• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

Aren't the crimes that Marvel comics has committed against the FF greater than anything that's happened in this movie?

What I don't get though: Reed Richards, Sue, and their daughter are major players in Secret Wars. I'm not sure how they come out of Secret Wars without a title...

Ben Grimm is in the Guardians of the Galaxy (fact)

Human Torch is in the Inhumans (fact)

Reed Richards is dead (guess)

Evil Reed Richards has the Hulk's body (guess)

Sue Richards is in the... uh.... I forgot.... I think she's also joining another team....

It all paves the way for this movie to fail miserably, Fox to sell the rights back to Marvel, Reed shows back up in the comic, the team gets back together, a new #1 sells huge numbers, and then Marvel makes the Galactus trilogy movie that we've all been waiting for.

I think its fair to say this is what marvel is hoping for...

I suspect as well

I'm sure there are stock market reasons involved somewhere.

Apparently Fox Wants Bryan Singer To Direct FANTASTIC FOUR 2 En Route To X-MEN Crossover

It seems 20th Century Fox is hoping to replicate the massive success Bryan Singer has had with his X-Men movies and hand the director the reigns of the Fantastic Four franchise after Josh Trank's first rebooted instalment debuts this August. At least, that's what This Is Infamous has heard. According to the site, the plan is to basically make Singer the Don of their superhero cinematic universe, with an eye to him helming an X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover in 2018 after at least one more solo Fantastic Four flick. Apparently Fox hopes both he and producer Simon Kinberg can do for them something similar to what Kevin Feige has been able to achieve for Marvel.

Though the studio is reportedly not as pleased with Trank's first movie as we might have been led to believe, they still see it as a "decent introduction to the new direction its characters will be taking" and are looking for a distinct vision" to take things to the next level.

Screams like desperation on Fox's part. They know they have a stinker on their hands and think having an immediate teem up with the x-men will save the license for them and they may be right.

Screams like desperation on Fox's part. They know they have a stinker on their hands and think having an immediate teem up with the x-men will save the license for them and they may be right.

I was waiting for you to dive on that one.

I was waiting for you to dive on that one.

Same here lol

Here's MY Box Office Mojo

As a chart showing the importance of Domestic Numbers vs Foreign numbers, it gives 75% of the Domestic Gross + 25% of the Foreign Gross (minus) the Budget to give the Final Value Difference.

This would explain whyX-Men First Class was perceived as a much more successful film than Last Stand, even though Last Stand did $100MIL more in overall revenue.

It also explains why DOFP was considered such a big hit, when Domestically it just made about $30MIL over it's budget, but overall had the highest net difference.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%209.05.43%20PM_zpsqj1dj345.png

As a chart showing the importance of Domestic Numbers vs Foreign numbers, it gives 75% of the Domestic Gross + 25% of the Foreign Gross (minus) the Budget to give the Final Value Difference.

This would explain whyX-Men First Class was perceived as a much more successful film than Last Stand, even though Last Stand did $100MIL more in overall revenue.

It also explains why DOFP was considered such a big hit, when Domestically it just made about $30MIL over it's budget, but overall had the highest net difference.

Unfortunately, this math is based on assumptions when it comes to the foreign box office.

1) All foreign markets take the same cut.

2) That cut is 75% of the local gross.

3) Every studio only gets 25% of the take, no matter who they are.

That is why I avoid making those leaps. There is nothing officially from any studio yet that outlines this is the foreign box office common model. Even the article that was posted here a while back that discussed how box office dollars are not all equal globally referenced its own research paper as its source of truth.

Aren't the crimes that Marvel comics has committed against the FF greater than anything that's happened in this movie?

What I don't get though: Reed Richards, Sue, and their daughter are major players in Secret Wars. I'm not sure how they come out of Secret Wars without a title...

Sue Richards is in the... uh.... I forgot.... I think she's also joining another team....

It all paves the way for this movie to fail miserably, Fox to sell the rights back to Marvel, Reed shows back up in the comic, the team gets back together, a new #1 sells huge numbers, and then Marvel makes the Galactus trilogy movie that we've all been waiting for.

I'm not sure Evil Reed needs a new body...

Isn't Reed part of The Illuminati?

Unfortunately, this math is based on assumptions when it comes to the foreign box office.

1) All foreign markets take the same cut.

2) That cut is 75% of the local gross.

3) Every studio only gets 25% of the take, no matter who they are.

That is why I avoid making those leaps. There is nothing officially from any studio yet that outlines this is the foreign box office common model. Even the article that was posted here a while back that discussed how box office dollars are not all equal globally referenced its own research paper as its source of truth.

domestic cut is roughly 55%. this can be verified if you analyze the financial statements of the movie theaters themselves. carmike files financial statements. it's pretty straightforward. deadline has a formula they used to analyze the top 20 movies last year. IIRC, the studio cut of china is 25% and other int'l is 45%. they also have formulas for domestic and int'l home video revenue. i don't believe they are pulling the #'s out of their rectums, so it's a pretty good gauge of profitability.

Edited by paperheart

domestic cut is roughly 55%. this can be verified if you analyze the financial statements of the movie theaters themselves. carmike files financial statements. it's pretty straightforward. deadline has a formula they used to analyze the top 20 movies last year. IIRC, the studio cut of china is 25% and other int'l is 45%. they also have formulas for domestic and int'l home video revenue. i don't believe they are pulling the #'s out of their rectums, so it's a pretty good gauge of profitability.

Domestic is straightforward. That's not the box office market I was saying has assumptions associated. It's the international market that can have a wider variance, depending on what agreement a studio worked out for itself based on volume of movies it can provide and the forecast of attendance a region can state is its bargaining strength. Assuming the China box office share and the Philipines box office share are the same, or that an extensive movie provider like Disney compared to a lower volume studio have the same bargaining power, are assumptions. I'm not sure those assumptions can be easily proven like the domestic market.

Plus, with the foreign box office combined having such a larger impact on a movie's final revenue and profit, taking out a large portion based on these assumptions can impact the analysis results. Especially for those movies achieving higher sales at the foreign box office.

If we look at DC and Marvel movies since 2012, the average domestic box office has been 36.1% while the international market has contributed 63.9% of overall results.

3ecgUUR.png

Yet the assumption is in the much larger international market, the studios have not figured out how to make that part of their revenue run more profitable. All they make is 25% of the overall take across the board. Which then a large-scale cut comes out of that because they also must eat 100% of the local marketing in those areas.

I'm not sure Evil Reed needs a new body...

Isn't Reed part of The Illuminati?

Evil Reed will be the new Marvel Universe's greatest villain. In the Hulk's body, he'll be virtually unstoppable.