• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

'Fantastic Four' Cast Revealed

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM

EVER

SUPPORT it.

That could not have been more perfectly said. Thanks.

I think most everyone is aware of that... maybe not, maybe there are some who aren't.

I always considered the 'Ultimate' titles to be flash in the pan, speculation concepts, put together by Marvel because they were too afraid to do anything to 'risky' with their 'properties'; and only did a short term amount of business because the people they were aimed at were primarily the ones too lazy to read the original material and understand and respect it in the context it was created.

It would comparable to someone, thinking Alfred Hitchcock's version of 'Psycho' was 'outdated' and instead wanted to create a new story for comics based upon the Gus Van Sant version. They'd be laughed at. They'd be laughed at. They wouldn't be taken seriously.

Comics, even ground breaking, industry changing CLASSICS, still don't get the respect they deserve from the rest of the world.

And I don't like it.

I look at what Jack and Stan did with that original run as respect-worthy in a Hitchcock way or a Beatles worthy way, at the very least within the field it was created in, and so, to ME anyway... when I look at how this KID Josh Trank has approached it, by ignoring it for this LAME knock-off version, and the CLEAR DISRESPECT he has for the original material....

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I'm so glad I got Arch to add this emoticon a few years back.

:preach:

:baiting:

But I can understand the passion and sentiment. You liked things just the way they were from the beginning because it felt right. Meanwhile, there are going to be others that appreciate change more. That doesn't make them less of a fan because they can appreciate change over time, including modern social themes factored into the story.

I gotta ask, why is Ultimate FF a modern retelling of the story? Because Josh Trank says it is? As far as I can tell that heaping pile of garbage was cancelled in 2009. The main universe FF was still being printed in 2015 - and the recent writing has been excellent (and very modern).

Edited by Werner_Von_Doom

I wish someone would add a barf emoji on here

You could always do a Paulie Popcorn trailers video. There's plenty of content now to make a decision...

...about the trailers.

(:

Haha! Not a bad idea! (thanks for mentioning my YT channel!)

Absolutely, 100%, Incorrect.

Change is a part of life... it's a part of any creation. And when someone understand's the essence of that creation, they're able to incorporate change because it feels like the direction a character would go. Even if it's not what might be expected. They have an understanding and a respect for what was done before. Guys like Geoff Johns and Mark Waid do this very well in the comics.

Josh Trank could care less about the comics. He's even said so.

So I could care less about seeing his movie.

There are plenty of changes in superhero movies, I'm perfectly fine with that... it's a different medium...just make it enjoyable, and don't sacrifice the essence of the character(s).

But certainly don't snub your nose at them and expect me to buy into it.

I'm 100% incorrect on how passionate you are over the original Fantastic Four team design and history? To me, you have really driven that point home a few times now. Even made it a point to call out repeatedly how this movie has nothing to do with the Fantastic Four team you thoroughly appreciate. How is that 100% inaccurate?

I'm not saying your expectations for a comic book film are not important. They are. But so is everyone else's if they feel this new version fits their expectations. Just for you, this doesn't cut it. I think I figured that out long before this post.

No, 100% incorrect that I don't appreciate change, while "Meanwhile, there are going to be others that appreciate change more."

It's NOT about changes. There are plenty of changes made in these movies that don't faze me a bit.

It's only about respect of the material. And they have none.

I gotta ask, why is Ultimate FF a modern retelling of the story? Because Josh Trank says it is? As far as I can tell that heaping pile of garbage was cancelled in 2009. The main universe FF was still being printed in 2015 - and the recent writing has been excellent (and very modern).

If you read that original announcement article, that was posted as John Trank was being hired. So if anyone was saying it was based on the Ultimate Fantastic Four, it would be Simon Kinberg (original screenplay writer). He has a few credits under his belt now, past and future.

