• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,160 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2023 at 8:27 PM, frozentundraguy said:

This is a bit off the normal thread, as it's a HB. However it's from my Father in-law and is now by far my oldest hard cover book. Per a small note near the front of the book it was originally published by Miller, Orton, and Mulligan in 1855. This book was published in 1871 by Lee and Shepard Publishers. Without further ado here is "Wild Scenes of a Hunters Life", with 300 illustrations. The drawing of the ocelot really stood out as possibly being the best illustration in the book.

hunters_life_1871_cover.jpeg

hunters_life_1871_PG01.jpeg

hunters_life_1871_PG02.jpeg

hunters_life_1871_moose.jpeg

hunters_life_1871_ocelot.jpeg

I was fascinated by Ocelots as a youth reading biology texts. That's a great image. Books were such high quality then!

So, was glancing over at my bookshelf (it's near my desk) and notice something I had missed when I first got the book a few days ago.  D-194, Moscow, has a true wraparound cover, even extending to the spine.  Not something you see often on vintage paperback, is anybody aware of any other classic era Aces that have one?

Ace D 194 wrap.jpg

On 5/8/2023 at 6:46 PM, Sarg said:

The Hobbit is a bit out of place in this lurid GGA pulp extravaganza. Tolkein definitely would not approve!

Lol, Since it's the Ballantine library/file copy, it was in the same "grab if there's a fire" tub as many of these others so it made its way in, just as a valuable  vintage pb. At least I didn't put one of my Peanuts collection books in there!

Speaking of which, just picked up nice copies of the first editions/first prints of the 3 of the last softcover Holt, Rinehart, Winston digest sized softcovers. I actually didn't have a copy of "Ha Ha Herman", one of the only HRW books I didn't have a first/first of. It was printed in 1972, all three of these are harder to find than the late 60's digest books because Schulz was already being reprinted in the smaller Crest/Fawcett pb sized reprints which were cheaper to buy for readers so I don't think they sold as many of the digests at the end of the run.

In 1975, they went solely to the Crest/Fawcett small pb size format, which are much commoner than the first 35 Rinehart/HRW books. 32 are conveniently listed inside the cover of "Herman". 6 of the later ones listed are hardcovers with dust jackets which are exceedingly hard to find even close to Fine in D/J.

I keep procrastinating but one of these days I'll get around to publishing the 1st Edition points on these.

20230509_185325.thumb.jpg.8d0db7463b571b1b0ce447359ed0cbda.jpg

20230509_185555.thumb.jpg.3f87f71029f3301a86c3aae95ec57775.jpg

Correction ... In 1975, they went solely to the Crest/Fawcett small pb size format for reprinting the earlier strips - they continued contemporary yearly reprints in larger trade size paperbacks called Peanuts Parade, which are very cool to collect but getting away from what I consider to be vintage pbs.

On 5/9/2023 at 8:45 PM, frozentundraguy said:

PB's have been a little slow for me recently, but I did just pick up "New Tales of Space and Time" (1953) from Abe Books. The book must have sold briskly as the first printing was in December of 52 followed by this one in February of 53.  New Tales of Space and Time goes well with another by Healy book that I already own, titled "More Adventures in Time and Space" (1955). While I'm at it I have another similar compilation of sci-fi short stories, edited by Fonald Wollheim, titled "Adventures on Other Planets" (1961) with a Valigursy cover.

scan0852.jpg

I wonder why a previous owner felt the name to change the number on the satellite?

Ace D 133 S.jpg

On 5/10/2023 at 9:31 AM, Westy Steve said:

Cross posted in the Are prices easing up a bit? thread. 

This sold in about 1 day on EBay. Kind of surprised me. 

1CAF7B64-DAB8-470E-BC18-E31025746F31.png

Killer copy of a great Samson Pollen cover JD book. Looks unimprovable. Near perfect books like this are so rare, if any kind of real money ever comes into pbs this will seem like a bargain imho.