• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Saw this movie tonight, went with 2 friends.

I will say I didn't hate it, but overall it had to many things about it that I didn't like. I do think it was better than the two previous FF films which were horrible in my opinion.

The worst part of the new film for me is Dr. Doom. He is just so poorly executed that he brings down the rest of the film.

They need to read FF annual 2, and put that into the movies. The character is very intelligent with a massive ego, a superiority complex. Bring that into the character and into the film please, Victor would never go get drunk and then "pal around with the guys" and teleport to some other dimension. Doom would construct his suit in a desire to show that he is superior to Reed. Reed designed this machine? Watch what I create! And he would implement some of the knowledge from his Mother. He also could care less about some prattling female. I don't get why Fox always wants to include the drama of the love triangle with Reed - Sue - Victor. Leave that to the future movie when they finally do a different villain - the Submariner.

Back to Doom...I don't know what that was in the movie... it just wasn't Dr. Doom. That said, it does fit well into some horror movie, like the Thing. I think it is like the Doom character was infected with some alien dna or something and when he was brought back to earth it was unleashed. Very much a horror movie. If you don't think of the character as Dr. Doom it is passable.

The positives:

-The Thing looked great.

-I liked Sue, that she added some intellectual value to the team is a plus, she certainly isn't taking off her clothes to be invisible and then re-appearing in front of everyone on the street so she can appear on TMZ ( SO CHEEZY ).

-In the middle when they all first get their "powers" it felt like a horror / Sci Fi movie, sort of had a Prometheus feel and I say I liked it and wished that vibe continued but it was abandoned.

I see no need to go over the negatives, there is to many and they have been previously discussed.

I think I will give it a 3 out of 10.

This is either a negotiation ploy or Fox assuming it can learn from the first movie. But right now, there are plans for a sequel.

HITFIX: Here's the strangest footnote to the entire Josh Trank/'Fantastic Four' story

Everything I've heard would indicate that the studio will move forward with a "Fantastic Four" sequel. It may not make that original 2017 date, but they're definitely planning to make it. The next filmmaker in is going to start from a difficult position, and they're going to have to work hard to create their own movie while starting with some of Trank's choices intact. For better or worse, Trank was given room to define these characters, and his signature will remain on the next film no matter who writes and directs it.

In case anyone is assuming the writer doesn't know what he's talking about, here is how comicbookmovie.com refers to his source access.

Before you doubt this claim, these comments come from the same person who revealed that Marvel and Sony were talking about making a deal for Spider-Man.

He also points out in this article how Fox was known to go out of its way to support Josh Trank creatively on leading this film.

Josh Trank may have fired off his disgruntled Tweet late Thursday night, but there are things about what he said that don't sit right with me. Trank had the studio's support on this film far longer than would seem justified because Fox was so very aware of how it would look if they pushed the young filmmaker off of his movie. They made him work for the greenlight before they decided to go ahead with the movie, and whatever Trank wants to say about how he was handled, he was the one who directed the film. The studio wasn't making daily changes or forcing him to shoot material he didn't help create. They were doing everything they could to keep him on schedule and on budget, and they surrounded him with crew that they trusted. They wanted this film to work. Even when things weren't working, the studio still worked to find a way to have Trank solve those problems.

I had no idea at one point Fox was going to kill this movie, it was going to badly.

I say get a different writer, forget about Doom, do the whole Atlantis/Namor thing in the next movie, which also lets them delve into the Reed/Sue relationship which was just hinted at in the 1st movie. That's your external conflict. Have Reed dealing with his guilt over Ben's transformation as the internal conflict. Have Reed continue to fiddle with the negative zone in an attempt to fix ben and by the end of the second movie he tries to harness the negative zone to change Ben back but fails. Little does he know that his latest experiement has left the door open to the negative zone and a being that existed in that dimension who now will follow the breadcrumbs back from the negative zone to Earth to be the big conflict in the sequel. the being? Galactus. I know that doesnt jive with the Comic book origins of Galactus, but it ties every thing together nicely.

