• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,201 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Here's a wild surmise: did Con read comics? Police #1 is Aug 1941 & novel's first appearance is Jul 1942

0pol1phala.jpg

img613.jpg

Certainly possible. I assume he read pulps for sure since he published in them. He also mentions sci fi pulps as an avenue of escapism in the story "The Room With Something Wrong"  which I just finished reading in "Deadly Night Call". That was a fun collection (thumbsu

14 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I was at Dreamwork's book store a couple of days ago, and had more time to sift through some books. I found quite a few but for now will just post the best of the lot.

First up is the 3rd printing of Farewell my Lovely (1943). From the looks of the book I was estimating early 50's. I still have a lot to learn about mystery books.

image.jpeg.973cd2142ba648eff32ee5cf17150a79.jpeg

One of my favorite Pockets! Always loved that Hoffman cover.  (thumbsu

13 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Can never have too much Harry Whittington in your library!  :applause:

Nope 🤣🤣🤣  Thanks! The Golden Amazon copy was just fortuitous. A couple of very heavily rubbed copies came up recently, but this one was another ballpark so I grabbed it 🤘

48 minutes ago, Pat Calhoun said:

yahooooo - great stuff - here's my copy of 'Tramp' with cov that's a redo of one of the US versions...

0ladtra.jpg

I  looked it up.  It's amazing, that is actually the British version of the Handi book 1st paperback edition.  The Harlequin was published a few months after the Handi book but it's much rarer to find.  Not sure when the British was run.

From what i've read, most Harlequins in the 1st couple hundred had very small print runs of a few tens of thousands...