• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

So how is Reed's disappearance & survival any more ludicrous than a similar point in the Dark Knight Rises?

You know, where Bruce magically heals his broken back with a rope, & hitchhikes -- presumably from the Middle East, sans money or more than the clothes on his back -- across the dessert and back into a besieged and heavily-guarded Gotham?

There's a reason TDKR isn't considered the best of the Nolan trilogy, and what you explained was one of them. :facepalm:

Don't try to defend €rapy writing with more €rapy writing. :baiting:

Expect a halfassed X-Men/Fantastic 4 movie in the near future.

Or...this was the shot across the bow all these studios needed to see in order to treat these productions much more serious. Otherwise, they may assume it's a given any comic book movie will lead to nerds flocking to these films to support their beloved characters, no matter how weak the story is or how nutty the characters look.

I wouldn't assume from the disappointment this movie tossed our way everything from the X-Franchise is now also going to bomb. I think enough of those movies have been winners financially and content-wise.

Yeah -- it's hard for me to understand the blanket hate of Fox as a studio when 4 out of their 5 X-Men films have been really good.

And Deadpool looks good as well.

Heat of the moment. Fantastic Four fans feel letdown after waiting three years for this movie to finally come together, and the end result was so far off the mark they feel betrayed.

Between the Entertainment Weekly investigation and the Collider research, Fox very much deserves the black eye it will have for a long while. But point the betrayal towards the right source, and not the whole of an entire studio.

Yeah -- it's hard for me to understand the blanket hate of Fox as a studio when 4 out of their 5 X-Men films have been really good.

And Deadpool looks good as well.

Heat of the moment. Fantastic Four fans feel letdown after waiting three years for this movie to finally come together, and the end result was so far off the mark they feel betrayed.

Between the Entertainment Weekly investigation and the Collider research, Fox very much deserves the black eye it will have for a long while. But point the betrayal towards the right source, and not the whole of an entire studio.

That's all dependent upon them finding the right director, which in the cases being referred to is Bryan Singer for three of the X-Men films and Matthew Vaughn for First Class. If they don't draw a good director, the films have mostly sucked, with Elektra being the height of the suckage. They lost my respect back in 2004 when they hired Tim Story to do the two FF films and never fully gained it back, and they just lost it completely again. Kevin Feige and the gang seem to be able to guide directors rather effectively no matter who it is.

The main problem is that both Fox and Sony execs and marketing putzes who know NOTHING about comics frequently determine content for their Marvel films. That may or may not be a formula for making more money, but without a doubt it's a formula for a potentially film. :eek:

That's all dependent upon them finding the right director, which in the cases being referred to is Bryan Singer for three of the X-Men films and Matthew Vaughn for First Class. If they don't draw a good director, the films have mostly sucked, with Elektra being the height of the suckage. They lost my respect back in 2004 when they hired Tim Story to do the two FF films and never fully gained it back, and they just lost it completely again. Kevin Feige and the gang seem to be able to guide directors rather effectively no matter who it is.

The main problem is that both Fox and Sony execs and marketing putzes frequently determine content for the films. That may or may not be a formula for making more money, but without a doubt it's a formula for a potentially film. :eek:

Yeah, I totally get it how mishandled a movie can be in the wrong hands. This may be what the overall industry needed to say 'This will take effort on your part to get customer money'.

There's no free ride!

I suspect that right now they're circling the wagons and trying to make the best of what limited run this movie has. No sense in throwing in the towel while it's still in theaters....

There will definitely be another movie due to the fact they need to put one out at some point to retain the rights.

They've got another 10 years now, so...

I suspect that right now they're circling the wagons and trying to make the best of what limited run this movie has. No sense in throwing in the towel while it's still in theaters....

There will definitely be another movie due to the fact they need to put one out at some point to retain the rights.

Plus Fox and Marvel are bitter, bitter enemies now. Marvel isn't getting back anything for free from now on, and Fox will get nothing except a complete lack of cooperation from Marvel. Feige and the Fox execs have been in a state of all-out war for a few years now following various disagreements when they were negotiating over the Daredevil rights. Fox won't let Marvel use the word "mutant" in its films, Marvel killed off Wolverine in the comics last year in what some think is a move to do what it can to de-value the character, Marvel has expressly forbidden its writers from creating new mutant characters in the comics, and Marvel refuses to let ANYBODY create toys based upon Fox's films, including themselves.

Plus Fox and Marvel are bitter, bitter enemies now. Marvel isn't getting back anything for free from now on, and Fox will get nothing except a complete lack of cooperation from Marvel. Feige and the Fox execs have been in a state of all-out war for a few years now following various disagreements when they were negotiating over the Daredevil rights. Fox won't let Marvel use the word "mutant" in its films, Marvel killed off Wolverine in the comics last year in what some think is a move to do what it can to de-value the character, Marvel has expressly forbidden its writers from creating new mutant characters in the comics, and Marvel refuses to let ANYBODY create toys based upon Fox's films, including themselves.

It looks bad.

But you never know...

Money or someone getting fired would easily change it all. I dunno who's pissed at who, so it's tough to even say who at Fox Feige is pissed at.

Whoever was involved in the Daredevil negotiations where they had a movie lined up, a director already crafting direction and negotiations to extend the rights. That's most probably where it is.

Then on the Marvel side, whoever was negotiating for Silver Surfer and Galactus that then pulled back the Daredevil movie rights that led to a breakoff in any further negotiations. That also had a hand in the hard feelings. Justified or not.

Can't believe how much the contract gives to Fox. Apparently any new mutant that Marvel creates ends up being theirs in the films. I know the Darwin character that appeared in X-Men: First Class was first created long after Fox first got their contract and even long after the first X-Men film. Because of that, I can see why Marvel might tell the writers to stop creating new characters, but sheesh, can they do that forever? Who's going to win this dumb game of chicken? :slapfight:

Fox is trying to get the TV rights of the X-Men from Marvel.

I think Marvel should ask for the F4 film rights and fair use of the X-Men franchise in exchange for the TV rights or no deal.

If Fox doesn't have those rights, who has them? Marvel ran that "Mutant X" show back in the early 2000s, and Fox threatened them with a lawsuit simply for using the word "mutant." So neither one of them can do a television show right now? That's messed up. :makepoint:

I think Marvel should ask for the F4 film rights and fair use of the X-Men franchise in exchange for the TV rights or no deal.

^^

If Fox doesn't have those rights, who has them? Marvel ran that "Mutant X" show back in the early 2000s, and Fox threatened them with a lawsuit simply for using the word "mutant." So neither one of them can do a television show right now? That's messed up. :makepoint:

I remember FOX suing, but I thought that suit got tossed out & that's when the "FOX doesn't have the tv rights" thing got settled?

^^

Been suggesting something similar. Marvel allows FOX to add the "and live-action TV rights" to their X-Men contract. FOX agrees to a mutual termination of the FF rights contract. This gives Marvel back not only the FF, but Galactus, Doom, Surfer, Kang, Immortus, Anhilus and a few other big cosmic & ancient-being type characters. And a good number of the cool baddies. Not to mention, it also cleans up any potential lawsuits or gray area when it comes to the use of the Skrulls/Super-Skrull.

I remember FOX suing, but I thought that suit got tossed out & that's when the "FOX doesn't have the tv rights" thing got settled?

Wikipedia says that Marvel settled.

If Marvel thought they owned the rights, you'd think they'd just outright create an X-Men television show instead of doing that dumb Mutant X clone.