Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition so far and WOW! I would give it four stars and declare it the best animated funnybook movie ever and I haven't even got to the parts with Superman so far.

I'm only halfway through Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition so far and WOW! I would give it four stars and declare it the best animated funnybook movie ever and I haven't even got to the parts with Superman so far.

I wanted to stop and watch the 90 minute documentary on Frank Miller to get an even better feel of what he was doing with this. Also watched the wonderful doc on Carrie Kelly. This is a must buy for funnybook movie collectors. But at 2 1/2 hours, I felt I had to break it into two after spending the afternoon watching comic 'toon movies.

Whoever mentioned All Star Superman I have to agree with. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Outside of Marvel / DC

I also want to throw GI Joe Resolute out there. Joe Resolute was better than the live action movies and in no way related nor in the tone of the old cartoon series. I enjoyed it for what it was. Here is a 10 minute clip featuring Snake Eyes v Storm Shadow after Storm Shadow has assassinated a member of the Joe team to send a "message" to Snake Eyes.

It seems they finally got something that can compare to the Larry Hama comics.

(thumbs u

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition is a friggin' epic masterpiece! Four stars. Best animated funnybook movie hands down!

1. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns****

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Wonder Woman***

9. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

10. Son of Batman***

11. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

12. Batman: Year One***

13. Superman: Doomsday***

14. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

15. Superman Unbound***

16. Green Lantern: First Flight***

17. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

18. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

19. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

20. Justice League: Doom**

21. Justice League: War*1/2

22: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition is a friggin' epic masterpiece! Four stars. Best animated funnybook movie hands down!

Just finished it after picking this up from Walmart.

- Story that still delivers in an amazing way.

- Voice actors that really make the characters come to life.

- Fantastic soundtrack.

You are so right. This is top of the heap when it comes to animated movie making.

(worship)

I know Batman & Robin came out today, but somehow I picked up Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero instead. Super stoked to watch that one (Batman Beyond: The Movie is included on that one) and I'll pick up the new release tomorrow or something. Pretty excited to take my DC animated list to 25 by Saturday. Never thought I was ever gonna catch up on them.

- Fantastic soundtrack.

You are so right. This is top of the heap when it comes to animated movie making.

(worship)

Watched Pt1 again last night because of this thread. It is a masterpiece. :cloud9:

I was also struck by what Miller was noticing culturally in '86 that's so amazingly relevant in 2015. The mayor choosing "to negotiate" because "it's what the polls" suggested. Freaky relevant to today's world. And all that TV noise and victimization psycho-babble.

Miller truly was a visionary, wasn't he? And that's without even bringing up Daredevil.

- Fantastic soundtrack.

(worship)

Watched Pt1 again last night because of this thread. It is a masterpiece. :cloud9:

I was also struck by what Miller was noticing culturally in '86 that's so amazingly relevant in 2015. The mayor choosing "to negotiate" because "it's what the polls" suggested. Freaky relevant to today's world. And all that TV noise and victimization psycho-babble.

Miller truly was a visionary, wasn't he? And that's without even bringing up Daredevil.

I've always been more of a movie buff and I never read the series this was based on, so I had no idea where this thing was going, but I could feel the utter power of it. It totally inspired Burton's Batman as well as Nolan's Dark Knight, you could add RoboCop to that list as well (with all those Network news interuptions, ultra violence, political satire, punk's eye view, etc). I'm surprised the producers didn't run with Miller's scripts of RoboCop 2 & 3, instead of playing it reasonably safe.

I cannot wait to watch this one again. (thumbs u

OK, Batman Vs. Robin purchased, looks like another animated DC weekend! :D

(tsk)

You're making me spend money every time you post a review.

These animated ones are really helping me strengthen my funnybook movie section. It's been lopsided with mediocre ones like Howard The Duck, Underdog, Man-Thing, The Scribbler, etc.

I am pretty cheap buying these though.

At a yard sale last summer I saw Green Lantern: First Flight in pristine condition for $2. I picked it up and the woman said, it was animated, so I put it down. Then she said "A quarter". lol

You are so right. Although I love reading the comics from time to time, this movie made it that much better to experience.

I've always been more of a movie buff and I never read the series this was based on, so I had no idea where this thing was going, but I could feel the utter power of it. It totally inspired Burton's Batman as well as Nolan's Dark Knight, you could add RoboCop to that list as well (with all those Network news interuptions, ultra violence, political satire, punk's eye view, etc). I'm surprised the producers didn't run with Miller's scripts of RoboCop 2 & 3, instead of playing it reasonably safe.

I cannot wait to watch this one again. (thumbs u

:applause:

And you were not kidding about the extra features. What a great animated comic movie.

:whee:

And you were not kidding about the extra features. What a great animated comic movie.

:whee:

I noticed the dvd to Batman Vs. Robin no longer offers the double disc treatment. Most of the extras are on the Blu Ray only which has been cranked down in price. Have to admit I saw it coming. DVD is a dying format. Most new releases are all bare bones in the extras department in any genre. I don't mind owning these type movies though, as I slow down buying movies on disc.

And if you get a chance to see the older 'Batman: SubZero' it might make your list. It's mainly a Batgirl story and very well done.

batman-mr-freeze-subzero-screenshot-1.jpg

Finally got see SubZero. I really enjoyed it. Loved it's old fashioned Max Fleischer animation and the sound effects editing was top notch. Barbara Gordon's "linework" rivaled Jessica Rabbit :o . All-in-all way better than the Clooney/Mr. Freeze live-action opus. My only jeer would be how abruptly it ended.

Batman Beyond: The Movie (techically the retooled pilot to the series) was a perfect companion "movie" to SubZero.

2. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse***1/2

3. Superman/Batman: Public Enemies***1/2

4. The Batman Superman Movie***1/2

5. All-Star Superman***1/2

6. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox***1/2

7. Batman: Assault on Arkham***1/2

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

9. Wonder Woman***

10. Batman: Under The Red Hood***

11. Son of Batman***

12. Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker***

13. Batman: Year One***

14. Superman: Doomsday***

15. Batman Beyond: The Movie***

16. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

17. Superman Unbound***

18. Green Lantern: First Flight***

19. Justice League: Throne of Atlantis**1/2

20. Batman: Gotham Knight**1/2

21. Green Lantern: Emerald Knights**1/2

22. Justice League: Doom**

23. Justice League: War*1/2

24: JLA Adventures: Trapped In Time*1/2

Honorable Mention: The Lego Movie***

Glad you like SubZero. :applause: I've always thought it as strong or better than Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (which released to theaters). And yeah, kinda ironic how the animated Mr. Freeze involved fairly dark themes, while the live-action was neon-screen-bilge. 'Cartoonish' in the worst way.