• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the best Marvel/DC animated series/movies?
1 1

367 posts in this topic

By the way, the Jonah Hex DC Showcase is spot-on and well worth the watch. It goes for a 'man with no name' approach, with a fantastic soundtrack, great voice acting, and one heck of a dark story.

- Jonah Hex: Thomas Jane

- Madame Lorraine: Linda Hamilton

- Michael Rooker: Red Doc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Showcase:_Jonah_Hex

I would give this *****/*****.

Give us more!

17. Superman/Shazam!: Return of Black Adam***

Just got done watching the entire DVD. And this one is jammed with incredible extra DC Showcase episodes containing Jonah Hex, The Spectre, Green Arrow, Justice League Unlimited x 2.

- Main Shazam origin story with Black Adam: ***1/2

- Overall DVD content: ****

I'd personally rank this much higher.

For my 20th animated DC movie,

...and although, it's technically a short, Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam helps erase a lot of the stank Captain Marvel has left in the DC Universe with Justice League: War and Justice League: Throne of Atlantis with movie quality animation. Perfect origin set-up that goes straight to the action. Black Adam is one bad-mother (he randomly kills). Wish it was longer and had some Mary Marvel.

:whee:

I'm actually considering taking it off my list altogether and start a new list underneath of DC shorts. Technically that's what it is at about 25 minutes.

DC shorts are ten times better than feature length animated Marvel efforts (so far).

I bought The Invincible Iron Man today at a yard sale.

It probably sucks, but it was co-directed by Jay Olivia (Batman: The Dark Knight returns, Batman Vs. Robin, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Batman: Assault on Arkham and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights) so there's hope.

Couldn't pull the trigger on Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, even for $13 at Best Buy. Didn't really like the trailer on the Batman Vs. Robin movie. I figure it's a lighter Batman Vs. Dracula type effort. I'll wait for the price crash.

Couldn't pull the trigger on Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, even for $13 at Best Buy.
The previews for Animal Instincts seemed "off" somehow. The voicework struck me as flat, with all the same 'type' of voice. Not much vocal-personality differences between male heroes. Plus it's impossible to tell what Universe it's in. Batman doesn't seem to know Man-Bat is Langstrom, Transformer dogs galore, Batman Beyond suit, and general weirdness.

Lately DC Animation seems to swing from comic book adaptation efforts to doing rudderless gobbledygook one-offs. And I guess consumers are on their own to figure out what's what.

Couldn't pull the trigger on Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts, even for $13 at Best Buy.
The previews for Animal Instincts seemed "off" somehow. The voicework struck me as flat, with all the same 'type' of voice. Not much vocal-personality differences between male heroes. Plus it's impossible to tell what Universe it's in. Batman doesn't seem to know Man-Bat is Langstrom, Transformer dogs galore, Batman Beyond suit, and general weirdness.

Lately DC Animation seems to swing from comic book adaptation efforts to doing rudderless gobbledygook one-offs. And I guess consumers are on their own to figure out what's what.

I noticed this myself. The quality has gone down some.

I wonder if Paul Levitz leaving had any affect?

Most DC Animation are homeruns, but lately they have been hit or miss.

Justice League and Justice League Unlimited on Netflix.

Complete series.

It`s been a long time since I watched them.

I know they were good.

I wonder if I should revisit them again?

hm

Absolutely, yes. (thumbs u Odds are you'll noticed things you missed before. There's such a subtle but strong underlying continuity from the 1st episode to the last. Tiny details in early episodes click into place in later episodes. Viewed commercial-free the "world building" really has a chance to shine through.

And personally there's an embedded arc I've yet to grow tired of. It begins with 'Question Authority' and flows through 'Flashpoint', 'Panic in the Sky', and concludes with 'Divided We Fall'. Collectively those episodes are one of the best comic book stories animated to date imho. Solid storytelling, a tpb for tv. :cloud9:

I bought The Invincible Iron Man today at a yard sale.

It probably sucks, but it was co-directed by Jay Olivia (Batman: The Dark Knight returns, Batman Vs. Robin, Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, Batman: Assault on Arkham and Green Lantern: Emerald Knights) so there's hope.

:news:

My review...

EPIC FAIL!

:facepalm:

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

Just saw this for the first time today. OUTSTANDING!

- Directed by Boyd Kirkland (from Batman: the Animated Series)

- Kevin Conroy as Batman

- Michael 'Commander Kang' Ansara as MR Freeze

- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Alfred

3.5/5 stars

8. Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero***

Just saw this for the first time today. OUTSTANDING!

- Directed by Boyd Kirkland (from Batman: the Animated Series)

- Kevin Conroy as Batman

- Michael 'Commander Kang' Ansara as MR Freeze

- Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as Alfred

3.5/5 stars

(thumbs u

I didn't like the closing scene at first, but it really grew on me since. I wanted Freeze to have a happier ending, but he did get an unexpected happy one, just with no personal pay-off. It eventually seemed "real" as he hobbled off in the sunset as things will never be the same for him in the condition he is in. If only Batman & Robin (1997), had used Mr. Freeze like this...

Bosco, did you ever watch Mask of the Phantasm?

Last week. I really liked it. I had a feeling who the real villain was in the movie, and I surprised myself in being right.

:whee: