• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,933 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is a ridiculously hard to find paperback!  I bought the far more common The Golden Amazon's Triumph thinking it'll be a nice little set to complete.  Had no idea it would be a many year project!  :cry:

Early Harlequins, especially the first 300, are just ridiculous in any decent grade... and the most desirable ones, the SF, Whittington & Day Keene etc... are just not for sale anywhere. You'd love the Keene & Whittingtons, they're funky copies of the Phantoms,  kinda like the Aussie Phantoms, but a little closer to home...

27 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

By way of comparison (to The Golden Amazon), The Lost World by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Harlequin 238), which I thought might be hard to find is not. (shrug)  A search on the Abe site reveals 8 copies are currently for sale.

Likely one of the biggest print runs they ever did. And look at those copies... How much $ for a fine copy with no, or minimal creases?

Now think about The Golden Amazon :headbang:

15 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

Likely one of the biggest print runs they ever did. And look at those copies... How much $ for a fine copy with no, or minimal creases?

Now think about The Golden Amazon :headbang:

I'm thinking I would have to pull off something like the scene pictured below to have enough funds. lol

armoredecarMV.jpeg

Edited by frozentundraguy

Oh, good on you. Just the display of those beauties is a tremendous and wonderful evocation of the Woolrich legacy. When I was a kid, intolerant of anything but pulp SF and ignorant of the fact that Woolrich qualified in that group too, I always knew he was waiting for me, and every time they played that silly song of 'Night Has a 1000 Eyes' on the radio I would smile in anticipation. Decades later, when I got a copy of the Dell and read it: all promises were fulfilled. Thank you.

Edited by Pat Calhoun

1 hour ago, Pat Calhoun said:

Oh, good on you. Just the display of those beauties is a tremendous and wonderful evocation of the Woolrich legacy. When I was a kid, intolerant of anything but pulp SF and ignorant of the fact that Woolrich qualified in that group too, I always knew he was waiting for me, and every time they played that silly song of 'Night Has a 1000 Eyes' on the radio I would smile in anticipation. Decades later, when I got a copy of the Dell and read it: all promises were fulfilled. Thank you.

Thank you and for the nudge to start reading his books in the first place. I could do without ever hearing that song again but I'm glad the decades wait was worth it for you.

I just noticed they made a film version (1948) with Edward G. Robinson that I'll have to try to track down.

5 hours ago, Pat Calhoun said:

When I was a kid, intolerant of anything but pulp SF and ignorant of the fact that Woolrich qualified in that group too, I always knew he was waiting for me,

Sounds familiar... was a sci fi freak as well, always thirsty for the beyond, but time turned the mind toward the quality of suspense and landed here.

Beside Woolrich, really loving Day Keene right now. Just finished "This is Murder, Mr. Herbert" and like the light hearted twists. I was expecting downbeat endings but was pleasantly surprised... at least with these short stories...