• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK #1 CLUB : THE PUNY LITTLE MAN LEAGUE

1,315 posts in this topic

with the spike in this book of late anyone know if the census numbers have increased dramatically?

Not really. Since July, 2014 (eight full months ago), when the price spike occurred, blue labels have gone from 697 to 769. A gain of 72, or about 9.4%.

-J.

Might consider it a "dramatic increase" all things relative. Just using general numbers but if 697 copies were graded in first 15 years (2000-2014) that's an avg of 46 copies a year (no idea if some years heavier than others)

If 72 have been added last 8 months that's over a 100 annualized. That's more than a 200% annualized increase if extrapolated out hm

Plus, the census is less than 7 months removed from July, 2014.

I went back to the beginning of july, and since we are just about in the last week of February, I called it 8 months. (thumbs u

Considering the extraordinary price increase that happened, I don't find a 9.4% increase in census numbers in that period of time to be particularly earth-shattering.

It should also be noted that the vast majority of those submissions have "low grade" (under 4.0) as the average grade prior to the price spike was 3.99, but over the course of the last eight months with those submissions, the average grade has now dropped 3.93.

-J.

About a hundred copies have been added to the census within the last year, more than double the average annual number graded before then, so yeah, that's a dramatic increase.

One other impact of the increased availability of this book that hasn't gone unnoticed is the number of copies available on the market at any one time compared to a few years ago. Per GPA, there was a 60% increase in the number of copies sold in 2014 compared to 2013 (96 vs. 60). hm

However, that's nothing compared to FF 45 where there's been a 60% increase in graded copies in the last 12 months. :o

But this increase doesn't account for cracked/pressed/resubbed copies of which I wouldn't doubt account for 30% - 40% of this increase.

But hasn't that been the norm for the past number of years? Literally speaking it is a "big" increase...or is it hm

About a hundred copies have been added to the census within the last year, more than double the average annual number graded before then, so yeah, that's a dramatic increase.

One other impact of the increased availability of this book that hasn't gone unnoticed is the number of copies available on the market at any one time compared to a few years ago. Per GPA, there was a 60% increase in the number of copies sold in 2014 compared to 2013 (96 vs. 60). hm

However, that's nothing compared to FF 45 where there's been a 60% increase in graded copies in the last 12 months. :o

The original question was how many were added since the price spike. Which would be the numbers I quoted in my original response. Considering the evidently massive increase in price, I do not consider a 9.4% increase in census numbers to be "dramatic". Especially since the vast majority of those submissions have been "low grade", which only further solidifies the notion that the book is tough even in mid grade, let alone high grade.

And yes the price spike also likely led to increased CPR's and I am also fairly certain other copies have migrated to other holders with perhaps more favourable grading standards. What percentage of that is reflected in the census ? Who knows. I would probably put the number closer to 10-15%.

-J.

But this increase doesn't account for cracked/pressed/resubbed copies of which I wouldn't doubt account for 30% - 40% of this increase.

But hasn't that been the norm for the past number of years? Literally speaking it is a "big" increase...or is it hm

This is one reason why it'd be nice if they still gave the discount for returning the old label on a regrade. That would help (not eliminate, but help) the skewing of the census via CPR.

The original question was how many were added since the price spike. Which would be the numbers I quoted in my original response. Considering the evidently massive increase in price, I do not consider a 9.4% increase in census numbers to be "dramatic". Especially since the vast majority of those submissions have been "low grade", which only further solidifies the notion that the book is tough even in mid grade, let alone high grade.

And yes the price spike also likely led to increased CPR's and I am also fairly certain other copies have migrated to other holders with perhaps more favorable grading standards. What percentage of that is reflected in the census ? Who knows. I would probably put the number closer to 10-15%.

-J.

That is the real big question going forward. The census now on both major companies will be even more off with the introduction of people changing labels to get a grade bump.

I at least turn in my labels if I have books regraded to make sure they are properly taken off the census.

The real game now is not only crack, press, and resub it is now adding which company will give me a higher grade if I resub it.

If we ever get both companies to do onsite grading you will see people getting a book back from one company then quickly crack it to give it to the next table over for yet another label.

I love this hobby. :devil:

And yes the price spike also likely led to increased CPR's and I am also fairly certain other copies have migrated to other holders with perhaps more favourable grading standards. What percentage of that is reflected in the census ? Who knows. I would probably put the number closer to 10-15%.

-J.

