• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,201 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2024 at 9:05 PM, Surfing Alien said:

When I got back into collecting vintage paperbacks 7 years ago, a distant, yet seemingly unreasonable goal was getting back the 3 rarities I most regretted selling back in the 90's 😪

Well, with the recent addition of the Studio Pocket Edition of Jim Thompson's "Sins of the Fathers", the trio is back in the fold. All three of my original copies were pulled out of the ceiling-high stacked boxes in the  "store" of Mike, the Greenwich Village beatnik who sold his collection out of his basement apartment, many to me, in the early 1980's when I roamed West 4th Street in search of paper treasure.

These 3 are the "Top Of The Bill" as far as I'm concerned in the vintage paperback world as far as the combo of rarity and desirability. YMMV

20240512_175934.thumb.jpg.f67c81c1079823300e1a378906fbd6b8.jpg

(worship)

On 5/14/2024 at 7:47 PM, Darwination said:

Maybe a paperback would fetch more if you labelled it "racist octopus burned alive by flamethrower" hm

The comic didn't have to be named such to be worth a lot, it's just the sad fate of the paperbacks to be worth less (not worthless!) :( 

These are not cheap paperbacks :D

The subject of Heade came up in a conversation this week with a pal (re: a unique sense of color, use of opaques, the tendency of clothes to look barely glued on).  I was prompted to go looking for OA at Heritage and only found a couple of pieces.  Is there a trove of Heade art somewhere, or is it lost? I've heard watercolors are more vulnerable to the ravages of time...I know next to nothing about him.  I see there's a couple of Heade art books, anybody recommend them?

I would recommend the Heade art books (some of the pictures are from me).  I have a Bonham's catalogue from 1994 with the big sell of Heade art if anyone is interested in seeing it.   My understanding is that most of them were purchased by one collector and one dealer, but that's second hand. No, I knew nothing about it at the time, and even if I had, I was a poor college student at the time.  

There's a couple of volumes but also a deluxe edition, is that right?  Trying to sort out what's what - 

How many paintings were sold? An heir had a large stash? That's great news in any case, many pulp artists are not so lucky.

I'd certainly appreciate seeing a choice page or few from the auction catalog :)