• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

My expectations are low enough that if this movie doesn't actually make me physically sick I'll consider it better than expected.

Same. I generally enjoyed the first two films, although I never liked the idea of Tim Story directing them and didn't like the campy tone of either film. I'm aware of the weaknesses and stupid elements, but I like the characters and there was enough there for me to enjoy to overlook the stupid mess. I'm betting that'll be the case this time as well; the trailers suggest there will be.

But holy mess, another reboot. But a crappy one this time. :eek:

On the one hand, Green Lantern reviews were embargoed until the day before the release of the film, and those reviews were horrible.

On the other hand, Mad Max: Road Fury reviews were embargoed until a few days before the release of that film. Mad Max was, of course, a hit with critics and viewers.

But for a film slotted late in the Summer that needs as much marketing as possible, I agree that this is a very bad sign for FF.

On the other hand, Mad Max: Road Fury reviews were embargoed until a few days before the release of that film. Mad Max was, of course, a hit with critics and viewers.

That's a very different situation, and I've seen it for many well-reviewed films. A few days before a film is released is enough time to read the review and then decide if you want to go...a day-of embargo doesn't give you that time. You go in blindly the first day if you have no reviews to base the decision on. It's a small thing relative to the entire set of people who go to a movie, but I assume it probably translates to millions of box office dollars since the crowds are so big the first few days.

Avatar had an embargo until opening day but I believe the embargo was broke. I suspect it will be the same for this movie.

Hmm, I Googled it and looks like you're right. Hopefully this is Fox being as cautious as James Cameron was. :wishluck: But if it is, it'd be the exception, not the rule. :sorry:

My expectations are low enough that if this movie doesn't actually make me physically sick I'll consider it better than expected.

Same. I generally enjoyed the first two films, although I never liked the idea of Tim Story directing them and didn't like the campy tone of either film. I'm aware of the weaknesses and stupid elements, but I like the characters and there was enough there for me to enjoy to overlook the stupid mess. I'm betting that'll be the case this time as well; the trailers suggest there will be.

I was unimpressed with the first two films, but I didn't hate them as much as most people here did. My main issue with them is that they did a terrible job with Dr Doom. They turned him into just another corporate bad guy. Yuck!

Otherwise, I felt they were C+ movies.

The first Hulk was a movie I hated and considered walking out of about half-way through. My buddy turned to me and said that we could save an hour and a half of our lives by leaving now. I stayed, but he was so right.

Avatar had an embargo until opening day but I believe the embargo was broke. I suspect it will be the same for this movie.

Hmm, I Googled it and looks like you're right. Hopefully this is Fox being as cautious as James Cameron was. :wishluck: But if it is, it'd be the exception, not the rule. :sorry:

I don't know the reason's Fox is doing this, but if they read the fansites, I can guess. With critics sinking Pixels and audiences not giving it a chance, Fox might have decided to be safe and let the movie speak for itself (instead of having the critics do the speaking for them.)

It does make one wonder though if the embargo on Avatar helped propel that movie. Would people have been inclined to see it if the reviews came in and they were lackluster?

This is not a GOOD sign.

:eek:

Fantastic Four Reviews Are Embargoed Until Release

http://furiousfanboys.com/2015/07/fantastic-four-reviews-are-embargoed-until-release/

On the bright side, maybe Marvel/Disney will be able to get the rights to the Fantastic Four back sooner than expected. :wishluck:

Another bright side is I have zero expectations for this FF movie.

Usually when I have zero expectations I end up liking the movie.

So I could be in for a surprise.

(thumbs u

I was unimpressed with the first two films, but I didn't hate them as much as most people here did. My main issue with them is that they did a terrible job with Dr Doom. They turned him into just another corporate bad guy. Yuck!

The first Hulk was a movie I hated and considered walking out of about half-way through. My buddy turned to me and said that we could save an hour and a half of our lives by leaving now. I stayed, but he was so right.

The first Hulk was a huge disappointment. Even today, it is hard to sit through it. Marvel provided consultation on that movie too. What were they thinking? :facepalm:

Does Marvel provide consultation on the Fox and Sony movies? Or do those studios just reach out to the comic creators themselves?

I thought the first FF movie was decent, especially for 2005 superhero standards.

The second one was ok.

I seen worst movies.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

The first Hulk was a huge disappointment. Even today, it is hard to sit through it. Marvel provided consultation on that movie too. What were they thinking? :facepalm:

Does Marvel provide consultation on the Fox and Sony movies? Or do those studios just reach out to the comic creators themselves?

I dont think either, necessarily. I believe creators have had input on the X-Men franchise but I can't remember anything said about assistance on any of the FF films, and though I'm probably mistaken, same with Spidey.

What would possess anyone to try to sit thru it again? :D

It's biggest problem was that it was an hour and a half story cut to almost three hours. It just dragged. There is a scene where they are going down in an elevator into some secret underground fortress that just goes on and on and on. I wanted to start screaming at the screen -- "We get it, its really deep in the ground!!"

If you're going to make a terrible movie, at least make it short. :D

What would possess anyone to try to sit thru it again? :D

The "HULK SMASH" scenes were amazing. I can't sit through the entire film, but the Hulk scenes made the movie worthwhile. I own and have several times re-watched that film, and every time I do it's not the whole film, it's the Hulk sequences. The rest of it was just OK for a one-time viewing...I wasn't bored, wasn't impressed, just absorbed being Hulk's girlfriend or Hulk's dad and creator just fine.

hepInGih.jpg

:baiting:

hepInGih.jpg

I don't know what that picture means, but I'm about a million miles away from hoping Fantastic Four fails. Been hoping for the opposite and remained hopeful for otherwise up until Fox embargoed the reviews.

hepInGih.jpg

I don't know what that picture means, but I'm about a million miles away from hoping Fantastic Four fails. Been hoping for the opposite and remained hopeful for otherwise up until Fox embargoed the reviews.

You missed the :baiting: , though it did seem like you were banging the fail drum rather fast.