• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,997 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Surfing Alien said:

I just made a major discovery today about Ray Johnson that will likely/hopefully propel me to follow through on an offer to publish his biography/checklist in a major printed art mag. His info is still so skinny, however this bit of news sheds enough light that there's little doubt that the Ray Johnson initially identified by @Pat Calhoun through David Saunders is indeed the prolific Paperback and Men's Adventure Mag artist.

Here's an extremely rare digest of the 3rd print of this Jack Woodford title I just picked up. It's just an "ok" Johnson cover but rare as a digest reprint of one of the Diversey Novel Library paperbacks that were released later as Avon "Bedside Novels"

20210601_161800.thumb.jpg.1c46579a448897a65f41acc4dffb2796.jpg

You know, ever since you first posted about Ray Johnson, I feel like I'm seeing more and more covers by him.  Which sounds kind of obvious.  But I'm talking about hundreds of books.  As far as I can tell, he was far more prolific than Maguire or other cover artists.  (thumbsu

16 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

You know, ever since you first posted about Ray Johnson, I feel like I'm seeing more and more covers by him.  Which sounds kind of obvious.  But I'm talking about hundreds of books.  As far as I can tell, he was far more prolific than Maguire or other cover artists.  (thumbsu

Sunshine is the bleach for knowledge.. 😁

He did at least 500 paperback covers we've identified as obvious, but probably did many more, because he was an expert copyist and not obvious.

He probably did a hundred+ more interiors for MAM's based on limited info we have,  but few covers.

From 1949-1952 he probably did 1/4 of Avons covers, including Iconic covers in every genre... which is why his covers are burned in the psyches of all the original collectors...

5 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

I visited the Dreamhaven book store today. I picked up a couple of reader pulps and a few PB's. While not in great shape these two pulps feature stories by Robert Williams, L. Sprague De Camp, Henry Kuttner, Leigh Brackett, and Ray Bradbury. Tomorrow the PB's.

scan0571.jpg

Nice pickups!  This one also has "Spectator Sport" by John D. MacDonald and "The Greater Conflict" by Raymond F. Jones, which is one of the three stories that were mashed up for "This Island Earth".

1 minute ago, frozentundraguy said:

I picked up just a few PB's and mostly sci-fi.

Next up the Cosmic Computer with a great Valigursky cover.

image.jpeg.3d2a8c367c31ca3471e537f11fa54c4b.jpeg

Nice pick-ups all!  Cosmic Computer is not my favorite Piper novel, but it still has a lot to like.  I get the general impression the end of the book was modified because it was originally released as a juvenile and the original idea was deemed too complex for younger readers.

Hadn't seen another Army Romances in years and Bookzim shows up with one this week 😮 Not a Schomburg GI shooting an Imperial soldier but the Warren King covers are cool in their own way. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARMY-ROMANCES-VINTAGE-PULP-DIGEST-Autumn-1946-AMAZON-w-WHIP-Cover-HTF-/373603849593?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by Surfing Alien