• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got my orders from Mile High Comics

20 posts in this topic

I finally received my orders from Mile High Comics last week.

I had decided to give them another shot, since they were having their keyword sale and their regular sales combined. I basically order about 30 Captain America books, about 40 Iron Mans, and about 40 Daredevils to fill up my runs with stuff from the late 80s and early 90s. Most of these comics were between 70 cents and $1.20, so I figured it was worth a shot.

Well, I do have to say that I agree with people that the comics are generally way overgraded (I ordered all my stuff NM/M). None of the comics came boarded, just bagged, but surprisingly, the structure of the comics was in pretty good shape. The corners weren't too bad, not many stress lines. What I did find on about 80% of the comics were color problems, either colors being really faded or stains/marks on the covers. And these were very visible to the naked eye, so I am not sure how they can honestly grade them NM/M.

All in all, though, like I said, the comics were in good shape, for that price and with free shipping, I am still happy with my purchase. However, I am not sure I'd buy at regular prices, or even during regular sales, since I had read their moderns were usually always in good shape and NM/M, and I just didn't find that to be the case...

I just wanted to share this with the rest of the board smile.gif

Thanks for the follow-up report. I'd agree that the books you describe don't sound like NM, and given that they're moderns, they oughtta be. At anything less than true NM, you know Chuck's buying them for about 30 cents a pound.

I, too ordered for the first time from MHC recently, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the results. Out of roughly 30 books, only 3 were overgraded. An Incredible Hulk #195 was advertised at NM and arrived in about F/VF, but hey it was only $2.80. The prices were great, although it took a 50% off plus an additional 30% off sale to make them that way. For $428 shipped, I got the following 4 CGC books:

Amazing Spider-Man #194 9.6 OW/W

AmazingSpider-Man #300 9.6 OW/W

Uncanny X-Men #113 9.4 W

Uncanny X-Men #119 9.6 W

Also, for $32 I got a true NM Thor #132 and a NM+ Thor #156. Maybe they are more careful with first-timers, but just the same I'd buy from them again. I usually buy from Lone Star, but they have been doing some [#@$%!!!]-poor grading lately so I've cut back quite a bit.

For $428 shipped, I got the following 4 CGC books:

Amazing Spider-Man #194 9.6 OW/W

AmazingSpider-Man #300 9.6 OW/W

Uncanny X-Men #113 9.4 W

Uncanny X-Men #119 9.6 W

893whatthe.gif

I'm kinda stunned that you got these for far less than actual market prices.

Do they have a NM/M on their site? I thought it capped at NM.

They have NM/M stickers on the bags. I ordered some 80s material, and they were basically VF+ books, which is what they guarantee from a CGC perspective. IMHO, approach MH the same way you would eBay--one point or worse off.

I picked up some nice deals on slabbs sold by Chuck, especially when he has his 80% sale which I think just started up again. Alberto how long did it take for your package to be delivered. The package was shipped a month ago and still nothing yet. I expect it to arrive any day unless the Post Man decided to take it home with him.

My package took about a full week (maybe 8-9 days tops) from the day I got the 3rd email from Mile High, so it wasn't all that bad.

They sent the packages to me via UPS ground, and they had emailed me the tracking numbers, so I was able to track it all the way. Did you not get tracking numbers? Where are you at? 1 month sounds like too long.

I didn't think Chuck gave discounts on slabbed books. Hmmm..I may have to look into that. thumbsup2.gif

That 50% off CGC books + the 30MORE thing was great. I picked up a FF #17, CGC 4.5 for $90 (GPA was $115). Not too shabby.

Seven years ago I purchased a few BA books from MH that were listed at $3 each and in NM/M condition (at least that's what the label said). I sent in Incredible Hulk #195, Justice League of America #122, and Defenders #18 to be CGC graded and received 9.4's on all of them. However, some of the other books that were listed as NM/M (Captain Marvel #13, Defenders #24, etc.) are probably in VF+ condition. I didn't send those in to be graded.

There's a "50-80%" off sale right now, and for slabbed books that tends to mean 50% off. No additional 30%, and really, that's what makes MH's slabbed books a bargain. I peeked through some of their pages, and the 50% off tends to take most of the books down to their GPA thru GPA + 20%.