• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,343 posts in this topic

On 4/6/2024 at 3:10 PM, OtherEric said:

Such a crazy title, going from Saturn Science Fiction to Saturn Web Detective to Web Detective to Web Terror...

Here's an issue from its earlier incarnation with a Heinlein story:

saturn Science Fiction 4.jpg

This cover :D

California is doomed!

(a very noir influenced band)

On 4/6/2024 at 7:18 PM, OtherEric said:

It's over 550 that it gets REALLY tough in my experience, I've got 28 books from 501-550 but only 10 from 551-599.

Yes, and that last run of 50 books is almost all nurses... :shiftyeyes:

That spine is incredible.

Wraparound?  Thematically cohesive without a doubt.  I'm gonna have to see a high rez scan or have it in hand (which I absolutely intend to do) before I weigh in with any decisiveness, though.

I Forget where, but I posted at least a few Salome covers around here recently (Bolles, Carnahan, and one from a Cartoons magazine).

On 4/6/2024 at 9:41 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Oh, Salome is a wraparound for sure. Probably the greatest in all of the paperbacks, (possibly tied with the Gold Medal  "Seminole")

Look at the floor she dances on. Goes straight around to the back. Not even questionable (thumbsu

SLMTHWNDRN1953.thumb.jpg.c1c4eac3777ac58b930b22ac0e64710b.jpg

I still say it's three distinct images, but I do think it was possibly painted as a single piece.  Like I said, I don't consider it a wraparound cover, personally, but I fully understand why others do.

We can at least agree it's always worth seeing again!

Actually, let's get a better look at the cover:

AceD043.thumb.jpg.2521bc2d10598fbbbb8c2bba8dbd3da4.jpg

AceD043c.thumb.jpg.47579a248d028378f446b88dab01aa21.jpg

Edited by OtherEric

On 4/5/2024 at 9:11 PM, Surfing Alien said:

True, but those aren't vintage. If we start posting newer books, the next thing you know @Randall Dowling will be showing off his Sweet Valley High set :baiting:

Actually, after a trip to the driveway for the newspaper, a cup of joe, and a quick nap, they will be vintage. That book is actually cool to look at, but embossing and foil graphics don't scream "vintage". GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu