• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four from Fox Studios (8/7/15)
1 1

3,245 posts in this topic

I think if we were all being honest and not letting our personal interests get in the way we would all agree that Marvel has had it's share of hits as well as misses (enjoyable movies and not blockbuster as we all know box office does not equal critical success)

If your first experience with the Fantastic Four was with the Ultimate comic series, then you probably will enjoy this movie. But in general the Fantastic Four have an older fan base and I don't see many of those fans excited for this release.

can't the same be said of all the other movie franchises?

I think if we were all being honest and not letting our personal interests get in the way we would all agree that Marvel has had it's share of hits as well as misses (enjoyable movies and not blockbuster as we all know box office does not equal critical success)

I'm not sure what you mean by personal interests. Book speculation or am I missing some other angle?

Personally, I don't care whether a movie does well or not (you can quote me on that).

I'm just judging this movie by how I feel about the PR, the trailers and what I know about who is involved. It's just not 'pulling me in'.

Having said that, Ant-Man is not pulling me in either but I'd see it anyway, only because I have more invested in Marvel's movies. And when I say invested, I'm not talking about money. I mean emotionally and time wise. I really dig the universe they are building and am looking forward to seeing it unfold.

I don't have that same pull towards FF because I have nothing invested in it. It's a one off kind of like Super 8. But having said all that, unless I get the feeling it's a 2 out of 10, I'll probably see it, as I'm a lifelong fan of the FF.

Fantastic Four comic book wise haven't been relevant since the 80's. Marvel reinvented most of its other movie franchises through the books. Avengers, Guardians and Iron Man all received huge pushes throughout much of the last decade.

Fantastic Four fans don't have much to cling to in print other than the great Kirby/Lee run. Which makes movies like this new one seem so awkward.

Fantastic Four fans don't have much to cling to in print other than the great Kirby/Lee run. Which makes movies like this new one seem so awkward.

*ahem*

John. Freakin'. Byrne.

I put Byrne's run just under Lee/Kirby's FF and Lee/Ditko/Romita's ASM run for all-time greatness.

More than Miller's DD, Simonson's Thor, Mignola's Hellboy, McFarlane's ASM or whatever else you want to throw at me.

Byrne FF is simply awesome.

I'm not sure what you mean by personal interests. Book speculation or am I missing some other angle?

Personally, I don't care whether a movie does well or not (you can quote me on that).

I'm just judging this movie by how I feel about the PR, the trailers and what I know about who is involved. It's just not 'pulling me in'.

Having said that, Ant-Man is not pulling me in either but I'd see it anyway, only because I have more invested in Marvel's movies. And when I say invested, I'm not talking about money. I mean emotionally and time wise. I really dig the universe they are building and am looking forward to seeing it unfold.

I don't have that same pull towards FF because I have nothing invested in it. It's a one off kind of like Super 8. But having said all that, unless I get the feeling it's a 2 out of 10, I'll probably see it, as I'm a lifelong fan of the FF.

I believe you when you say that. However there is a general interest to see this movie fail so Marvel can get the rights back. It wouldn't matter what they did, when the decision was made to make this movie, people instantly disagreed with it as the clock for marvel rights started back up.

Whether it's tied in key comics or stock ownership, many folks have their personal reasons for wanting this to fail.

I believe Chip has a lot of affection for this comic, but other folks just love to beat a dead horse :shrug:

Furthermore Marvel/Disney are the biggest reasons why Fox/Sony have gone with the Ultimate line of comics for their movies.

They did it with Avengers (Ultimates), you think Fox/Sony came up with this idea themselves? They are copying Marvel but probably not doing it the right way (too much Ultimate line instead of a mix aka borrow the best of both worlds)

I really don't care one way or another. I said it before, I'm just happy these movies are being made.

I agree Roy, everyone should just go to the theatre, get some popcorn (don't sneak in those chips) and enjoy the show.

*ahem*

John. Freakin'. Byrne.

I put Byrne's run just under Lee/Kirby's FF and Lee/Ditko/Romita's ASM run for all-time greatness.

More than Miller's DD, Simonson's Thor, Mignola's Hellboy, McFarlane's ASM or whatever else you want to throw at me.

I love the Byrne run as well, that is why I said they have not been relevant since the 80's.

I believe Chip has a lot of affection for this comic...

I appreciate you stating and recognizing that, Hec.

The Fantastic Four got me into comics in the first place. They remain my favorite comic book characters, their villains are my favorites (Doom, Galactus), and I re-read both runs (Lee/Kirby and Byrne) along with a lot of my TPBs (like the Simonson run and the Perez Galactus/Sphinx run) every year. I just want to see that kind of cosmic grandeur and personality interaction on the screen with the same characters I grew up with.