I only slightly disagree...the % is "relevant"...the 9.4% needs to be annualized to see impact...

this is almost 12-15% increase in one year versus (extrapolating out a year) versus an average of less than 5% cumulative copies being submitted each year cgc has graded...that is 200-300% increase in "new" (again, a relative term) copies being graded since the price bump...

and since the biggest the increases (percentage wise) have been the lower grade copies, then we can't discount that % of new copies that fit that criteria...

just food for thought...seems like a "big" % increase relative to the norm...

-J.

I only slightly disagree...the % is "relevant"...the 9.4% needs to be annualized to see impact...

this is almost 12-15% increase in one year versus (extrapolating out a year) versus an average of less than 5% cumulative copies being submitted each year cgc has graded...that is 200-300% increase in "new" (again, a relative term) copies being graded since the price bump...

and since the biggest the increases (percentage wise) have been the lower grade copies, then we can't discount that % of new copies that fit that criteria...

just food for thought...seems like a "big" % increase relative to the norm...

Either way right now those copies have been eaten up by the plentiful supply of $ ready buyers.

The difference between the 90's and early 2000's to now is back then it was mainly a USA/Canada product demand vs the current market has gone global thanks to Hollywood.

-J.

Approximately twice as many copies have been added "since the price spike" than were added in any comparable period going back to day 1. That's a dramatic increase in submissions. Not sure why this point is lost on you, but the fact that the sales figures increased 60% year-on-year from 2013 to 2014 makes it even more apparent that the price spike has caused a notable impact on both submissions, and of the supply of the book in the marketplace. (shrug)

Nothing is "lost" on me, I just disagree with your interpretation of the numbers. (thumbs u

Speaking of numbers, here's a few more for you:

In the comparable period between July 2013-Feb 2014 (before the price spike), a total of 46 blue labels were added to the census.

That's just 26 less than the 72 that was added between July 2013-Feb 2015 (after the spike). 26. That's it. A grand total of 26 more books were added to the census than the prior year at the same time.

I would hardly call that a "dramatic" increase in numbers. At least not in the absolute sense. Because it isn't. I understand Gator's point, in terms of "percentages", but even by that measure that is only a 36% increase in submissions, not the 100, 200% or what have you.

-J.

Nothing is "lost" on me, I just disagree with your interpretation of the numbers. (thumbs u

In the comparable period between July 2013-Feb 2014 (before the price spike), a total of 46 blue labels were added to the census.

That's just 26 less than the 72 that was added between July 2013-Feb 2015 (after the spike). 26. That's it. A grand total of 26 more books were added to the census than the prior year at the same time.

I would hardly call that a "dramatic" increase in numbers. At least not in the absolute sense. Because it isn't. I understand Gator's point, in terms of "percentages", but even by that measure that is only a 36% increase in submissions, not the 100, 200% or what have you.

-J.

How is going from 46 to 72 "only a 36% increase in submissions"? If you look at the increase year over year 72 is 152% of 46. Any time you have an increase, the number naturally has to be larger than 100% (i.e. 101 is 101% of 100). Yes, 26 submissions is 36% of 72, but that way of measuring it (by looking backwards, not forewards) doesn't really help in illustrating the increase. Instead, look at it like 26 is 56% of 46, meaning that there were 56% more subs than the period prior. When you go from having 46 subs to having 72 that is a 156% increase from timeframe A to timeframe B.

You can debate about whether or not that increase is dramatic, but at least use the correct numbers when doing so.

-J.

How is going from 46 to 72 "only a 36% increase in submissions"? If you look at the increase year over year 72 is 152% of 46. Any time you have an increase, the number naturally has to be larger than 100% (i.e. 101 is 101% of 100). Yes, 26 submissions is 36% of 72, but that way of measuring (by looking backwards, not forewards) it doesn't really help in illustrating the increase. Instead, look at it like 26 is 56% more than 46, meaning that there were 56% more subs than the period prior. When you go from having 46 subs to having 72 that is a 156% increase from timeframe A to timeframe B.

You can debate about whether or not that increase is dramatic, but at least use the correct numbers when doing so.

hm

I work with numbers all day. You may want to re-check yours. (thumbs u

46 (last year's submissions) is not 100% more than 72 (this year's submissions). 92 would be. Ergo, 72 naturally cannot be 100%+ more than 46.

46 is 64% of 72. 26 (the difference in submissions) is 36% of 72. That is why it is a 36% increase (difference).

And regardless of all that noise, the actual numerical difference in submissions remains just 26, which can hardly nor reasonably be considered a deluge of submissions after the price spike. :foryou:

-J.