• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #1 What did I buy when I was 13?

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

New to forum. I have a collection that I put together in my youth, most of which I am going to sell. Confused as heck about the process. Back when I bout these, things were "Mint" . . . No number grades. Needless to say I don't have a practiced eye for grading. I'm sure I'll have a few questions, but the first is this . . . What do you think?

143770.jpg.6fb3636bf74ee872c20594fe022cd2ef.jpg

143771.jpg.f2a0f7ab870f31c221a87f4e9c420456.jpg

143772.jpg.4785ac328dd063c8e24b9b9f6785f4b8.jpg

143773.jpg.62aec382e3d824be02c5ce91388b4acb.jpg

hi, welcome to the boards....amazing book btw. Do you have a scanner by any chance? That would really help! Or at least a decent camera? There are many awesome, experienced people on here that would love to help, but better pictures are a must! :)

hi, welcome to the boards....amazing book btw. Do you have a scanner by any chance? That would really help! Or at least a decent camera? There are many awesome, experienced people on here that would love to help, but better pictures are a must! :)

+1

People will have fun giving their thoughts on a choice book like this, but better pics are needed for that. Judging from digital images is tricky already, so providing the best pics you can will help a lot.

And welcome to the boards...looking forward to what else you share! :)

And very warm welcome to the boards! :foryou:

I would reiterate the comments that the previous boardies have made regarding better scans.

Truly awesome book from what I have seen in the pics provided. I certainly look forward to viewing this book and many of your others from a scanner! (thumbs u

First off thanks to all who have responded.

Since I've already established how clueless I am here, what type of scanner works best. Obviously, I don't want to use one from work that requires you to feed the original through.

On the book. There is no water damage. I bought this for $200 on the lay away plan, brought it home, read it and put it in mylar stored in a long box for the last 30 years.

I have about 1500 books, most of which are no remarkable, but some good stuff which I will definitly post.

First off thanks to all who have responded.

Since I've already established how clueless I am here, what type of scanner works best. Obviously, I don't want to use one from work that requires you to feed the original through.

On the book. There is no water damage. I bought this for $200 on the lay away plan, brought it home, read it and put it in mylar stored in a long box for the last 30 years.

I have about 1500 books, most of which are no remarkable, but some good stuff which I will definitly post.

If your books are all "raw" which it seems they are, then I'd look for a typical flatbed scanner you might acquire from Office Depot or the like. If you're not familiar with that term "raw" (and as I'd left the hobby and returned only to find this whole CGC slab thing, raw was new to me, too), it simply means books that are not slabbed and graded by a third-party service such as CGC.

People who like to scan their slabbed comics often go for a fancy legal size scanner with different imaging technology, but you likely don't need that.

Either way, you can probably find one cheap on ebay. I found a used "fancy" one as noted above for about $60. Was a great bargain compared to what it'd cost new to buy it.

I also find that imgur.com is a very simple way to host your scanned images. It even provides you the code for posting on a site like this. A lot of folks use photobucket, too, but I find it rather clunky.

I only joined the board myself very recently, and I am in a similar situation as you, with lots of books from earlier collecting days. David's scanner advice is right on target.

Since my own scanner broke, I have also used my little Nikon Coolpix to good effect as well. So if you have a similar inexpensive digital camera you might try this: Throw a couple of 150 watt bulbs on the book; put the camera on "Macro" (Close-up) mode; set White Balance to Incandescent; with NO Flash. Experiment with placement of lights to reduce glare and with settings if yours are different. That's my two cents, if you find it helpful.

I also concur with using Imgur as a hosting site. It's free and reliable.