• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

6,997 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, OtherEric said:

Picked up at Dog Eared Books in San Francisco today:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Both illustrations are outstanding! Anything at Kayo? After you mentioned that shop, I saw their ad in an old issue of "Illustration" Magazine and remembered you mentioned them.  Looks like a great place from your finds!

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Both illustrations are outstanding! Anything at Kayo? After you mentioned that shop, I saw their ad in an old issue of "Illustration" Magazine and remembered you mentioned them.  Looks like a great place from your finds!

I won't get to KAYO until next weekend.  I'm down here about ten days.

1 hour ago, Surfing Alien said:

Visited Kayo two weeks ago.  They had a fairly decent selection as usual.  Decent prices can be found and prices are negotiable.  Recommend calling ahead of time to ensure Maria is inside the store.  Maria is usually inside packing mail orders.  However, she may be out running an errand or on vacation.  Kayo is easily my favorite book store in the Bay Area.  Saw John Waters shopping there twice.  

E3029884-509B-4B8A-B47E-BC2BBF0532A9.jpeg

14 minutes ago, BitterOldMan said:

Visited Kayo two weeks ago.  They had a fairly decent selection as usual.  Decent prices can be found and prices are negotiable.  Recommend calling ahead of time to ensure Maria is inside the store.  Maria is usually inside packing mail orders.  However, she may be out running an errand or on vacation.  Kayo is easily my favorite book store in the Bay Area.  Saw John Waters shopping there twice.  

E3029884-509B-4B8A-B47E-BC2BBF0532A9.jpeg

Nice!  I actually saw John Waters walking towards the store as I was leaving a few years ago, but I didn’t say anything since I didn’t figure out it was really him until a couple minutes later.

I’ve already made a tentative appointment, I need to verify it in a couple days.

4 minutes ago, OtherEric said:

Nice!  I actually saw John Waters walking towards the store as I was leaving a few years ago, but I didn’t say anything since I didn’t figure out it was really him until a couple minutes later.

I would have totally gone back, chased him down in the most awkward way possible, and asked him something like "Mr. Waters, when you were making the movie Hairspray, and you cast Divine as the mom, was that the right choice?"  And then stare at him with a slightly aggressive, expectant look.  Not making a sound until he broke the silence first.  :insane:

On 6/24/2021 at 9:28 PM, Surfing Alien said:

A post from a FB friend...

Today at Bonhams in London, an astonishing collection of 1,500 mainly British pulp novels was sold for an incredible £64,500 (including commission)! That is over £40 / $50 per book. Yes there were many rare and beautiful copies, but there were many others in much lesser condition. It was a tremendous result for the vendor, who had assembled his collection over more than 50 years, and who had previously had a disappointing experience in selling Boardmans and Hank Jansons (including original art) at a provincial auction house.. One buyer bought the vast majority of lots at Bonhams. Does anyone know who that was?
This sale is a potential 'game-changer' as top auction houses will now be interested in selling our collections.

The books in this collection were astonishing...

Here's a pic of one of the dreamy lots with some key US books...

FB_IMG_1624584014342.jpg.a8dc68c9a3cfc06af7749bd2d825d163.jpg

I don't know if its a game changer but i've seen some strong sales lately and kudos to this collector for getting serious $ without having to individually lot out books over many years. Still, the whole collection went for less than one Promise book :whatthe:

I'm kinda glad I only found out after the fact or I might be headed to divorce court :roflmao:

Interesting. I’ve been quiet lately, but I still pick up a book here or there. And I’ve noticed there are less and less bargains. 

27 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Interesting. I’ve been quiet lately, but I still pick up a book here or there. And I’ve noticed there are less and less bargains. 

Yah, you should stop by more often :hi:. It's definitely tougher out there but I'm still picking up what I can, when I can. Trying to stay a little more focused and go after bigger books but I have a hard time resisting anything that's minty with nice cover art that I can still grab for a couple of bucks (thumbsu

1 minute ago, Surfing Alien said:

Yah, you should stop by more often :hi:. It's definitely tougher out there but I'm still picking up what I can, when I can. Trying to stay a little more focused and go after bigger books but I have a hard time resisting anything that's minty with nice cover art that I can still grab for a couple of bucks (thumbsu

I get that. I think if I could avoid the shipping fees I would probably do that too...love those glossy covers and vintage fonts. I guess I should clarify that all of these books STILL seem like bargains relative to comics to the extent that I hunt them harder when I’m saving funds for overpriced comics and miss my mailman’s face. Seems there are way less bargains popping up from uninformed sellers and the better material doesn’t seem to come to market as often or at all.