This movie isn't it. Now, it might be a great movie in its own right...and that would be the only way I'll see it (eventually). That depends on how it's received by people I trust and know. I won't pay money and support the film with the direction they've taken and the effort they've made, regardless. I'd watch it with a free Redbox rental or on Netflix.

*ahem*

John. Freakin'. Byrne.

I love the Byrne run as well, that is why I said they have not been relevant since the 80's.

Nope... Lee/Kirby run, then up and down until Byrne, a deep dip, then some highlights (Simonson), A mixed bag with Heroes Reborn, then pre-Civil War was good but not great, Civil War sucked, then everything after that has been extremely high quality.

However there is a general interest to see this movie fail so Marvel can get the rights back. It wouldn't matter what they did, when the decision was made to make this movie, people instantly disagreed with it as the clock for marvel rights started back up.

Whether it's tied in key comics or stock ownership, many folks have their personal reasons for wanting this to fail.

I forgot about the stocks angle. doh!

I believe you when you say that. However there is a general interest to see this movie fail so Marvel can get the rights back. It wouldn't matter what they did, when the decision was made to make this movie, people instantly disagreed with it as the clock for marvel rights started back up.

I don't have an interest either way.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see FOX make a great movie... this one isn't feeling like that to me.

And THAT is what angers me. That they create something that is a waste of time. It shouldn't be 'let's make as many superhero movies as we can before people get tired of them'; it should be 'Let's make the best superhero movies we can so people DON'T get tired of them.' And every step of the way I disagreed with what they were doing on this one. (shrug)

Seriously, I don't think there's as much of an issue with 'people wanting it to fail' as there is with 'people who will buy any superhero garbage a studio will put out'.

I mean really.... it's been that way with the actual comics themselves for decades.

I believe Chip has a lot of affection for this comic, but other folks just love to beat a dead horse :shrug:

They keep putting out trailers and people keep commenting, I'm likely to throw my 2 cents in. Why is it the negative opinion's are the only one's beating a dead horse?

Furthermore Marvel/Disney are the biggest reasons why Fox/Sony have gone with the Ultimate line of comics for their movies.

They did it with Avengers (Ultimates), you think Fox/Sony came up with this idea themselves? They are copying Marvel but probably not doing it the right way (too much Ultimate line instead of a mix aka borrow the best of both worlds)

And as Roy said, people screamed to high heaven over those changes, until they started seeing the trailers and getting a positive vibe about the movie and then SEEING the movie and saying, "Ok, Marvel did ok."

Right now, FF doesn't have the luxury of:

a) Anyone SEEING the movie

b) Having a trailer that isn't negatively critiqued to high heaven

or

c) justification for the changes

I posted in the Antman thread that I saw a very good trailer today at that movie, much better than any I've seen so far. I did make me want to go see the movie, where before I was waiting for Netflix.

My biggest problem is, I think of Reed with gray sideburns,so I always thought of him as a little more mature, maybe in his 30's at least... in this, he's a kid.

there is with 'people who will buy any superhero garbage a studio will put out'.

I mean really.... it's been that way with the actual comics themselves for decades.

This is how I feel about every Marvel movie being made. It doesn't matter what they do as long as that Marvel/Disney logo is on it.

They keep putting out trailers and people keep commenting, I'm likely to throw my 2 cents in. Why is it the negative opinion's are the only one's beating a dead horse?

I guess from my perspective, whenever there are a new set of posts in this thread, the majority of them say the same thing that they said the day before. The trailer sucks, the movie sucks, Trank sucks etc. I don't think anyone likes it enough for me to say the opposite. "Stop beating the dead horse for liking this movie too much" While I agree some decisions have raised an eyebrow, the movie does still interest me. Especially because it's completely different. Maybe I'm weird that way but I still want to see this. Can it be that bad?

I'm not sure how to answer your last point, so I don't have a counter point to that. Uncle?

I posted in the Antman thread that I saw a very good trailer today at that movie, much better than any I've seen so far. I did make me want to go see the movie, where before I was waiting for Netflix.

My biggest problem is, I think of Reed with gray sideburns,so I always thought of him as a little more mature, maybe in his 30's at least... in this, he's a kid.

I wonder if it may be the excessive changes made to the overall characters and storyline that seems to really turn traditional fans of the series off from this movie.

- Johnny isn't Caucasian

- Sue is adopted

- Reed is so young compared to the team

- The Things eyebrows and lack of pants (I think that is all the concerns)

- Doctor Doom's plastic mask look (at least from very brief film spots)

- Ben may not speak with a gravelly voice

Rather than a few changes, it ended up so much it is disturbing to that portion of the potential viewers.

$_35.JPG