• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

You missed the :baiting: , though it did seem like you were banging the fail drum rather fast.

Not fast, because I've been loosely watching films and meta-ratings since they started. Nobody embargoes a film until release day unless they already know it sucks and they're trying to squeeze out a few extra million on opening weekend.

You missed the :baiting: , though it did seem like you were banging the fail drum rather fast.

Not fast, because I've been loosely watching films and meta-ratings since they started. Nobody embargoes a film until release day unless they already know it sucks and they're trying to squeeze out a few extra million on opening weekend.

This is not a GOOD sign.

:eek:

Fantastic Four Reviews Are Embargoed Until Release

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/07/fantastic-four-reviews-are-embargoed-until-release/

Interesting.

Review embargoes aren’t uncommon. Even Marvel does it, but they do it to a specific date so they can control the coverage and allow everyone to post their reviews at the same time. They don’t embargo them until the day of release either, they will sometimes embargo them for the Monday prior to release so that entire release week is dominated by news of the movie.

Could it be because of all the pre-movie fanboy bad press coming out of sites like comicbookmovie.com and other such sites? There are hardcore Marvel Studio fans on these sites that take it real personal another studio puts out Marvel movies. Even to the point they will post articles to mock the targeted movie.

(shrug)

Could it be something else other than the total movie a flop?

Does Marvel provide consultation on the Fox and Sony movies? Or do those studios just reach out to the comic creators themselves?

I dont think either, necessarily. I believe creators have had input on the X-Men franchise but I can't remember anything said about assistance on any of the FF films, and though I'm probably mistaken, same with Spidey.

It's idiotic to believe that Fox wouldn't consult actual comic book creators for this film.

Comic book writer Mark Millar is listed as a creative consultant on the FF movie.

You know, Mark Millar who wrote the first story arcs of Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates, and (with Bendis) Ultimate FF. He then wrote the primary FF title for ~20 issues or so in 2008-09.

He also wrote Marvel's Civll War and Old Man Logan storylines, and created/wrote Wanted, Kick- and Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Filmwise, he's served as a creative consultant on the first Iron Man, as well as the film adaptations of his properties (Wanted, Kick-). He's also serving as creative consultant on X-Men: Apocalypse and (duh) Wolverine 3 (since he wrote Old Man Logan).

You can prematurely hate on the FF film because they're adapting Ultimate FF, but at least they brought in the dude who literally established half the Ultimate line for this movie. And a guy who has had no fewer than six of his comic book creations turned into major studio films (including the forthcoming Cap sequel).

Edited by Gatsby77

This is not a GOOD sign.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/07/fantastic-four-reviews-are-embargoed-until-release/

On the bright side, maybe Marvel/Disney will be able to get the rights to the Fantastic Four back sooner than expected. :wishluck:

regardless whether the movie is good or bad, the rights got renewed the moment this movie was made.

It's unfortunate that no matter what the product is, Marvel/Disney have convinced everyone that unless it's their film or with their input any comic movie is "not good enough"

I can't wait for the day when Marvel has all their properties back and people start clamoring for DC to sell their rights of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman to Marvel so they can make the "right" movie.

This is not a GOOD sign.

So is there a penalty for breaking this embargo? I cannot see how something like this is enforced. Is it just a courtesy to the studio to not release a review until they say?

Does this include official reviews, official fan sites, and wannabe fan sites?

This is not a GOOD sign.

So is there a penalty for breaking this embargo? I cannot see how something like this is enforced. Is it just a courtesy to the studio to not release a review until they say?

Does this include official reviews, official fan sites, and wannabe fan sites?

The embargo for Avatar was broke and the articles back then mention no penalties for doing so. I'm guessing it is a courtesy and if broken, the studio doesn't invite you to pre-screenings in the future.

Why Embargo Movie Critics' Reviews?

For those of you not in the business, here's the deal: Generally speaking, when critics see a film -- no matter whether it is two weeks before it opens or six months -- there's an unspoken agreement with the film companies that we won't publish or post reviews until the week the film opens. Granted, we will publish our thoughts about movies after seeing them at a festival -- but that's rarely a substitute for a full, considered review. More like taking the temperature of the festival itself.

Occasionally, however, a film company will send out screening notices with a specific embargo in force: You cannot post or publish your review until X date. It might be the week of opening, it might be two days before opening -- it might be opening day itself.

Sometimes, they even ask you to sign a non-disclosure release to that effect. The understanding is clear: If you see this movie at this screening, you agree to the embargo. And they have your signature to prove it.

Does Marvel provide consultation on the Fox and Sony movies? Or do those studios just reach out to the comic creators themselves?

I dont think either, necessarily. I believe creators have had input on the X-Men franchise but I can't remember anything said about assistance on any of the FF films, and though I'm probably mistaken, same with Spidey.

It's idiotic to believe that Fox wouldn't consult actual comic book creators for this film.

Comic book writer Mark Millar is listed as a creative consultant on the FF movie.

You know, Mark Millar who wrote the first story arcs of Ultimate X-Men, The Ultimates, and (with Bendis) Ultimate FF. He then wrote the primary FF title for ~20 issues or so in 2008-09.

He also wrote Marvel's Civll War and Old Man Logan storylines, and created/wrote Wanted, Kick- and Kingsman: The Secret Service.

Filmwise, he's served as a creative consultant on the first Iron Man, as well as the film adaptations of his properties (Wanted, Kick-). He's also serving as creative consultant on X-Men: Apocalypse and (duh) Wolverine 3 (since he wrote Old Man Logan).

You can prematurely hate on the FF film because they're adapting Ultimate FF, but at least they brought in the dude who literally established half the Ultimate line for this movie. And a guy who has had no fewer than six of his comic book creations turned into major studio films (including the forthcoming Cap sequel).

I meant no disrespect to you or Mark Millar, and I stand corrected. :applause:

I also want to point out that I loved the little bit of UFF I have read, and never once have prejudged this upcoming movie based on it. All my nitpickings have been things I've seen in the trailers and stem out my strong desire for the FF to join the MCU. :foryou:

y4dT1vk.png

"Fantastic Four" has an August 7, 2015 release directed by Josh Trank from a screenplay by Jeremy Slater, Simon Kinberg and Josh Trank; produced by Matthew Vaughn, Simon Kinberg, Hutch Parker, Robert Kulzar and Gregory Goodman; starring: Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara, Jamie Bell and Toby Kebbell.

So it looks like Fox adjusted the review embargo slightly.

I do like the little joke about 'no containment suit necessary'.

:whee:

Containment suit my azz, why would any of them need one?

And it still doesn't explain what happened to his kibble and bits.

It's not the lack of shorts that has people wondering, it's the fact that no shorts reveals the genitalia of a ken doll.

Where's his manhood? Floating around detached in the negative zone?

I wonder if it will reappear as a villain in a future movie?

The Fantastic Four VS the Things thing.

:signfunny:

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Thing's Thing

Edited by gadzukes

This thread has taken quite a homoerotic turn. :eek::fear:

Looks like the actor playing him has the stones to do it nude

Hey now! I didn't say that above. Someone needs to learn how to quote.

:baiting:

To make it less cumbersome I suggest the title of the upcoming film be: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Things.

To make it less cumbersome I suggest the title of the upcoming film be: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Things.

How about

Fantastic Four: The search for the Thing (the Things thing that is)

So, is the consensus right now that FF is going to suck donkey balls?

The review embargo reduced my optimism significantly. It's good that they lifted it by a day, but I'm afraid they only did it due to a huge negative backlash. I have far less room for optimism than before this week. :sorry: