• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

See, that's what Fox should be targeting. Something different, where sci-fi and fantasy come together in a film that just so happens to involve a superhero team. Then it isn't just another comic book movie flooding the market.

See, that's what Fox should be targeting. Something different, where sci-fi and fantasy come together in a film that just so happens to involve a superhero team. Then it isn't just another comic book movie flooding the market.

I`ll be there opening night. I hope I report back with a good review.

I am going in with an open mind because I loved Chronicle and think Michael B. Jordan is a good actor.

Will see if FF is good. :wishluck:

I am going in with an open mind because I loved Chronicle and think Michael B. Jordan is a good actor.

giphy.gif

:baiting:

giphy.gif

:baiting:

lol

This movie is based more on ultimate FF :shrug:

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF

Actually, I think it is more that not many people care about the FF period. The FF,s popularity peaked in the mid to late 60s when ASM took over as Marvel's flagship franchise and has been in and downward spiral ever since. The fact that the cast and trailers look bad from the get go does not help, but it is a 3rd tier property now that the vast majority of the general public does not care about.

The only argument I could make against this is people cared less about Ant-Man, but Ant-Man should beat this FF movie at the box office.

Other than that your right that FF have sank to a 3rd tier property.

Imagine though if Marvel or Fox followed Stan and Jack`s vision step by step using the comics as the guide?

We would be talking FF as the number one movie franchise now.

We wouldn`t be talking about the FF as C-listers.

Unbelievable how much potential they wasted.

There is no Marvel movie that has followed Stan and Jack's (or Stan and Steve's) vision step by step, yet they've still been extremely successful. In fact most of them ignore a great deal of what has happened before and rewrote the story.

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I agree the FF movie will probably bomb which is good for Marvel to get the FF back, but sorry man sometimes you really come off that if the stories are not like your childhood then you completely shut down.

You do realize that most of the SA comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

Ultimate FF ran from 2004-2009. Stan and Jack's FF has run from 1961 to 2015. Pick up any FF from the past 5 years and it obviously looks nothing like SA FF - it's been 'modernized' for lack of a better term. But the comic still has the same bedrock that Stan and Jack built (personalities/structure/style). I don't know about anyone else, but that's why I won't see this movie, it's just not the Fantastic Four.

I disagree. Reed from Civil War didn't have any of the personality of Reed from the 1960s - 1980s. Like Tony Stark, they updated his personality and lost the original character along the way.

About slutty Sue, I'm guessing that has more to do with comics that feature her with Namor, Dr. Doom, and Black Panther. Did she cheat on Reed during Civil War?

Yep, I agree with you. When I read Civil War I remember throwing the book across the room in disgust. Luckily, the writers since then have been ignoring that (as much as they can). The two lowest points in FF history are Civil War and Ultimate FF. And what do they have in common? They changed the core characters. Looks like this movie joins the list.

I don't know where Trank's slutty Sue comment came from. Since he knows nothing about the comics, he probably just made it up.

Well, I'm with you on this, Bosco 'Ol Pal. (thumbs u

I like familiar stuff shaken up a bit.

Yet they shook up Spider-Man in ASM 2 which was more based on Ultimate Spider-Man.

Sometimes change isn`t good,

Yet they shook up Spider-Man in ASM 2 which was more based on Ultimate Spider-Man.

You were a HUGE supporter of Amazing Spider-Man 2. I believe even talked about what a fantastic story it was. Yet that had nothing to do with Ultimate Spider-Man. Unfortunately, it ended up being a story overcrowded with villains, very confusing, yet had so much potential.

I would not blame Ultimate Spider-Man for that mess.

You were a HUGE supporter of Amazing Spider-Man 2. I believe even talked about what a fantastic story it was. Yet that had nothing to do with Ultimate Spider-Man. Unfortunately, it ended up being a story overcrowded with villains, very confusing, yet had so much potential.

:taptaptap: I thought you said it was a "winner".

Just kidding, you probably were referring to the mainstream's reaction to through box-office returns. :)

I thought it was a two star movie. I've seen worse funnybook movies.

Trouble is, Webb is a talented filmmaker, but not a popcorn movie maker.

Just my opinion. I thought the first one was good (three stars), but assumed they would go with another director for something less personal and more ambitious.

I think the studio were the ones calling all the shots for this movie and not Webb and it showed on screen.

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF, as they want a FF movie based on Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision with some John Byrne thrown in.

wait, are you saying i wasted the last two years and untold millions hoarding Ultimate FF #1? :censored:

:taptaptap: I thought you said it was a "winner".

Just kidding, you probably were referring to the mainstream's reaction to through box-office returns. :)

I thought it was a two star movie. I've seen worse funnybook movies.

Trouble is, Webb is a talented filmmaker, but not a popcorn movie maker.

Just my opinion. I thought the first one was good (three stars), but assumed they would go with another director for something less personal and more ambitious.

I think the studio were the ones calling all the shots for this movie and not Webb and it showed on screen.

I did like ASM 2,but the point is if the MAJORITY didn`t like ASM 2,than why would anybody expect them to like the new FF?

Think they hated the changes in ASM 2 because it wasn`t their Spider-Man they remembered. Definitely this will not be their FF.

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF, as they want a FF movie based on Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision with some John Byrne thrown in.

wait, are you saying i wasted the last two years and untold millions hoarding Ultimate FF #1? :censored:

lol

Who knows maybe this FF will surprise and do GoTG numbers?

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I agree the FF movie will probably bomb which is good for Marvel to get the FF back, but sorry man sometimes you really come off that if the stories are not like your childhood then you completely shut down.

You do realize that most of the SA comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

Ultimate FF ran from 2004-2009. Stan and Jack's FF has run from 1961 to 2015. Pick up any FF from the past 5 years and it obviously looks nothing like SA FF - it's been 'modernized' for lack of a better term. But the comic still has the same bedrock that Stan and Jack built (personalities/structure/style). I don't know about anyone else, but that's why I won't see this movie, it's just not the Fantastic Four.

I disagree. Reed from Civil War didn't have any of the personality of Reed from the 1960s - 1980s. Like Tony Stark, they updated his personality and lost the original character along the way.

About slutty Sue, I'm guessing that has more to do with comics that feature her with Namor, Dr. Doom, and Black Panther. Did she cheat on Reed during Civil War?

Yep, I agree with you. When I read Civil War I remember throwing the book across the room in disgust. Luckily, the writers since then have been ignoring that (as much as they can). The two lowest points in FF history are Civil War and Ultimate FF. And what do they have in common? They changed the core characters. Looks like this movie joins the list.

I don't know where Trank's slutty Sue comment came from. Since he knows nothing about the comics, he probably just made it up.

I've been thinking about it, and you know where Sue was dressed up and acting somewhat like a slutty secretary? In the first two movies.

She would wear those glasses, and proper clothes, but have that hot pink lipstick on, and her shirt open one button to many.

He's basing it off the movies, and has probably never even read the comics

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I've been thinking about it, and you know where Sue was dressed up and acting somewhat like a slutty secretary? In the first two movies.

She would wear those glasses, and proper clothes, but have that hot pink lipstick on, and her shirt open one button to many.

He's basing it off the movies, and has probably never even read the comics

Yep that's it! Good call.