• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,158 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2024 at 9:19 AM, Randall Dowling said:

For anyone interested in a fun site to review covers and a knowledgable discussion on books in general, this site has been a fun follow for a long time.  Warning: large amounts of time can be spent on this site since they've been maintaining this blog for 15 years.  xD

http://killercoversoftheweek.blogspot.com/

And the latest entry, at the very top of the page, is a Nurse novel.  Color me SHOCKED that you would call our attention to this, Randall. :kidaround:

On 3/25/2024 at 9:35 PM, Hap Hazard said:

I knew I had these found them behind some books in one of my bookcases, first publication of Dune World, Analog 12/63 and 1-2/64.

For a short time Analog was printed as a magazine. Here they are:

dune.jpg

Do you have the second part of the story, Prophet of Dune?  That overlapped with the end of the magazine format, so 3 parts are at magazine size and two at digest, if I recall correctly.

I have all 8 issues, but this is the only one I've got scanned.

Analog_1965_03.thumb.jpg.dd33f5521133dbd4f15fba18c06e4b4a.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 3/26/2024 at 9:33 AM, johnenock said:

Need to find those Analogs!

Here's one of my old-time favorites from my youth:

Titus Crow Lumley DAW.jpeg

That immediately brings to mind the "Silver Key" storyline from the Lovecraft mythos. On some days, it's my favorite of all the Lovecrafts, but then, I remember Charles Dexter Ward, or Cthulu, or Dunwich, or Kadath, or .... :ohnoez: GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/26/2024 at 9:06 PM, Darwination said:

Working some eBay listings tonight and came across a paperback-related item:

20240326_172613.thumb.jpg.61a7b326a41a4c64261898c2ca3563f1.jpg

It's a 1951 mob/juvenile delinquency/drug hysteria sort of publication, a one shot mag from Designs Publishing Corporation.  Photos of the Kefauver organized crime hearings, gangland slayings, posed model passed out around drug dens, etc.  It's penned entirely by one N.R. De Mexico.

https://www.mediafire.com/file_premium/2dnn5o5hib3vrgg/Vice_Over_America_%281951.Designs_Publishing_Corporation%29%28Darwination-McCoy%29.cbr/file

(IA link will go here when I get it up in a few)

Anyways, N.R. De Mexico, pseudonym of Greenwich Village writer Robert Campbell Brag, might ring a bell with you pb freaks for these:

Marijuana Girl - Uni Book - No 19 - N. R. De Mexico - 1951

You can click that pick to go to mad rocker Mick C*cksidge's Flickr entry, the placard has some neat info on how the paperback was represented in congressional hearings on "low literature."

Or you can read a review of the book here from my man at Pulp International. The date is concurrent with Vice Over America, so it might be the same publisher since a lot of firms were in both rackets.

The later version might be more recognizable to pb collectors?

s-l1600.jpg

Bragg also penned (posting first printings, there are later printings of the last two as well:

1944 (artist ID?)

MadmanonaDrum-N.R.DeMexico(1944.Cavalcade)cover.jpg.f0c104e4e417ddf5213500e4856506a7.jpg

StrangePursuit-N.R.DeMexico(1951.SuspenseNovel1)cover.jpg.e12201961b352f4f11fb401e8f76a12c.jpg

1952 (pulpcovers has this ID'd as George Gross, is that right? I see it but don't see it)

PrivateChauffer-N.R.DeMexico(1952.IntimateNovelsDigest15)cover.thumb.jpg.03ef9b74b7adf3688c25afb06ba664eb.jpg

More bio at Booktryst (blog of Stephen Gertz who wrote Dope Menace which I'm guessing is an important book in the pb scene):

http://www.booktryst.com/2009/11/will-real-nr-de-mexico-please-stand-up.html

Anyways - back to listing :headpat:

That's a cool piece. I believe the congressional hearing transcripts are on Google books or somewhere, I remember reading the transcripts when I was researching Raymond Johnson and it was pretty funny reading the interplay between the publishers, who were like :whistle: nothing to see here, move along.... and the hard liners who were positive that every kid who read "The Amboy Dukes" was going to drop out of school, smoke reefers and murder somebody lol