• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE 2014 SKETCH COVER SUPER/MEGA THREAD

1,468 posts in this topic

Sara Richard for a boardie

2A777105-82AA-43C7-B8E1-8834AE0BA72B_zpsl0bym3l0.jpg

[font:Book Antiqua]I know I am going to be in trouble for saying this...

but she used to be WAY BETTER or she is not trying anymore...[/font]

2c

Maybe it was an off day for her or maybe this is how her at con sketches look in general. I have had several artists tell me their sketches look better on ones they can do in the comfort of their own home studio than at cons. In Mike Grell's own words when I sketch at home I sketch like a drunk 7th grader, when at con like a drunk 6th grader, and in a sketch off which I won't do like a drunk 5th grader.

Maybe it was an off day for her or maybe this is how her at con sketches look in general. I have had several artists tell me their sketches look better on ones they can do in the comfort of their own home studio than at cons. In Mike Grell's own words when I sketch at home I sketch like a drunk 7th grader, when at con like a drunk 6th grader, and in a sketch off which I won't do like a drunk 5th grader.

Sarah's art is either an acquired taste you like it or you don't. That's similar to a great majority of her stuff and I for one am a huge fan of hers. I Have pieces from her framed on my wall with all my other OA. Heck I even had her do the family dogs in one.

Sarah's art is either an acquired taste you either like it or you don't. That's joe a great majority of her stuff is and I for one am a huge fan of hers. Have pieces from her framed on my wall with ally other OA. Heck I even had her do the family dogs in one.

I love Sarah's work myself she is in the top ten list of artists I want to get a sketch from. I don't think the sketch the previous poster complained about was a bad sketch. I would be happy to walk away with an at con sketch like this from Sarah because of the noise interruptions and etc. at con

Finally got this back !

Thanks to all who waited in line with me.

Awesome sketch! Did you get to chat up JSC while he knocked this out? I have a similar sketch request planned for DCC in a few weeks.

He was really easy to talk to. For the most part, he was in the zone sketching and signing because he was late the day that I got my sketch. One of the first sketches he did that day was of a half n half Peter Parker / Spider-Man and I liked the way that turned out. Once I decided to stay within my collecting focus and get a Batman piece, I ended up asking for the split Wayne / Batman. Dan got a really nice Eddie Brock / Venom in the same style.

hm maybe I should ask him for a half Fairchild half Supergirl....

the split sketch is one way to get a front facing piece. He tends to default to the 3/4 profile for his typical 'first hour of the day sketches.'

Had a great time at C2E2 this year. A light year on art with only 2 pieces from the con:

Lee Bermejo Catwoman sketch:

BermejoCatwoman_zps1cacf398.jpg

And a finally completed Star Wars piece: original pencils picked up from Steve McNiven at the first C2E2, blue line inked copy done by Mark Morales in 2012 and finally an incredible color job by Justin Ponsor at this year's C2E2 who was a joy to work with!

HisFathersLightsaberMcNivenMoralesJPo_zpsddbbe953.png

C2E2 was a blast...great artist alley....great dealers....great city. Worked out that it was on my birthday weekend...what better way to spend your 27th birthday than at a con. Here's the haul...

Sajad Shah

32BBD164-F3F4-4A88-9603-940A45FF2BBB_zpshhpesmak.jpg

84F67FB8-DF4D-490F-94E9-6E3C5ABA7E17_zpsyre7j3tf.jpg

Phil Hester

33AEFD83-5E88-4DD5-AF25-5F8B390B7F89_zpsitbmrcpl.jpg

Adam Hughes

2F6E96E0-B60A-4926-84BC-E7CDF270CEA9_zps7umw9p0r.jpg

Dustin Nguyen

D8CF6EA8-6883-43F9-BCD7-914EECE375F4_zps6xmzhw1z.jpg

Scott Blair (original)

C13042E2-FF78-481A-BE69-CE338F2B6C64_zpsczoxhwef.jpg

Jamie Tyndall (Colors by Scott Blair at C2E2)

44C84222-A8FD-4437-A883-E7E4BC4224A0_zpsnuxyp6wo.jpg

Amanda Connor (she gives the best birthday presents.)

B0057B63-5A04-40A3-9A70-8A8559AF58C7_zpsdudjl2ks.jpg

Had a great time at C2E2 this year. A light year on art with only 2 pieces from the con:

Wow, how much did this run if you don't mind me asking?

Lee Bermejo :cloud9:

I would love to get something from him one day.

+1 (thumbs u

At a NYCC a few years back, Lee Bermejo was signing at the DC Booth. Some trucker hat, bearded hipster person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed asked Lee Bermejo to draw said hipster person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed's face on a DC Comics Board. And Lee, like the pro he is, did it. That also meant, since Lee is such a pro, that he took his time doing the sketch AND that became the only one he could do since he took so long drawing it. All I wanted was his autograph in my WEDNESDAY COMICS hardcover. I was absolutely livid. I wouldn't have been as angry if hipster person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed actually asked for a character Lee normally draws. The fact that he wanted Lee to draw his face made me so angry that I wanted to punch his teeth out.

Otherwise, great sketch!