3rd movie is F4 vs Galactus, for big external conflict. And No swirling cloud. Big giant Kirby-esque Galactus destroying things. Reed opens the movie noticing the power siphoning of earth into the negative zone, figures out how to disrupt it in the first act, which only leads to Galactus coming thru the portal to do it in person. Reed can try to recruit Doom to help him defeat Galactus and have that ego battle as the internal conflict, because in the end Reed has to ask for Sue's help to win over Doom to get his help in defeating Galactus.

You could even take a dig at DC comics by slotting your F4 movie with Namor to come out the same time as DC's Aquaman movie (2018) three years should be enough time for people to forgive the current movies woes, and let Miles Teller look more like Reed Richard the man than Reed Richard, angsty teen.

and seriously who ever writes the next movie have them tone down the whole "we're killing the earth" rhetoric. We know whats going on, we go to movies to escape reality, not to remember it. If we want to watch more about climate change and the earth we'll rewatch An Inconvenient Truth.

Can't do Namor. They dont' have the rights. The rights for Namor are tied up between Marvel & Universal.

Unfortunately, yes.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?

Can't do Namor. They dont' have the rights. The rights for Namor are tied up between Marvel & Universal.

.. back to the drawing board.

When I watched the movie last week I had a little moment of hope that they might tease Galactus's presence in the Negative Zone (I will never call it Planet Zero or whatever they said).

I cant imagine the shortsighted-ness in negotiating F4 rights without trying to get Namor in the mix.

And even if they did, using Namor at that point would seem to the average moviegoer that Marvel was just copying Aquaman.

When I watched the movie last week I had a little moment of hope that they might tease Galactus's presence in the Negative Zone (I will never call it Planet Zero or whatever they said).

I cant imagine the shortsighted-ness in negotiating F4 rights without trying to get Namor in the mix.

Or they can do something like Anhilus coming out of the Negative Zone. And his presence, in conjunction with the energy of the Negative Zone gate & all that other stuff, it alerts Galactus (somewhere on the far side of the galaxy or something) to Earth's advancements & "ripening" on a technological level.

Or was that the plot of FF2? I don't remember. I remember that it was a halfway decent plot idea that was horribly executed. But I don't remember what it was.

Or they can do something like Anhilus coming out of the Negative Zone. And his presence, in conjunction with the energy of the Negative Zone gate & all that other stuff, it alerts Galactus (somewhere on the far side of the galaxy or something) to Earth's advancements & "ripening" on a technological level.

Or was that the plot of FF2? I don't remember. I remember that it was a halfway decent plot idea that was horribly executed. But I don't remember what it was.

yeah I dont remember FF2, might need to rewatch it just to remember the plot points.

The problem is if they do anything "cosmic" then it gets compared to Guardians of the Galaxy, which will surely outshine it.

Marvel doing Guardians was a great clockblock to DC trying to do anything cosmic. I remember back when GotG was being rumored and everyone thought it was s silly idea with no fan base, but in terms of positioning it was brilliant

yeah I dont remember FF2, might need to rewatch it just to remember the plot points.

The problem is if they do anything "cosmic" then it gets compared to Guardians of the Galaxy, which will surely outshine it.

Marvel doing Guardians was a great clockblock to DC trying to do anything cosmic. I remember back when GotG was being rumored and everyone thought it was s silly idea with no fan base, but in terms of positioning it was brilliant

FF2 had a really nice start, as I rewatched it recently just to remind myself if it was that bad or not. Where it came off the rails is with the cloud Galactus (no surprise there), Doctor Doom being rammed back into the story without any real purpose than appearance, and Galactus being 'destroyed' in the end by Silver Surfer's surfboard.

As far as Marvel having the lockdown on space movies in the comic book universe, I think if a decent production is offered up (Legion of Super-Heroes is in the works, in addition to Green Lantern Corps) there is always room for more films in this category. I'm not sure anyone can just lock up a genre because they did it right first.

Marvel doing Guardians was a great clockblock to DC trying to do anything cosmic...

And yet, DC has the raw material for (potentially) the greatest cinematic "cosmic comic book" saga ever: Jack Kirby's "Fourth World".