- X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

- Stand-alone Star Wars spin-off (2016)

- Star Wars Rebels (2014-2015)

- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

- Sherlock Holmes (2009)

Is this more about Josh Trank than it is the movie itself? I don't know, and was just wondering.

No, 100% incorrect that I don't appreciate change, while "Meanwhile, there are going to be others that appreciate change more."

It's NOT about changes. There are plenty of changes made in these movies that don't faze me a bit.

It's only about respect of the material. And they have none.

So then I'm not 100% incorrect in what I stated concerning you are so passionate about the topic, you disagree with their take on the story.

I agree, hearing from the actors Trank told them not to read any comic books was an early warning sign for me. And I just assumed this movie was going to be a huge bomb.

But then the first trailer came out, and this seemed to have more heart than what was leaked. Sorry you disagree with that. Meanwhile, my take on what I am seeing here stands.

You could always do a Paulie Popcorn trailers video. There's plenty of content now to make a decision...

...about the trailers.

(:

No worries. No harm was meant in mentioning your YT channel. I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the trailers.

:popcorn:

This movie is based more on ultimate FF :shrug:

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF, as they want a FF movie based on Jack Kirby and Stan Lee`s vision with some John Byrne thrown in.

Think about this when they made the Watchmen movie they based it on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon`s version, and not Before Watchmen.

Imagine if DC ignored Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons Watchmen, and concentrated on Before Watchmen as the bases of the Watchmen movie?

What Fox did will come back to bite them at the box office.

...about the trailers.

(:

No worries. No harm was meant in mentioning your YT channel. I look forward to seeing what you come up with on the trailers.

:popcorn:

I wish I had more time to do more videos! My real job takes up most of it. Trying to make my YT channel a paying one!

And it would appear from the beginning it was noted to be based on Ultimate Fantastic Four.

Based on the comic “The Ultimate Fantastic Four,” the contemporary update will focus on the characters as young men and women. Josh Trank will helm the pic with Kinberg, Matthew Vaughn and Gregory Goodman serving as producers.

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

Yowza! A little bit harsh on the "Ultimate" line, IMO, but I see where you're coming from.

I thought both Ultimate Spidey and The Ultimates (vol 1 & 2) were really well done. UFF wasn't nearly as good as those two titles.

I enjoyed the Ultimate FF. I do NOT remember any "slutty secretary" Sue in it, nor anywhere in the original comic. Where'd he get that idea from? ???

Yeah, I don't remember that either.

So Sue Storm's extra ability is that she's "hyper-intelligent"?!? You've got to be kidding me.

Here's a quote from Josh Trank:

"There have always been two categories of Sue – the slutty secretary version, and this brilliant scientist version. This is a really, really smart Sue, and one that is dignified and has integrity."

Always? Except for one brief moment, when Sue was corrupted (Malice), she has never been "slutty". And, while she is dedicated, loyal, protective, and powerful (as well as being dignified and having integrity), she has never been a "brilliant scientist" or "hyper-intelligent" (Except in the horrible useless fake Ultimate FF).

Yeah it doesnt sound like he knows what he's talking about

Nail. Head.

This movie is based more on ultimate FF :shrug:

The bottom line is not many people care about Ultimate FF

Actually, I think it is more that not many people care about the FF period. The FF,s popularity peaked in the mid to late 60s when ASM took over as Marvel's flagship franchise and has been in and downward spiral ever since. The fact that the cast and trailers look bad from the get go does not help, but it is a 3rd tier property now that the vast majority of the general public does not care about.

And I don't like it.

I will NEVER

EVER

SUPPORT it.

I agree the FF movie will probably bomb which is good for Marvel to get the FF back, but sorry man sometimes you really come off that if the stories are not like your childhood then you completely shut down.

You do realize that most of the SA comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

You do realize that most of the SA modern drek comics are impossible to read anymore without being bored right?

Fixed it for you. :whee:

Re-reading the old Stan Lee issues besides the origin panels are absolutely painful and boring.

Comic book stories didn't get good till the late 70's.