• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, damonwad said:

Some Irish.

1422002718_IfIShouldDieBeforeIWake(front).thumb.JPG.5ecc53faced92f0f9790b52b90a8b248.JPG

Once again, amazing high-grade examples! I don't know how you keep coming up with such nice examples with everyone at home scouring online n all...

I know you've mentioned you like to actually (gasp!) read your books - are you able to do so without damaging them? I'd be scared to open them beyond two inches or so, so perhaps you are adept at reading at an angle?  hm

2 hours ago, PopKulture said:

Once again, amazing high-grade examples! I don't know how you keep coming up with such nice examples with everyone at home scouring online n all...

I know you've mentioned you like to actually (gasp!) read your books - are you able to do so without damaging them? I'd be scared to open them beyond two inches or so, so perhaps you are adept at reading at an angle?  hm

Thanks, but with all the other cool books being posted I'm obviously missing plenty. Now if I could only find that show where SurfingAlien's table is set up at.

lol No "angle" reading. Except for the digests, I need to get reading copies of most of the others. It's a pain, but with some exceptions, I can usually find beat up copies for a few bucks and pass on the ones I don't destroy to family and friends. I also recently got a Kindle Oasis as a gift and am surprised I like it so much. I still much prefer books, but as my eyesight dwindles with age, it's nice to have the adjustable brightness and font sizes. Having a gazillion books to choose from doesn't hurt either.

15 hours ago, damonwad said:

Now if I could only find that show where SurfingAlien's table is set up at.

NFS! I did say it was a fantasy :roflmao:

I'm not making the mistake of selling again, but I will (and do) sell my undercopies as I upgrade.

You do pick up exceptional copies :luhv: I love my minty books but my net is wider so i've become willing to pick up lesser copies if the price is right. a) I can read them, if I want to, and  b) upgrade if the right opportunity comes along. :headbang:

Some books i'm looking for never seem to show up in any kind of nice shape (shrug)

55 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

The mystery deepens. 1st print nn#6 with 12 titles and globe endpapers... laminated.

I have to say, the laminate is so thin and peely, I can imagine they tried it out on the first runs and gave up. The vast majority of 1st prints i've seen online or in hand don't have it and don't show traces so they must've printed them with and without in the 1st prints.

That said, this is a very cool, fat volume, in better shape than usually seen. I mean they are usually thrashed and heavily spine rolled so i've never bought one before. There are some cool interior illustrations as well, including a familiar skull hm

20201113_170605.thumb.jpg.71990560a5ed26032bdaf630d4843643.jpg

20201113_170624.thumb.jpg.a24791df7cc302bbe49a65093010d3d8.jpg

20201113_170634.thumb.jpg.204d411e8dfbf0d40d11c62d9a521e38.jpg20201113_170720.thumb.jpg.4039f781a32fd227bc8e5bb1d9c1a6ad.jpg

20201113_170736.thumb.jpg.ca0faaea260e33c0be9169a683203e78.jpg

20201113_170704.thumb.jpg.4fd20c1077ade43da2f61554782bf37b.jpg

Another nice one and interesting about the lamination.  I like the interior illustrations too and don't think I have any pb's with them.  

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

The mystery deepens. 1st print nn#6 with 12 titles and globe endpapers... laminated.

I have to say, the laminate is so thin and peely, I can imagine they tried it out on the first runs and gave up. The vast majority of 1st prints i've seen online or in hand don't have it and don't show traces so they must've printed them with and without in the 1st prints.

That said, this is a very cool, fat volume, in better shape than usually seen. I mean they are usually thrashed and heavily spine rolled so i've never bought one before. There are some cool interior illustrations as well, including a familiar skull hm

20201113_170605.thumb.jpg.71990560a5ed26032bdaf630d4843643.jpg

Very interesting...

I suppose this could be a prototype of some sort as well.  Alternately, they could have run a small number of the original press run with laminate as a whole.  Which doesn't explain the color shift on The Big Four...

Or it may just be a reminder that, at this late date, we may never figure out exactly what was going on during the start-up of paperback printing!

Awesome pick-up, in any case.

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Alternately, they could have run a small number of the original press run with laminate as a whole. 

I think this is the most likely scenario as i've seen a few others (including a copy of #11 on ebay now.) Your color shift is more likely a trial run, although, as you say, we may never know.

20 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Took a brief break from sci-fi and mystery as I found this book in the wild a few days ago. Somehow I had never gotten around to reading a Doc Savage story until now.  Originally written in 1934 Doc's team of 5 experts in various fields foreshadows various comic book teams. For some reason the S.A. team of Challengers of the Unknown comes to mind first.

scan0383.jpg

1 Doc Savage Paperback down, 131 to go!

Curiously, that's actually the Doc Savage paperback with the highest total print run, even more than the first book.

9 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

131 :whatthe:   The story is quite good in this one, perhaps that explains the high print run.

132 total.  96 stories in single volumes; 15 double volumes (numbered 97-126); 13 Omnibus editions (numbered 1-13) that have 4 or 5 stories in each; and 8 new novels.  The doubles are the hardest to track down in general, although each era has some books that are harder and some that are easier to locate.  It took me about 20 years to put together the run.

Most of my copies are in storage, but I've picked up several duplicates over the years, and not all of those have made it to storage to compare with my other copies.  Here are the first and last books in the reprint series.  Not sure why I have a copy of #1 beat up like that; I suspect it was in a quarter bin at goodwill or something and I couldn't resist rescuing it:

Doc_Savage_001.jpg

Doc_Savage_o13.jpg