Not that they wouldn't screw it up and release a bunch of homogenized, focused-group, CGI-bloated tat in the end. But the resources are there: big ideas, epic scope, iconic/archetypal heroes (and villains!), Blakean vision, Shakespearean pathos and intrigue. And ACTION, ACTION, ACTION!

Done right, it would destroy the competition, and make the "cosmic" GotG look like just another bog standard cartoon punch-up.

The more it's posted here, the more I just shake my head at the silly frivolous changes Fox made for no apparent reason.

Why call it "Planet Zero" instead of the "Negative Zone?" I mean, really? What improvement does THAT change make that they just HAD to make it?

Twits.

Marvel doing Guardians was a great clockblock to DC trying to do anything cosmic...

And yet, DC has the raw material for (potentially) the greatest cinematic "cosmic comic book" saga ever: Jack Kirby's "Fourth World".

Not that they wouldn't screw it up and release a bunch of homogenized, focused-group, CGI-bloated tat in the end. But the resources are there: big ideas, epic scope, iconic/archetypal heroes (and villains!), Blakean vision, Shakespearean pathos and intrigue. And ACTION, ACTION, ACTION!

Done right, it would destroy the competition, and make the "cosmic" GotG look like just another bog standard cartoon punch-up.

I will go record here and say DC will not make a superhero movie as bad as this Fantastic Four reboot.

Your idea of Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" is great.

If DC could pull that off it would be something.

After watching this FF debacle I am going to give DC Comics much more respect with their movies.

They could be a big sleeper here.

Their serious angle to movies could compliment Marvel`s fun movies very well.

The more it's posted here, the more I just shake my head at the silly frivolous changes Fox made for no apparent reason.

Why call it "Planet Zero" instead of the "Negative Zone?" I mean, really? What improvement does THAT change make that they just HAD to make it?

Twits.

they seemed to put the emphasis on the fact that they found a PLANET, so I could see some Exec sending a note saying "why is this planet called the negative zone? Call it planet something"

Twits.

Agreed 100 percent!

What happened here was Trank tried to get his vision over Jack and Stan`s.

I imagine he said something like this "We will modernize it, and make it PC.

We will show them the correct way FF should be done!" (Paraphrasing now).

Instead it backfired, and became a historic failure of biblical proportions.

Trank`s vision is now laughed at and ridiculed.

The positive thing that comes out of this is I don`t think a movie studio will ever be this stupid again with Marvel or DC superheroes.

Is this still the case for sure? I thought I read about them reverting & then just checked wikipedia. According to them, the rights are with Marvel, but they're still working out odds and ends.

Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter stated in May 2014 that Marvel now has the rights for Namor. On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal or Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

Is this still the case for sure? I thought I read about them reverting & then just checked wikipedia. According to them, the rights are with Marvel, but they're still working out odds and ends.

Borys Kit of The Hollywood Reporter stated in May 2014 that Marvel now has the rights for Namor. On June 3, 2014, Kit confirmed that Marvel, not Universal now has the Namor film rights. On July 18, 2014, Feige told IGN in an interview that the Namor film rights are not with Universal or Legendary Pictures, but he explained there are a number of contracts and deals that need to be sorted out.

Marvel film & TV rights shell game - who owns what?

A lot of people complain about Zack Snyder's Watchmen, but I thought it was one of the best looking classic superhero movies ever made.

For those who love the idea of real costumes and grand visions, it's a beautiful movie...

I just imagine, if DC said, here's the Fourth World.... make it work, what the director of 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch could do with all of that....

Twits.

Because, as they showed from the very start, they have a nose up in the air attitude toward comic geeks. They wanted 'cool' and something 'twilighty'.

Twits is right, screw Fox, they got what they deserved.

A lot of people complain about Zack Snyder's Watchmen, but I thought it was one of the best looking classic superhero movies ever made.

For those who love the idea of real costumes and grand visions, it's a beautiful movie...

I just imagine, if DC said, here's the Fourth World.... make it work, what the director of 300, Watchmen, and Sucker Punch could do with all of that....

Suckerpunch might have looked ok but it was a HORRIBLE -script, and wasnt well directed either. The visuals were interesting, but nothing else about that movie would make me want to hand Snyder a property to go write a -script and create a world. He's better off letting someone else do that part (a'la watchmen)