• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE 2014 SKETCH COVER SUPER/MEGA THREAD

1,468 posts in this topic

Phil Noto - North Carolina Comiccon, Nov 9, 2013

Just got this back from grading, so I'll post it in this year's thread (with Mayor006's blessing).

Big thanks to the assist from Bret, and of course Phil for the beautiful piece. Phil was sketching like a speed demon, trying to accommodate as many fans as possible. I'm thrilled with the piece because I haven't seen too many action poses from Phil on sketch covers. Apologies for the blurry scan.

2isgxaa.jpg

Nice sketch, congrats! Definitely one of the better Noto sketches I've seen and it's mostly due to the action pose, as you say. I'm usually not a big fan of Noto as his sketches seem to me like they're all of the same girl cosplaying as different characters. And the girl in question isn't very photogenic as she's always doing the same lifeless pose with a blank expression on her face. I know that's harsh but it's honestly how I feel about the majority of his sketches, heh. He's just not my cup of tea, I guess.

Really appreciate the compliments guys!

And Hans, I don't think you are being harsh. lol You are just saying what we've all been thinking about Phil's work. In fact, you summed it up perfectly. It's my first sketch from Phil, and I specifically asked him to draw me an action pose because I didn't want one of those lifeless poses and an expressionless face. I think he did a good job on the pose and the expression this time actually suits it. I think it would have been a better piece if he had covered over the 'Marvel Now' logo, but I guess he probably has an directive to never hide the company logo. ;) And based upon what he charged, I couldn't be happier! Given his gallery showings and the painted pieces that he sometimes has at the Cons, we all know he is capable of so much more. But I think he is trying to slam out sketches so fast at the Cons, that he defaults to the 'lackluster' style unless otherwise asked. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep getting better pieces from him, such that, I'll make you a convert. ;) BTW, you need to share how you created that signature; it's awesome!

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep getting better pieces from him, such that, I'll make you a convert. ;) BTW, you need to share how you created that signature; it's awesome!

Stranger things have happened. As for the signature, I created the images individually in Photoshop and used this online tool to turn them into an animated gif. And thanks!

For my thirtieth birthday my daughter drew a Graham Nolan inspired Bane cover for me which I deeply treasure. A while back, I contacted Graham Nolan himself about a sketch for my birthday, and it came in today. I asked for no progress pics, as I wanted to be surprised. I was, and still am, completely and utterly blown away.

banebday_zps7eec3643.jpg

For my thirtieth birthday my daughter drew a Graham Nolan inspired Bane cover for me which I deeply treasure. A while back, I contacted Graham Nolan himself about a sketch for my birthday, and it came in today. I asked for no progress pics, as I wanted to be surprised. I was, and still am, completely and utterly blown away.

banebday_zps7eec3643.jpg

:applause:

banebday_zps7eec3643.jpg

NICE!!!

:golfclap:

banebday_zps7eec3643.jpg

Very nice! :applause:

I'm a huge fan of personalized sketches like this.

Hey guys been a huge fan of sketches and threads like these for a while, finally diving into the game starting w/ Wizard World Atlanta.

Just wondering how much input do you usually have to give artists? Reference photos, positions or actions you want in your sketch? Or do they prefer that you just give them the room to do their own thing?