• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I finally saw Mad Max Fury Road. WOW. That is a great movie.

Yup. Adrenaline rush from start to finish.

But they've been pretty good. When someone's on a roll, they generally tend to get approval for whatever they have next.

Have they? I really think that's perception and the overall "shared universe" factor

if you were to rate the movies individually and on their own merits, less than half of them (at least to me) are meh

IM1 - :thumbsup:

IM2 - meh

Thor - meh

CA1 - :thumbsup:

Avengers :thumbsup:

IM3 - :sick:

Thor2 - meh

CA2 - :thumbsup:

GOTG - :thumbsup:

I haven't seen the last two (AV2 and Ant-Man)

No offense to your opinion or mine, but the only voice Marvel hears is at the box office.

The worst of those last 5 movies beat it's domestic budget by almost $40MIL, and the last 3: Cap2 (+$80MIL), GOTG (+160MIL), and AV2 (+205MIL), pretty much cement the notion that Marvel is on a roll. Regardless of what me, you or anyone thinks of the 'content'.

To Marvel, MONEY is the sound of people saying (thumbs u

The last FF movie squeaked past it's budget, and from 2003 until this last X-men DOFP movie, the BEST any of the X-Men movies could do vs it's domestic budget was still under $30MIL. (shrug)

Fox needs a few more X-men DOFP numbers before anyone's going to start thinking they got it all together.

There's no disagreement there. They are making money like crazy. I was just questioning if the movies were really any good and it was in response to your comment: 'people who will buy any superhero garbage a studio will put out'.

'Good' is subjective. Box-office is measurable, but has it's drawbacks obviously in regards to how something is marketed and if it's really quality product.

Marvel Studios has put out big budget movies that have consistently shown big returns. No one is saying they're perfect.... but what is it that's useable as a measurable means to show success that isn't subjective to opinion?

Movie after movie after movie that shows a large turn in investment.

It's the reason they keep making more superhero movies.

Marvel has done a brilliant job executing their movie line. Just like their comics, use tie ins to increase the overall readership (in this case viewership). If these were standalone movies (without an Avengers tie-in) I doubt we'd be seeing the numbers that we are seeing.

each of these movies gets a residual effect from the last one.

But doesn't that prove they're good? If they weren't good, people would stop going to them and the residual effect would work against them.

Sequels and sequels of sequels generally have a downward trend in success... that's the history of blockbuster movies....

Marvel has found a way to be successful in their sequels.

The only one that we saw overcome that (and stand on its own) was GOTG because it was a very solid (acting/directing/story) movie.

But it disproves your point. It didn't use a tie-in and was still hugely successful.

So was CAWS but the rest have been ok. They are still fun to me because I love superheroes but folks say "GREAT" when in fact they are probably not.

Great is subjective. I prefer to think of them as really enjoyable. And it's hard to argue that, given that people continue to show up for their movies and make them financially successful, even when they do one without a tie-in. (shrug)

There is no doubt a Halo effect going on with Marvel and asking everyone to be just as critical with them seems to not be going anywhere so I will drop it.

Why? If you feel that way, there's nothing wrong with expressing it.

I finally saw Mad Max Fury Road. WOW. That is a great movie.

I loved it!

But they've been pretty good. When someone's on a roll, they generally tend to get approval for whatever they have next.

Have they? I really think that's perception and the overall "shared universe" factor

if you were to rate the movies individually and on their own merits, less than half of them (at least to me) are meh

IM2 - meh

Thor - meh

CA1 - :thumbsup:

Avengers :thumbsup:

IM3 - :sick:

Thor2 - meh

GOTG - :thumbsup:

I haven't seen the last two (AV2 and Ant-Man)

IM2 - :whatev:

Thor - :)

CA1 - meh

Avengers : :)

IM3 - :blush::)

Thor2 - :)

GOTG - (worship)

Big Hero 6 - :popcorn:

This is how it goes for me.

IM - (worship)

IM 2 - (thumbs u

IM 3 - :/

CA - (thumbs u

THOR - (thumbs u

AVG - (worship)

GOTG - (worship)

AOU - (thumbs u

Have not seen Thor TDW or Winter Soldier.

Thor 2 is light, yet entertaining enough and TWS is pretty well directed until the finale. (thumbs u

Whoopsie!

I forgot The Incredible Hulk hm;)

(see Thor 2 review) lol

:applause:
Is it safe to admit I might want to watch this movie?

I haven't watched a trailer yet (I live in the mountains-low internet speed), but the behind-the-scenes stuff on the new X-Men Rogue Cut looked pretty engaging.

I'm hoping so. I'd hate to see another F4 come out that I feel guilty watching.

Though at least with "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' at least I bought that at the Dollar Tree.

:blush:

:applause:
Is it safe to admit I might want to watch this movie?

I haven't watched a trailer yet (I live in the mountains-low internet speed), but the behind-the-scenes stuff on the new X-Men Rogue Cut looked pretty engaging.

I'm hoping so. I'd hate to see another F4 come out that I feel guilty watching.

Though at least with "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer' at least I bought that at the Dollar Tree.

:blush:

Guilt trip funnybook dvds I own: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, Underdog, The Scribbler, Special, Super, Defendor, Elektra, All Superheroes Must Die, Paperman, Josie & The Pussycats, Virus, Man-Thing, Punisher: War Zone, Hercules, to name a few...

That's a lot of FF 2 remainder DVD's to sell off a buck a piece from a big studio. There still was quite a few of them left a few weeks after up here in NH. I was thinking of getting 10 of them for trick 'r treaters, but kids probably don't watch dvds anymore. lol

Bought the Cosmic Edition at Family Dollar (soon to be owned by Dollar Tree) for $3. Got the Extended Edition of Part 1 there too. (thumbs u

Best trailer so far...

Where do I turn in my FF Fan Card? Do you want me to mail it to you Chip?

Naked Thing... :eek: