• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE 2014 SKETCH COVER SUPER/MEGA THREAD

1,468 posts in this topic

Well I started a thread for this question which has garnered 0 answers so I'll ask here.

Did you coordinate anything ahead of time with the artists or was everything negotiated at the Con?

For the detailed covers, multiple characters, background, color, etc. Did the artist complete the work in that 3-4 day window the Convention was running or did you simply pick it up at that time?

Ultimately I'm asking if it's realistic to ask for a sketch cover with that much work involved to be completed in such a short amount of time. I mean some of these are different than the "regular" convention sketched aren't they?

Well I started a thread for this question which has garnered 0 answers so I'll ask here.

Did you coordinate anything ahead of time with the artists or was everything negotiated at the Con?

For the detailed covers, multiple characters, background, color, etc. Did the artist complete the work in that 3-4 day window the Convention was running or did you simply pick it up at that time?

Ultimately I'm asking if it's realistic to ask for a sketch cover with that much work involved to be completed in such a short amount of time. I mean some of these are different than the "regular" convention sketched aren't they?

There's really no straight answer to your question other than each artist is different. Some artist only take lists at cons and that list might fill up right away. Some artists might take lists ahead of cons. Some might only do quick sketches for the first hour of a con. Some artists might not finish at the con and take them home to finish. Some might only take 1 sketch per con. Some might not sketch on blanks. Some may never sketch at all. Some might sketch through opportunities offered through facilitators/agents.

My suggestion is figure out what artist you want to get a sketch from, google them to find samples of there work and to find either their websites or Facebook pages to see if the offer commissions and what they offer. For example Tony Daniel took a list and payments before WonderCon and had them done before the show. All the info was posted on his Facebook page, which I missed so I didn't get a chance to jump on the opportunity.

You can also search here in the forums for artist. Chances are, you'll find posts of what the artist has done and whether it was done at a con or through a sketch opp.

Hope that helps.