• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

just checked my copy of Werewolf and cover is credited to William Randolph. any info?

Mine also credits William Randolph. I find it odd that the artist is not mentioned in the Official Price Guide Paperbacks by Warren, given that it's mentioned in the book.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

Since were on the topic of cover artists I found this site which lists artists for Crime books. There's definitely a crossover for artists of other genres.

https://crimereads.com/12-cover-artists-every-vintage-crime-lover-should-know/

This is excellent.  Thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, Surfing Alien said:

Warren is my go to guide, definitely the most comprehensive and well laid out imho, but you have to remember it has 41,000 listings, so i've found quite a few instances where the artist was credited on the book but it wasn't in the guide. A reference this large is a monumental undertaking, and unless you have copies of every book, you're relying on info supplied by others. Also, it was published in 1991, so the scholarship just wasn't there yet for so much of the un-credited stuff.

I am pretty certain Randolph was William Randall, both stylistically and for the fact that Randall was doing both credited and uncredited covers for Avon at this same time and there is no William Randolph associated with pulps or paperbacks. From working on the Ray Johnson puzzle, i'm learning that a lot of attribution goes to "who was" and "who wasn't" the other artists who were working for a publisher or on a title at a given time.

It wouldn't be the first typo in Avon history. For instance the Avon Fantasy Reader #15 cover was credited in the US Copyright office as by "J. Gama" which has been credited by all the authoritative sources i've seen or contacted as being James Bama. Bama had recently done his first paperback cover for Avon (#267 A Bullet for Billy The Kid") and there is no J. Gama anywhere.

Enough boring talk, here's my copy of that spicy goodness :smile:

AvonFR15.thumb.jpg.ef668d0be03dce581d7f4e973201def3.jpg

I do love how the Avon Fantasy Readers... how to put this... creatively rename and present stories.  The cover story was originally "Flight on Titan"