• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,381 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2024 at 3:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I sold my later print of this last sale since I finally found a nice copy of the first print. All I can say is that it's the Dickens trying to find the first print of this unforgettable fantasy in nice shape.

Bill Teason's cover art on this captures such a strange creature with eerie detail. It fits the story so well - is she or isn't she a witch? Shapeshifter? You'll have to read it for yourself, sometimes she seems like a very ordinary wise azz child-teen.

I had long discussions with several dealers at the L.A. Vintage paperback about how compelling a little book it is (and how no one at that show had a copy - it was one I was looking for there.)

20240516_121903.thumb.jpg.7679c3d00843f47ae8eac49077c1eaeb.jpg

I've been looking for a nice copy of "The Lottery" with no luck so far. Looks like I have to add this one to the list.

On 5/17/2024 at 11:29 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True High Grade is so rare on all the sexy digests, that they are all sought after in high grade. 1st numbering/printing is a preferred want for me but I'm an old fogey collector who appreciates the Canon - although sometimes 1sts are not available and maybe irrelevant to CGC-cover-only- is- the-Bible-Type cover collectors (shrug)

Can confirm.  "High grade" for most of those is a FN 6.0.  Anything over 9.0 is a seriously rare anomaly.  If I can find nice fresh-looking copies that have a few minor flaws (spine stress, minor edge wear, etc.) but no missing pieces or major creases, I'm a very happy collector.  And I like high grade books, very much.  But expectations have to be adjusted for those books or be prepared to offer serious money for other collectors to sell. 

Similarly, I've had to develop a tolerance for rusty staples that I never had before.  Rust on staples is incredibly common on digests (and also crime/detective mags of that period). 

Finding books without rust is a serious score for me.  :banana:

On 5/19/2024 at 4:40 PM, jimjum12 said:

PB244.jpg

Kind of a different George Gross there? (If I'm reading a flipped sig correctly.) Bailed my share as a farm kid in KS, so I always like the roll in the hay covers :bigsmile:

On 5/19/2024 at 5:45 PM, Darwination said:

Kind of a different George Gross there? (If I'm reading a flipped sig correctly.) Bailed my share as a farm kid in KS, so I always like the roll in the hay covers :bigsmile:

ZNAwkw7.jpg

On 5/21/2024 at 1:35 PM, Darwination said:

Barye Phillips is growing on me, the brush work is really rough, but those colors

Gold Medal 216 Paperback Original (1952). Cover Art by Barye Phillips Fantastic Magazine - Nov/Dec 1952 (with back)

Barye was "The King" to his peers for many reasons, one of which was his speed and ability to capture enough detail in an image that would translate down to a paperback cover and look great, without wasting time on too much detail that would be wasted when reproduced. That said, his spare style was still a thing of beauty as any study of his original paintings will show.

I've always remarked that it is amazing what he could do with a few squiggly lines. A thing that he did over and over again was the use of a few curved or squiggled black lines to suggest outlines and details on the color fields he painted as the main outlines of his images. It is apparent in her hair and skirt and the pocket of her shirt in your "Red Runs The River". He rarely outlines his figures because his lines of color were so natural.

My pal Ruben owns what is arguably the most famous (and best) 1950's Gold Medal noir originals, the cover to Gil Brewer's "Satan Is A Woman" He has it on the wall next to his working desk and any time I've video chatted with him I ask him to move over so I can see it better lol

The colors, as you mentioned, are amazing, but I love Phillips' brush work, it is almost impressionistic. He got so much across with a little wash of color, it is very deceiving to the eye when shrunk down to a book cover. Of course, his composition was impeccable as well. Joan Turner's placement over her vanquished victim is one of the all time fridge magnets.

SatanIsAWomanOriginal.thumb.jpg.c1a88d872a002a4d933a2a2d6f851ee0.jpg

Fortunately, he was famous enough in his time that there is plenty of bio material available on him, although it is crazy that there is no coffee table book on him and his work. It's estimated that he painted over a thousand covers in his short 20 years painting pb covers. McGinnis was more prolific but it took him 60 years to do what Phillips did in 20.

Here's his bio from Paperbacks U.S.A., which also mentions his ability to vary his style - another testimony to his greatness. He was able to emulate whatever the directors wanted him to, which explains further why he got so much work.

PhillipsBaryeP1.thumb.jpg.7445d424e8a409c594e69f206acb9152.jpg

PhillipsBaryeP2.thumb.jpg.ad50263d9fb4a64bce7a66830b80e148.jpg

On 5/21/2024 at 12:35 PM, Darwination said:

Barye Phillips is growing on me, the brush work is really rough, but those colors

As SA mentioned, his compositional layouts are top notch and (as you mentioned) his use of color is particularly refined.  In my opinion, this is one of the best covers on any digest.  To borrow a phrase from SA, it's a fridge magnet, for sure.  (not my copy, taken from the internet)

Fantastic1952.jpg.9f4fb1a319eee7438c0445cf4f836e23.jpg

On 5/19/2024 at 8:38 AM, johnenock said:

I've been looking for a nice copy of "The Lottery" with no luck so far. Looks like I have to add this one to the list.

I thought I saw one on eBay. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu